Help me get back in the game! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me get back in the game!

Ok boys and girls, I've been away from 40k for about 18 months. I'd love to get back in the thick of things but alot has changed. Can anyone give me the skinny on what exactly 5th edition has meant to Death Guard?

I'm going to research the threads that no doubt exist in the archives about 5th edition's changes, but if anyone could give me the reader's digest version, that would just be fantabulous.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I don't know what 1st-4th edition CSM did, but Plague marines are one of the best defensive troop choices. Being troop they can hold positions and are scoring. So when they take an enemy position they can sit on it, and the odds of being dislodged with anything but the most powerful weapons is small. Toughness 5 and Feel No Pain. They have lower I but they also have Blight grenades. All in all, Plague marines are excellent units for soaking up fire and living through it.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Plague Marines have gotten tougher and more expensive (I believe) since the last codex, and as a Nurgle player you no longer have Plaguebearers, Nurglings, or Great Unclean Ones, as all of these are present in the Chaos Daemons codex instead. Beyond that, however, most of the essentials of a Death Guard army are still around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Deepstriking terminators are STILL a great option for Death Guard, and compliment the foot sloggers nicely.

Reaper Autocannons are very expensive now.. but squads can be a bit smaller.

I'd recommend the so called 'Karmoon pattern' terminator squad to supplement your forces.

(4 terminators. 3 combi plasma. 1 heavy flamer. 1 power fist).

Additionally, the ability to 'mark' terminators is particularly punishing.

In 5th Ed, the nurgle daemon weapon is probably the best.
    The stacking of toughness with bikes is also an evil trick to play.

I think in recent polls Plague Marines have always come out as the best. Plus you can't go wrong with IoN Marines either - they're essentially the plague marines from the old codex.

Nurgle is looking good
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a death guard army in 5th and what i can say is the amount of punishment it can take is astounding.

I use 5 squads of 7, basically with feel no pain each squad is like a 15 man squad, great scoring units, nurgle bikes with high toughness are brilliant, nurgle terminators are very nasty, nurgle chaos lord with duel terminator claws can rip through alot.

Id say Nurgle is very enjoyable at the moment

and if you don't want to focus on entirely DG and use a few different units such as berzerkers you can! Personally i love my DG army but i also run an EC army, it's nice to stike first in cc for a change

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

But Tzeentch has better hats. So many things have changed in the new dex that you really need to buy one and compare but basically legion troops have improved though we have lost all the good demons are HQs are now boring but still pretty killy. And you no longer can live without raptors. Also not runnning mechanized infantry is just inexcusable with the exception of noisemarines.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

+ Reply to Thread