Question about icons and Termies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about icons and Termies

I recently bought some Chaos Space Marines to update my old CSM squads.
    And i found that there is only one Icon in it of Undivided.
    So i'm going to give my second CSM squad that of Khorne.
    Or is it advised to swear to Undivided as so many seem to do? The +1 attack does seem very good.
    Also per CSM squad is it best to have one or two Plasmaguns? I assume one to keep the prices a bit down?

I also bought a Chaos Terminator Lord and the plastic termie box. Now i noticed that unlike with the five metal Termies i previously had, there is much more choice in customization. (more than one version of a weapon)
    I take it, it would be more efficient if once more i take one of each but split all 10 of my Termies (my old metal ones and new plastics) in two squads.
    What composition of each squad would be best in such a case?

Also i'm thinking about making my new Chaos Lord either with two Lightning or give him an axe (daemonweapon) and a firearm of sorts. Depending on the troopcomposition, where would i best place him?

A lot of questions i know, but it's best i ask before i start assembling.
    Many thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Termie lord looks wicked with the lightening claws, bus if you want him to be practical, give him the daemon weapon(or a PFist, but that would be wasting his higher I :/ )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So i read... but hard to choose... hard to choose. ^___^
    I also considered using a combiweapon/Powersword.

As for Termies any comments on my prob with them? Given my diverse Termie armamanets in my first squad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm new to all this, but I went with combi-melta and daemon weapon (axe) for my Termie Lord... and he's tearing up my friend in practice games as we build our armies. (Although he is only Imperial Guard... but it sure is fun to be able to take out 8 guys at once with the Lord).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Always take 10-man CSM squads, so that you are able to take that extra special weapon, whether it is a melta, plasma of flamer doesn't matter. They're all good choices and your choice will be depended on the rest of the army.

In 5th edition close combat is more swift and brutal, and lot's of battles will be decided on the performance of our assault elements. This is very good for us, as our marines are built for close combat. Add an Icon of Khorne and you got an edge that no unit in the game get's without special rules (meaning they're probably in the Eilites section).
    Our main strength is that we have got real powerunits in the troops section - and our basic CSM-squad is one of them.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for my standard CSM, i keep them in 10 man groups with chaos glory/undivided icons on both. (the morale rerolls are nice to have, especially if they guard an objective). khorne isnt as noticeable on them, especially since they come with rapid fire weapons standard (ie they cant shoot then assault). i keep a rotation of flamers and heavy bolters on my csm, depending on what i plan for them to do (defense i get a heavy bolter and a flamer, because usually troops are whats going for them, offense i usually get 2 flamers).

for termy composition i prefer groups of 4 (use them as your termy lords guard), with a heavy flamer, chainfist, and combi weaps on the other 3 (your choice on plasma, melta, or flamer, i like to get 2 flamers and a melta personally)

terminator lord i prefer with gun and d. weap, lightning claws or a standard power weap are very inferior to a daemon weap, which is considered a power weapon (though at greater risk). i like a combi plasma, and either a mark of khorne and d. weap (absolutely shreds horde armies with good rolls), or tzeentch (similar concept, but a ranged d. weap is nice.) some prefer a nurgle d. weap for attacking monstrous creatures (always wound on 4+ and ignore armor.) its really personal preference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm no plasma?
    Do you ever field more than 2 units of CSM's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont use plasma much because it's expensive. the only time i really use it is when i run a karmoon special (4 terminators, heavy flamer and 3 combi-plasmas), and its only really noticeable against other marines and monstrous creatures. id rather have the mass hits of a flamer, or the ranged power of a heavy bolter. (both are cheaper too)

i use more than 2 in larger games, but i like my special marines (berzerkers, plagues, ts, noise) too much in smaller games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

its only really noticeable against other marines and monstrous creatures
    ... and enemy terminators, bikes, and light armour such as trukks, dreads etc. Not that we ever play against marines, they're only GWs flagship which are just about to get a very good codex. Marines increase in cost, so they're more powerfull but will get outnumbered by anyone. Thus, everyone of our shots must kill something and plasma is perfect for that - it fries marines by the dozen.
    Also Ork speedfreeks are some of our deadliest enemies. We can deal with anything, but Orks beat us on our own game - close combat. And they out number us. If we meet them we got to slow them down, and we do that with plasma.

Flamers are very good too, but I use them on my raptors. Raptors have greater mobility and that's necessary with the flamers template. Also, to follow ut a raptorflaming with a raptorcharge is devastating. Having an Icon of Khorne really adds to that because the power fist doesnt get extra attacks in no other way than the icon.

I also never mix special and heavy weapons in a squad because it limits the squads effectivity. Say you want to fire your heavy bolter, then you cant get into range for the flamer. By getting plasma guns for your units you maximize you target units, becomes mobile and can close into assault range where our guys really shine.

In small games I would go for infantry that can do everything. 10 man csm squads with rhino, dual plasma, fisting champ and IoK fit the bill perfectly. They slaughter anything in close combat and can shoot the crap out of whatevers mobile in those small points games.
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; September 15th, 2008 at 23:37.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what my force slowly seems to be growing towards.
    2 10 man CSM squads. However i'm still lacking one iconbearer and a plasmagun. I guess i'll order an extra CSM squad for Christmas.
    Termie wise i guess for now i'll be mixing some stuff until i can buy another Termiebox.

I was also thinking of fielding some Thousand Sons (instread of KB's) because i really like their look. How good are they? I take it they're quite good against Necrons?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast