Greater Daemon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: greater deamon of khorne worth its points?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

27 81.82%
  • no

6 18.18%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greater Daemon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greater Daemon

is it really worth getting a greater deamon of khorn? its 100 points in the game or is there a catch to that aswell or is the khorn greater deamon just not worth it? please tell me if there not worth it because i dont wanna look like an ass when i walk into GW and fight other chaos armys and i have a model thats a 100 point brick............

thanks.

I set fire to Space Marines to cook marshmellows
    because if i burnt anything else it would be a waste....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

The greater daemon in the Codex: CSMs isn't a Bloodthirster, it's a generic greater daemon. But you can use a Bloodthirster model to represent it. The rules for the Bloodthirster is in the Codex: Daemons, and that one is a bit tougher. But yes, the greater daemon we as CSM players can purchase for our armies is well worth it's points. It has got an amazing statline for it's cost.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok it says something about summoning what do i do for that? do i sacrifice a sorcoror like on Dawn of War ? or something else?
    I set fire to Space Marines to cook marshmellows
    because if i burnt anything else it would be a waste....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well because it takes alot of energy for the greater daemon to burst through the warp it needs a suitably powerful host such as a sorc, chaos lord or champion of a squad.

A very worthy investment if you ask me for a nice little suprise

edit: The rules of summoning will be in your codex, id love to post everything to help you but it's against forum rules sorry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, for 100 pts you get something that says:

''Hey you, troop squad over there. You thought you were gonna captrue that objective didnt you? well guess what, Im here now, and im going to feast upon your entrails like noodles. Oh and the best part, i just became detached from my squad, so they get to contest the objective while i eat you. Hope you had fun, now GET IN MY BELLY'' ...

...without breaking the bank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

I havent used one but its on the to do list. Simply becuase its a 'free' hq choice and is fairly cheap for the destruction it could cause. My only problem is it will use one of my powerfist equipped champions. Dont have any naked champions in the current list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

One of the best solutions I've come up with is just paying for a random Champion in a unit of Chosen you are hopefully already bringing. The Powerfist of the squad doesn't have to go on the Champion, so it makes a good set-up for the sacrificial Champion, plus, if they infiltrate, they'll already be near the enemy!
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by hotspike18 View Post
    One of the best solutions I've come up with is just paying for a random Champion in a unit of Chosen you are hopefully already bringing. The Powerfist of the squad doesn't have to go on the Champion, so it makes a good set-up for the sacrificial Champion, plus, if they infiltrate, they'll already be near the enemy!
    Whilst the latter is good, infiltrate is amazing, the problem with putting a powerfist on a model that is not a champion, is that it gets merely one attack with it (Two on the charge). I prefer a small, purely sacrificial squad of raptors, with 2 melta guns (Or maybe 3 bikers, with 1 melta). They can jump forward, pop a tank, and then summon the GD.
    An alternative is to choose the squad that your HQ will be hiding in (Assumedely, again, raptors), and then have the champion as a summoning platform, and the squad can still then have a purpose, as the meat shield of your Lord/Sorceror (Doesn't work with a Dameon Prince, obviously).
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

You can always buy champion upgrades on the terminators. You deepstrike the termies and then summon the Greater Daemon. That way you can really get the big nasty in a favourable position, and obscured by the big termies, he can easily claim a 4+ cover save (a bit better than his natural Inv Save that can be nullified by weaponry that attacks his Daemonic rule).
    A termie champ with the standard setup (naked but with champ upgrade and combiplasma) lands on 45 pts. A CSM Aspiring champ with standard setup (naked but with champ upgrade and p-fist) lands on 55 pts. A termie champ summoning is a bit risky if you happen to roll the greater daemon summon first. This can be helped with having 2 or 3 units of Karmoon Special termie units with a champ each. Remember that the termies fire all their plasma first turn they deepstrike, so you're not really losing that much punch from the unit if you bust a guy.

3 units of Karmoon Special deepstriking, and then a Greater Daemon summoning from them can be a really nasty surprise. It can be an instant army killer. Have then a bunch of units of Plague marines that can just whither the oncoming fire for a turn or three. While the termies and Daemon slaughter the opposing army, the PMs can just walk over to the objectives.
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; October 17th, 2008 at 20:31.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Ang
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

I don't use chosen or normal csm since 5th ed came out, i find termies work better when not being used as sacrificial bait units. I like raptors to keep their powerfists, and i don't consider losing a berserker or noise marine champion to summon a gd worth its cost.

I don't think they are worth it once you add the cost of the champion you just ate to summon him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast