Chaos Spawn: Slow and Purposeful/Beast Combo- Not so slow! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Chaos Spawn: Slow and Purposeful/Beast Combo- Not so slow!

Hey folks.

I've just got through fighting my first proper game of 5th and I have to say I'm very impressed with the Slow and Purposeful/Beast Combo for Chaos Spawn.

As far as I can see they work like this:

1) Movement Phase: 2D6 movement (like going through difficult terrain)
    2) Shooting Phase - a single additional D6 movment
    3) Assault phase (as they are Fleet) - 2D6 assault (choose and double the highest dice)
    4) Consolidation - an additional D6

We made an error in the game and had the Spawn Consolidating 2D6 (choose the highest) - but hey we're still working out the new rules.

A lot of people were very down on the new Spawn rules but 5th has made them awesome. My two Spawn managed to kill a Rhino (very easy with D6 attacks and S5 now that all h+h attacks against vehicles count as hitting rear armour), eat four Tactical Marines, and hold up the rest of the unit until my Plague Marines and Lord could pile in. They held the Tac squad for two turns and had travelled 19" in a single turn!

Not bad for shambling mindless spawn!

Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the movement phase and shooting, you will average about 7 inches (assumes rolls of 3 and 4) With a min of 2 and a max of 12.

So if they're unlucky they will be incredably slow, if their very lucky they will only be as fast as a rhino.

Sure they can assult with this (which on average is 6-8 inchest)

So on average (if they are within range in the assault phase) they only travel between 13 and 15 inches. Not so fast considdering thats if they are in assault range, considering the turn before they may have only moved 7 inchest, or even a possible 2!

Heck its even possible in a full game to only move 14 inches!!!!

In some lucky circumstances they can be awesome, but in a lot of circumstances, they are just too expensive and too unreliable.

Spending 160 pts on 4 of them helps a little as they then get at least a better chance of some of them moving at a reasonable speed. But considdering how fradgile they are, how this is 2 kill points you could give away, and they are quite dealable with in combat its expensive and risky.

Not saying they dont have their uses, an occasional gift of chaos, a lucky set of rolls, But for 40 pts a pop (just a little less than 3 marines) your paying a lot for a risky, not massively effective unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by confused_gordy View Post
    In some lucky circumstances they can be awesome, but in a lot of circumstances, they are just too expensive and too unreliable.

I like them because of the potential threat value they have. You can unleash them to go tank hunting and the enemy can't ignore them without running the risk that they'll murder his armour.

T5 is not to be ignored either. With 3 wounds a piece it takes a lot of bolter fire to hurt them and Impy Guard Lasguns can hardly touch them.

I'd love for a Ordanance weapon to target them during a game.

Why?

Well a Battle cannon would inflict a single wound on each Spawn (no instant death because of T5) and they'd just keep on trucking. That sort of weapon would kill an ENTIRE CMS squad in a single shot!

As far as I'm concerned ever time some one shoots my Spawn it's a unit that's not shooting at my precious CMS squads.

Bring the pain!
    Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

You could also put them in front of your advancing infantry units to screen them, providing a 4+ cover save.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

+ Reply to Thread