Number of models in a unit - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Number of models in a unit

A guy at my game shop told me yesterday Plague marines actually do better in terams of 7 instead of 10, berserkers do better in groups of 8 and noise amriens do better in groups of 6. Is this true, is it better to send themin the number of their god than to send them in 10 man groups

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Hashulaman View Post
    A guy at my game shop told me yesterday Plague marines actually do better in terams of 7 instead of 10, berserkers do better in groups of 8 and noise amriens do better in groups of 6. Is this true, is it better to send themin the number of their god than to send them in 10 man groups
    while he may be trying to help you the favored numbers that they are in currently do nothing to assist the different units in operation.
    10 man groups may or may not be a good Idea based upon tactics and the rest of your army however. reducing those numbers due to favored number is just a fluffy thing to do and does not boost your chacnes of winning a game.
    I always field my nurgle units in squads of 7, and thousand sons in squads of 9.
    I do it because its fluffy fun
    Dear Game Designer,
    Rock is Cheese. Paper is fine.
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

I agree completely with Djinni, the favoured numbers are gret if your going for fluff. generally, I will use those numbers if I am doing a pure Slaanesh (Or whatever gods) army, otherwise I like to stick with either 8 or 10 man strong squads.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

This is both true and false. The cult marines are expensive and you might need to take that into consideration that a full 10 man squad isn't always the best choice.
    But the cheap CSM squad is best in their 10 man squads, as that gives you the chance of getting another special or heavy weapon.
    I play both World Eaters and Death Guard, and have found that units with their gods sacred number perform very well indeed. And by taking a number below 10 you can fit in an Independent character in the rhino too, to hitch a ride.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I tend to stick to the sacred numbers for fluff reasons. But it also seems to work well. It also reduces the ccost of the unit significantly without affecting its ability to perform.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

cult units tend to work in smaller quantities as well since they can have all their gear at less than 10 man.

that depends on the situation, however. i'd say that khorne berserkers are more effective the more you have, so you might consider taking 10 for maximum rhino/land raider transportation capacity utilisation. plaque marines, however can work good in smaller groups since they've got much staying power already and have access to all their special weapons already. this way you get some effective, scoring, yet cheap units you can park on objcetives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Whether they do better or not depends on your point of view. Fluff or Competitive?
    Ill use 7 Death Guard in a unit just because I have 14 (2 plasma in 1 squad, 2 meltas in the other)and because Im too lazy to paint more than that for the time being. (Ive another 5 lying around the place). With Bezerkers it will be 8 in smaller battles for fluff reasons but then in bigger battles it will probably be a bigger unit for extra attacks. For 1K Sons ill use 9 because thats what comes in the box set but I dont really fancy only 6 Noise Marines in a unit simply because I prefer bigger units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

I find that a ubnit of 7 Plague Marines in a rhino is the most competitive. Less and you doesnt get enough punch and more and you doesnt get enough squads to divide your fire. It's the same with the Zerkers. 8 is often enough to do the job, more nd you got overkill and wasted points. I mean, if you need 2 more you're probably fighting something that's too tough to start with.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

why 8 berserkers and not 7? if you need that one extra guy then isn't the enemy too tough?
    why 7 plaguemarines and not 8?
    Dear Game Designer,
    Rock is Cheese. Paper is fine.
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

I don't know exactly why. They just seem to do the job, that's all. Those numbers are just perfectly balanced in output and cost. I hope this remains true with the new marines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast