Help with equipment composition (new player) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with equipment composition (new player)

Hello LO!,

I'm totally new to 40k and to the Chaos Space Marines. I was in a hobby store with a friend and decided we should try this game out. We purchased the Assault on Black Reach kit to practice before trying to figure out our battle forces. I have purchased the following units and am trying to figure out how to build them (which guns to put on them, equipment) so I can use them in my later army. I have the rule book and Chaos Codex as well.

15 Chaos Marines (battle force)
    5 Possessed (Battle force)
    8 Berserkers (battle force)
    1 Rhino transporter (battle force)
    Chaos Space Marine Lord (purchased separately)

I've been reading some of the more advanced material like the army list section, and understand that most folks don't use some of these models; this does not concern me at the moment - please just help me outfit these characters to battle my friend. =)

PS: if possible, keep in mind that I am looking to build to 1750 points. Also add models to the list if you see fit (ie another 5 marines to make 2 squads of 10)

Thanks in advance ,

Eclipse.

Last edited by eclipseone6; September 29th, 2008 at 08:07.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

welcome to LO!

there seem two be two ways to go with chaos nowadays. either you make a footsloging army (lots of infantry with no transports) or you make a mechanized force (transports for your units, tanks). maybe you should decide which way you want to go with your chaos marines. you can choose a combination of both, but imho these extremes are the most effective ways to field chaos.

maybe play some games with either one of those army types and decide which fits you the best. mechanized forces tend to be fast and maneuverable with lots of special weapons and tanks but are fragile. footsloging infantry armies tend to have many models but are slow. they are pretty resilient, though.

depending on what you like better, the equipment of your troopers should fit the given situation. 10 men strong csm squads with 2 special weapons and a champion with power fist/weapon in a rhino tend to do well in a mechanized list. support them with some predators or vindicators to get long range fire power and more tanks on the field. berzerkers are also good for this type of list since they gain some needed speed with rhinos that should help them get into close combat quick.

footsloging armies need units that can shoot on the move and more long range fire power than mechanized ones, because you lack the necessary speed to get into rapid fire/assault range quick. noise marines, thousand sons and havocs should do well in such a list, since the cult units can march to objectives, all guns blazing while the havocs destroy dangerous enemy units (like tau/eldar skimmers, close combat power units and the like).

now for something less theoretical: how i suggest you equip your chaos marines and other models for the different play styles.

mechanized

chaos marines: meltas and plasma guns, many bolter/pistol/close combat weapon guys, champion with power fist or power weapon (try both, choose what you like better) icon of choice (i suggest either khorne or more close combat power or chaos glory for guys that almost never run away), rhino apc

berzerkers: skull champ with power weapon/fist (again try both, then decide)

posessed: either you use that small squad as distraction with no upgrades, or you get 5 more and buy them a rhino, then you could pick an icon for them (i'd take tzeentch for 4+ inv save or khorne for more close combat power)

Lord: stick him with the berzerkers to get a really hard hitting close combat unit or with your chaos marines to make them real close combat monsters. equip him with lightning claws or a daemon weapon. if he has terminator armour, let him deepstrike near your icons to support units in dire stuations.

what elso to get: maybe some terminators to make a nasty deep striking unit that can harbour your lord if he has terminator armour. then get tanks, tanks and some more tanks. get rhinos for all your csm squads.

footsloging

chaos marines: equip them with plasma guns for some range, maybe take a ten strong squad with a heavy weapon. i suggest a heavy bolter, auto cannon or missile launcher since you would waste all those bolter shots if you shoot at a tank with a lascannon.

berzerkers: if you want to take them in a footsloging list, take a big squad that looks dreadful and dangerous to your opponent. that should force him into some tougth decisions. whether he focuses on them or they will dish out some serios pain in his army when they reach his lines untouched.

possessed: use a lare sqad of them and give them an icon to maximise their thread potential. when your opponent focuses on them, he'll have to spare the berzerkers, which are most likely better in close combat than those. besides they are no scoring unit, so it doesn't hurt so much if you lose them.

lord: either give him a jump pack or bike and let him ride/fly in an appropriate unit to get something with mobility in your list so you can last-minute-contest or clear an objective and chase down faster enemy elements that hide from you (tau crisis suits) or try to outmaneuver you (infantry in transport, enemy bikes, jump infantry). or let him walk to the enemy in a footsloging unit that is bound to see some action (possessed or berzerkers).

what else to get: more troops. you need them to gain fire power, staying power and scoring units. maybe add some noise marines or thousand sons. they can move to an objective while decimating the enemy. since you don't have to spend points for transports, the increased cost of those cult marines shouldn't decrease your model count by too great a margin. also get some big guns in the list. i'd either choose havocs for more survivability and more guns or obliterators for versatility and the option on deepstrike to torch out hidden enemies.

so this got way longer than i thought it would. i hope you have the time to read it through nevertheless and find some useful help in it.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by eclipseone6 View Post
    15 Chaos Marines (battle force)
    5 Possessed (Battle force)
    8 Berserkers (battle force)
    1 Rhino transporter (battle force)
    Chaos Space Marine Lord (purchased separately)
    Generally speaking, mech lists are very popular, they are really effective against all army types due to your increased speed and manuvreabillity.

