Soul Grinders & Daemon Princes: A Heavy Choice Tactica Discussion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soul Grinders & Daemon Princes: A Heavy Choice Tactica Discussion

So, after searching this forum I was surprised to discover that this discussion really hasn't shown up. I don't think a poll is appropriate, rather:

Discussion Points for a Heavy Choice Tactica
    • How does each compliment an army?
    • In which kind of army would you choose one over another?
    • What kind of army-wide strategies, or playstyles, do you think work with one, the other, or both?
    • What specific task do you usually find yourself using your custom Prince doing? Your Soul Grinder?

Many people at my gaming club swear by their SGs and can't say enough, and others simply let their DPs do the talking for them. I currently use a couple of DPs in a Fateweaver/Khorne/Slaanesh army and am considering the use of a SG or two. Along with being able to read your opinions on the Grinders, I thought this would be a great opportunity to start a sort of tactica on heavy choices.

---------------------------------------------------

First and foremost, I think we can all agree that the most favored use of both units is making the opponent poop their pants over such a danger on the battlefield. For an average of 130-160 points, even if your opponent destroys the model the turn it comes out, most likely he/she will have had to use all available weaponry to do so. This buys your footsloggers precious time to avoid those rapid-firing red zones while closing in on the enemy. For such reasons I usually find myself deepstriking my troops on one side of the enemy wagon-circle (when my opponent knows they are fighting daemons they usually circle into one centered group, i.e. "circling the wagons") and the DPs on the other side. This allows for the DPs to corral the enemy back and the troops to amass in order to survive the hail of shooting.

As for my DP specifically, I prefer a cheap build of only a MoT and BoC for a total of only 135 points. I like that it gives my opponent the glimmer of hope to be able to destroy it with bolters and other regular weaponry. Realistically, this DP takes a few full squads of SM bolter fire to take down, and every bolter not aimed at my daemonettes and/or bloodletters is a boon for me. You might ask why not just take another squad of daemonettes if that is the case? Quite frankly, the small deepstrike footprint allows for easier battlefield access, and the BoC makes him too scary to overlook. With that 135 points I am buying control over my opponent.

P.S. I will organize responses into respective categories and sort them out into this original post in order to get a nice tactica going.

Last edited by TreeSapX; November 4th, 2008 at 23:38.
    "L'adace, l'adace, toujours ladace"
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Don't give the enemy a moment to consider how badly they are being beaten.
    Never build defenses; let the enemy die in theirs.

"Audacity, audacity, always audacity"
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on the type of army you're playing. Daemons aren't anywhere near as one-dimensional as many people seem to think. Its more than just "run up to your opponent and get into CC." Sure that's a great strategy if you're playing mono-Khorne or mono-Slaanesh but there are other options and some call for DPs while others make better use of a Grinder.

For example, the guy who won the 'Ard Boyz semi-final in Greenville, SC, used 2 Soul Grinders and no MCs at all. He was mono-Khorne and just fielded as many Bloodletters as possible with BloodCrushers and a Herald on a Juggernaut running with them. Both groups for deployment were identical except for the Herald. A list like that doesn't need a DP because a Soul Grinder will have a range and speed advantage over a DP of comparable cost. Not to mention it is immune to Bolter fire.

If I were playing mono-Slaanesh I'd use Soul Grinders for pretty much the same reasons. Also them having Fleet would allow me to run them right along with my Daemonettes and Fiends. Using Pavane might make better use of Grinder shooting if I can pull things out of cover although the 1d6 movement is rather unreliable. Maybe I'm just spoiled from using Lash so much in my CSM army.

Going Tzeentch with heavy shooting could also benefit from using the Soul Grinder although if I were going with a Fateweaver list I'd definately use the DPs since the Grinder doesn't benefit from rerolled saves.

In an Epidemius list, Soul Grinders are a terrible choice because DPs can raise your tally. Plus Plaguebearers tend to perform like 3-year-olds with Nerf bats in CC against MEQs until that tally goes up... then they turn into Power Rangers. (oh no, I may have stumbled onto a stupid name for my Epidemius army...) So in this type of army definately go with DPs.

Personally, I usually favor Soul Grinders and I found this out by playing with both several times. I do have an Epidemius army with my 2 Nurgle Princes and I've been playing around with a Slaanesh/Tzeentch army with Soul Grinders and no MCs at all in it. (STDs, Slaanesh/Tzeentch Daemons) My personal choice is to save the MCs for Fantasy Battle and go with the Soul Grinders in most cases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been toying with FW in my list as of late and I think tonight I may try out 3x DPs with him instead of the 2x SGs I had before and see how that fairs. As noted with FW the SGs get no benefit.

+ Reply to Thread