Infantry Army Structure Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Infantry Army Structure Help

So, this is a call to all the infantry army players of the Chaos Forum - I'm looking to compile some strategies and suggestions, just for personal use, I'm not trying to make a tactica or anything, just wondering what kind of things you guys do in your infantry armies. And of course, it could just be used as a nice reference thread for people to bounce ideas off of eachother. I've played with infantry armies for a time and am just looking for help on being very competitive.

I'm pretty much looking for everything you have to offer - but some specific questions could be...

Havocs or Obliterators?
    What kinds of troops do well in an all infantry army?
    What do you find is the most effective HQ?
    Do you use Chosen to screen your armies? Distractions? At all?
    If you use Havocs, are they anti-armor or anti-infantry?
    What armies do you have a hard time against?
    How competitive are you? Or how often do you win?
    Feel free to post Army Lists for good examples
    How do you make the opponent fight on your terms?
    Do you frequently use the Lash of Submission? And how so?
    Do Deep Striking terminators fulfil a useful role?
    Do you use daemons at all?

Anyway, these are just some things to get us started. Perhaps if this thread is sucessful, we can start a mechanized thread as well. Thanks guys!

"If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Havocs or Obliterators?
    Usually Oblits for the manouverability (ahem) and the weapon choices.

What kinds of troops do well in an all infantry army?
    I like...
    7 Plague Marines PF & 2plasmas. Good survivability and fewer overheats.
    10 CSM with IoCG,PF & 2 meltas. Good combat unit and some anti tank at close range.
    6 Noise Marines all with sonic blasters. Fire support from range and can always move & fire.
    9 1k Sons with doomdolt. Plodding firepower against MEQs.

What do you find is the most effective HQ?
    Winged Daemon princes. I like MoN & Warptime or MoS & Lash.
    The monsterous creature benefits are good against termies and tanks and the wings add a bit of manouverability into the army.

Do you use Chosen to screen your armies? Distractions? At all?
    I don't use them. The outflanking rules are better than infiltrating I think as you don't loose your unsupported chosen squad on the first turn. Keep chosen cheap but because they are not scoring units I don't bother.

If you use Havocs, are they anti-armor or anti-infantry?
    I prefer 4 flamers in a rhino but we are designing an all infantry list here. 4 HB in a 6-8 man IOCG unit are ok. For anti tank I perfer oblits and meltaguns in troop choices.

What armies do you have a hard time against?
    Mechanised Eldar are always a pain to enforce a victory upon. 2 Monolith necron armies are also difficult for footsloggers.

How competitive are you? Or how often do you win?
    Not to blow my own trumpet but my Death Guard have only been beaten once. My footslogging grey knights are a lot less successful.

Feel free to post Army Lists for good examples
    Daemon Prince with MoN & Doombolt.
    5x7 plague marine squads each with PF & 2 special weapons (2 melta 3 plasma).
    3 Obliterators.
    Total 1500.

2x MoS & Lash sorcerors.
    4x8 Noise marines with all sonics.
    3x2 Oblits.
    Total 1500.

How do you make the opponent fight on your terms?
    Deploy infantry armies roughly in the centre and advance. You can now turn left or right depending on the opponent. Taking the central position alows your slow army to dictate the pace and makes up for the slower speed. Imagine if you sent a good proportion of your army up one flank. Then a faster opponent could move to the other side of the battle and crush a part of your army. Keeping things central and mutualy supporting is a must until the latter turns when you begin grabbing objectives and enforcing kill points.

Do you frequently use the Lash of Submission? And how so?
    The lash gives good manouverability to an army by bringing opponents to you to make up for all of your infantry footslogging. On turn one move your infantry 6" forewards and drag one enemy squad 7"+ towards your men and your footsloggers now have a target to rappid fire against while they all move up the table. Next turn you can do the same and even charge to get further forewards.

Do Deep Striking terminators fulfil a useful role?
    In an infantry army your icons (teleport homers) move at the same speed as the termies so there is little point. Deepstriking without homers can be done. Cheap Termie units can risk it (as can 1-2 oblits) to get good shots on tanks etc but you risk scatter and loose their firepower on the turns they spend in reserve. Icons on Raptors can be a useful way to deliver deepstriking termies and oblits.

Do you use daemons at all?
    Not recently, but they are scoring troop choices able to add flexibility to a quite slow army. They alow you to see which way the fight is going then decide where to supplement your forces with another scoring unit to grab objectives by the end of the game or tip the balance in a combat or two.
    Last edited by Mad Cat; September 26th, 2008 at 10:41.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

+ Reply to Thread