Working off this list, basic chaos marines run well with two special weapons, plasma or melta are the most popular, with a powerfist champion an Icon of your choice and a Rhino for transport.
    Id use the possesed as bits, upgrade champions and lords with the odd pieces to show they are being watched by the gods!
    Berzerkers run well with a rhino and a powerfist champion.
    Is the Chaos lord a terminator? Id suggest either a combi weapon (any are good) and daemon weapon, or two lightening claws. If you choose to deep strike him go with the combi weapon and daemon weapon choices, it still allows him to shoot while the clawed lord cant do anything.

Id suggest adding some terminators to your list. The 'Karmoon special' is a good unit, having a heavy flamer and combi plasma guns along with one chain or powerfist in provides a formidable deepstriking unit, able to appear out of no where and support a flank or forward thrust.
    Anti tank units are a must. Try either oblitoraters or Predators with lascannons and autocannons, dependant on your choosing. Both are good against armoured targets.

If theres anything else I can help you with Ill be more than happy to assist.

Dan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x1)

I did much the same as you did and got me a Battleforce box. The good thing about csm is that they all have both bolter, close combat weapon and bolt pistol so I just cut of the Khorne markings on the berzerker models and used them as normal marines. Same can be done with the posessed units. The posessed with wings can be used as a Chaos Lord with wings too, which is what I did.

As for what else to get I would recomend another Battleforce box if you want to go for footslogging as you get alot of models in the box. Then you could get someting like this:
    46 csm (this includes the berzerkers) which can be turned into atleast 4 10-man squads
    10 posessed, or use them as Chosen csm and one can be a Chaos Lord. The posessed with wings can be used to represent Raptors also.
    2 rhinos used as taxis.

Or if you want to go for mechanized I'd buy another rhino, a vindicator and some predators or just a rhino and 2-3 predators. It is important to remember that the predator box also includes bits so you can make it into a rhino so if you use magnets or something you can switch between rhinos or predators, depending on what you need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

thanks alot for the replies, I only had a little bit to read some of the posts but I am thankful. Later on i will read through a little more carefully.

I will send off some private messages for more advanced questioning.

Thanks,
    Eclipse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will send off some private messages for more advanced questioning.
    Ask them here so we can all benefit from the responses, please!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great info.

Hello, after close review of what you great folks were suggesting - I think a mechanized army would better suit my personality. Ride in hard and fast, do work on the enemy and leave in fashion. Now for the next barrage of questions:

Help Eclipse create a future army list around the 1000 range that can incorporate all of the units of the 1000pts list in an expanded 1750 points list. I have yet to play a real game yet, and I will be practicing with the Orks from the AoBR set; I am not concerned that I use every model from my battle force set, but I would like to keep / convert as many as possible into usable units.

Also, when you folks say "make a chaos champion for your units of marines" do you mean that I have 9 normal marines and 1 champion? and if so, is a champion model included for me to build? or do I get to be creative and create my own beasties? Also, I am kind of confused about all of the different kinds of marines / dieties i can use. Some say:, "if you devote to this god, you can only have 7 marines in a squad, or 6 in a squad for this god". Can possessed / berserkers marines be turned into other marines? does thier physical appearance define the model? or does the army list decide thier true identities.

This is all kind of overwhelming, and I have probably asked way tomany questions.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and great informations.

Eclipse

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Also, when you folks say "make a chaos champion for your units of marines" do you mean that I have 9 normal marines and 1 champion? and if so, is a champion model included for me to build? or do I get to be creative and create my own beasties?
    When you upgrade to a champion one of your chaos space marines is changed into one. So you would buy 10 chaos marines for x points, then buy the upgrade and you would have 9 chaos marines and 1 champion. There are parts for making a champion on the 'command' sprue in the chaos box, this has all the speical weapons and the icons on. If you want you could convert some of the possesed bits into your champion to make him ore of an indivivual.
    Also, I am kind of confused about all of the different kinds of marines / dieties i can use. Some say:, "if you devote to this god, you can only have 7 marines in a squad, or 6 in a squad for this god". Can possessed / berserkers marines be turned into other marines? does thier physical appearance define the model? or does the army list decide thier true identities.
    This is reference to Icons. If youre units takes an Icon it gains certain benefits that are detailed in the codex. The limits on the units size are listed in the units entry in the codex. Taking an icon does not change this. In the old rules people used chaos marines in there gods number as it had benefits, these no longer count.

Dan

+ Reply to Thread