Deep Striking: 1st turn Daemon tips - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deep Striking: 1st turn Daemon tips

• I just started playing 40k this year and i just built up a daemon army. Deep striking is awesome, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for staying alive the first turn, because after deep striking you can't move or assault. I need tips, especially what to do when going up against shooty armies (Eldar, Tau) as they will take out a lot of my units in the first turn when I deep strike.

Help? lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

You can run on the turn you deep strike

get cover saves from terrain and from intervening models

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Taking demonic units that shoot can help thin out a few enemy that are threats to you. For example 10 Horrors and or a daemon prince with gaze could shoot a SM devastator squad armed with 4 plasma cannon.

On the first turn concentrate your deepstrike units close (ish) together for mutual support and don't come down right in the middle of all his army. Deploy to one flank and thin out some enemy as you arrive. Further deepstrikes you can then reinforce your initial force (using the icons for accuracy) or risk it and deepstrike normally to go for far off objectives and rear armour shots on tanks etc.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually allow fast CC monsters to arrive first turn, diving behind cover.
    Second turn, my shooty back-up comes in, shooting the enemy, while I'm using the speed of seekers to charge my enemy.

Worked out great so far...
    The best thing about chaos, is your opponent's face when he looks at your disgusting Plague marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I drop hard units and shooters first. Plaguebearers/Bloodcrushers with icons, Horrors, Flamers, Grinders, DPs and the like. 2nd wave is slow, numerous, and hard hitting in the form of Crushers, Fiends, Bloodletters, Daemonettes, and so on.

Speedy units will fit into both waves so they can be useful either way, mostly by tying down the enemy.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drop as many BoC template units I can first, then come in to clean up the mess with the rest of the list. I have also been running a heavy Tzeentch list, so very shooty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by JMAD View Post
    • I just started playing 40k this year and i just built up a daemon army. Deep striking is awesome, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for staying alive the first turn, because after deep striking you can't move or assault. I need tips, especially what to do when going up against shooty armies (Eldar, Tau) as they will take out a lot of my units in the first turn when I deep strike.

Help? lol
    What kind of units are you DSing?

Tau and Eldar will be hard pressed to kill Plague Bearers on the first turn. MCs or Heralds are never a bad option as well. I would not drop any other troops (BLs, Horrors, Daemonettes) on the first turn, nor would I drop anything that isn't T5 with more than one wound or tougher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm sorta new to Warhammer, so i suppose picking Daemons for my first army to buy wasn't such a good idea from what everyone else is saying. Oh well, lol.

I've played enough games with friends armies (mostly SM and crons) to get a good grasp of the game before I bought my daemon army. But I've been thinking that maybe I just don't have enough game experience to successfully field a daemon army yet. I'd like to watch some people play some games with CD's to learn some of their tactics, but where I'm from no one plays Daemons, or chaos really at all for that matter. So I've been reading TONS of unit reviews and tactics posts recently to try and make uo for it, but apparently to no avail. lol.
    I played two full games today, and got rocked hardcore both times. (1st game was a random game of lots of ppl. I was on a team with two nid players and an orc player. The opposing team was three SM players and and Eldar. My team got pwnd (annihilation game btw).
    Then 2nd game was against an eldar army 1 on 1 (against one of my best friends). Even then using different tactics I just all out lost. I suppose rethinking my list is a good idea, but that also means buying more stuff that I don't have .... XP. lol.

Should I just keep playing no matter how hard I get worked and just try to recover from every game and learn something new? It's psychologically difficult to recover from getting beat EVERY time you play with an army, but.... I do like them a lot. lol. hmmmmm

Also, a question:
    1) The rulebook says after you ds, you cannot take movement (any movement at all). Doesn't that count for running and fleeting ?
    2) What about assaulting as well? Are there any units or abilities that allow /allowed you to assault after ds?

P.S. Sorry for the long post
    Last edited by JMAD; October 27th, 2008 at 08:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are deepstriking in the movement phase and the DS takes your movement.

You can run. No assaulting on DS, I think for gameplay fairness more than any fluff reason. ZOMG if daemons could assault on DS.

What is your list of units to choose from? maybe some people here would help you get an idea what units might help you grow. I know it's kind of daunting at times with all the choices...sometimes even more so when you look at all the different lists people put up, many of them quite different and still viable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm relatively new to Daemons, and took a Daemon list to a tournie at the weekend : I massacred some Dark Angels, minor loss to Necrons, and got wiped out by a 130 model Ork horde. One of the main problems was if my first wave icons got destroyed, the later waves were either lost on DS or scattered too far away. I had 1 Icon with a unit of 4 BC's, and another Icon on a unit of 10 Bloodletters. I was thinking of trying a fewer number of big units to reduce the chance of this.
    First wave (3 units, assuming the dice roll favours this half) :
    1. 20 Bloodletters with Icon, to be placed about 18" away from opponent. These are basically to protect the Icon until later units appear.
    2. 3-4 Bloodcrushers, to be placed closer to opponent, basically to present an immediate threat, and be a fire magnet to draw shots away from the Bloodletters.
    3. 5 fiends, hopefully landing outside of Rapid Fire range, but enough to get the charge in on turn 2.
    Hopefully there are simply too many Bloodletters for them all to be killed in the first turn.
    Second wave:
    1. Another 20 Bloodletters, with Icon
    2. Keeper of Secrets
    3. Demon Prince (another fire magnet).
    4. 5 fiends.

Overall I really only aim to hold 1 objective myself, and either kill every other enemy unit, or contest their objectives. It seems to works well for the single objective mission and the kill point mission.
    Any thoughts on this approach ? I know it's vulnerable to large blast weapons !
    Plan B is not automatically twice as much explosive as plan A

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast