Chaos Rhinos... Chariots of the Gods, or Pintos of the Warp? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: CSM Rhinos: Threat Delivery, Target Practice, Both?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rhino Rushes make me fiesty (You play with a 1 to 1 squad to Rhino ratio, or damn near it)

38 40.43%
  • Yes, I like Rhinos (You generally believe in them, but you have exceptions)

43 45.74%
  • Other (Explain below if you'd like)

0 0%
  • They have their uses (In a very limited capacity for specific squad types/reasons, you field)

10 10.64%
  • I'd rather be caught by Khorne riding with my mom in her minivan.

3 3.19%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Chaos Rhinos... Chariots of the Gods, or Pintos of the Warp?

A simple enough poll... I'm curious what Chaos players think overall of the classic transport of CSMs everywhere.

-
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Obviously, Feel free to discuss or explain below, though it's not neccisary.
    -
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

I'm all for em, makes getting up in the enemy's face (chaos's strong point on most accounts) that much faster.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

I'm 3-0 against SM the last couple months, he takes as many rhinos and tanks as possible, and I take none. You'd be amazed how easily you can destroy a rhino with 2 lascannons and 2 missile launchers when jucier targets are not in range
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

I generally run four ten-man CSM squads (2 IoS, 2 IoCG) in Rhinos. Besides the obvious, the extra speed helps getting Icons in place for Terminators (Karmoon Special, anyone?) and daemons.

The key with any transport is to not let any units get too far ahead. Isolation rarely breeds anything other than disaster; and you're only tipping it in the enemy's favor if you come in waves. Why give them one great target when you can force them to split any shots against more targets? Transports operate best in a concerted effort, at the very least rolling in tandem. (I usually go for a two-pronged assault with each prong consisting of 2 Rhino squads; one IoS and one IoCG each.)
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

In my personal opinion the land raider is the true chariot of the gods.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    I generally run four ten-man CSM squads (2 IoS, 2 IoCG) in Rhinos. Besides the obvious, the extra speed helps getting Icons in place for Terminators (Karmoon Special, anyone?) and daemons.

The key with any transport is to not let any units get too far ahead. Isolation rarely breeds anything other than disaster; and you're only tipping it in the enemy's favor if you come in waves. Why give them one great target when you can force them to split any shots against more targets? Transports operate best in a concerted effort, at the very least rolling in tandem. (I usually go for a two-pronged assault with each prong consisting of 2 Rhino squads; one IoS and one IoCG each.)
    Agreed. The "One-at-a-time" style of Kung Fu doesn't work very well.

The way I look at it, any rhino intact at the end of the battle is a wasted rhino. They are as useful as moving walls/portable cover as they are for transporting troops. One thing I like to do is move the rhino up, turn it so it's side if facing your opponent, disembark the squad inside. Let the opponent destroy the rhino, move the squad into the newly created cover and dig-in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I look at it, any rhino intact at the end of the battle is a wasted rhino.
    I don't know about that, I can't tell you how many times I've forced a unit to fall back from a tank shock.
    Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them

-Obi-wan Kenobi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always take rhinos for my squads. I've had luck recently by driving them up next to something scary like a vindicator, the rhino often only needs to survive one turn of shooting (If I get first turn), and with smoke launchers it's that much easier! Once the squad have disembarked, the rhino is a low priority target and can just drive around blocking LOS or picking people off with the TL bolter / havoc launcher (a bit expensive to put on it, but often well worth it).

Plus chosen with rhino's outflanking make people panic even more, it may be only a rhino but it's a rhino that's behind you.
    If I've replied, i've probably used Italics...

www.goodbyeboltgun.blogspot.com - Some of my stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x1)

I usually go to war with 3 transports, either 2 rhinos and a land raider or 3 rhinos.

The rhinos are really usefull for cover (bring your own cover anyone?)
    A few tank shocks and keeping closer then 6" of the squad so they can not rally
    Break a squad in combat and make the rhino follow like in a tank shock so the CSM can go back to combat on a other squad instead of runing the sqaud of the table.

A friend of mine started putting an additional combi-bolter on his rhinos and I do the same now, it's only a few points more but they can earn there points back pretty fast. Kill a guardsmen and the points are back. Kill a marine and you'va paid yourself back 3 times. Against mobs (orks, tyranids) the most fire power you can ditch out, the easier it is to win.

The only time I do not use rhinos is when I use a footslogger army and I have no vehicules.
    "Iron Within, Iron Without"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast