Breakout Tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Breakout Tactics

Hello All -

I am going to be playing my first Breakout scenario game in a few couple of days and I was seeing if anyone had any good tactics to use for these types of games.

I am going to playing against my friend how will field a TAU force, He is the defender and I will be the attacker deploying in the middle.

We are playing with 750 points.

Right now I am thinking about going with the following army

HQ:
    Chaos Lord
    IoS
    Lash
    Terminator Armor

Elites:
    4 x Terminators
    MoT

Troops:

3 of the following squads
    5 x CSM
    IoCG
    Melta Gun

Heavy Support
    6x Havocs
    4Missle Launchers

His army almost always consists of 3 crisis suits, 2 squads of fire warriors, probably 1 possibly 2 devil fish and maybe path finders of stealth suits.

My current plan is to have the CSM squads + terminators squad race to the defender deployment area, using the terminators to suck up fire. Then I was using the havocs in the middle to destory things that deployed on the opposite site, while the lash sorcerer keeps pushing them back.

Well that's my ideas, I was just seeing if anyone else has some other ideas, like using less squads with higher numbers, or other units to use and possible different tactics.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chaos lords cannot get lash. i assume you meant sorceror?
    How Did This Get Here I Am Not Good With Computer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Ya sorry it is the sorcerer, my bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, about your list:

your terminators could do with some extra punch. i would group them with the sorceror, and kit them out with a set of combi-plasmaguns. also, why MoT on the termies? MoN is probably a bit better for the role you're using them for.

your csm squads are a bit small for my liking, though i tend to play with a bit more of a horde mentality, and you may get a bit extra mileage out of a MoS or MoN, though ICG is not bad in itself.

there are too many special weapons in that havoc squad for the number of people. the general rule is 2 marines for every special weap. this way you can drop a missile launcher and pick up the combi-plasmas for the terminators.

in addition, with lash, you will probably get a lot more mileage out of pulling the tau fire warriors toward your CSM squads, so your regular marines can butcher them up close (especially with 5 man marine squads.)
    How Did This Get Here I Am Not Good With Computer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

ok, about your list:

your terminators could do with some extra punch. i would group them with the sorceror, and kit them out with a set of combi-plasmaguns. also, why MoT on the termies? MoN is probably a bit better for the role you're using them for.
    I went with the MoT because I expect my opponent to bring more plasma guns in the crisis suits and having the extra toughness doesn't change the dice roll when going up against a Str7. But getting the increased 4+ Inv Save would help with that problem. But I do see the benefit of having the extra punch with the combi plasmas,

your csm squads are a bit small for my liking, though i tend to play with a bit more of a horde mentality, and you may get a bit extra mileage out of a MoS or MoN, though ICG is not bad in itself.
    Ya I was debating between going with large squads and smaller squads, since you have to get half or more of your units and you only need 1 survivor for the unit to count I figured that going with the 6 squads so I can have 4 units moving to the zone and the lash and havocs to hold in the center and provide covering fire. But I could see going with 4 squads with larger numbers and only getting 2 across, something to think about.

there are too many special weapons in that havoc squad for the number of people. the general rule is 2 marines for every special weap. this way you can drop a missile launcher and pick up the combi-plasmas for the terminators.
    Sounds like a good idea, thanks

in addition, with lash, you will probably get a lot more mileage out of pulling the tau fire warriors toward your CSM squads, so your regular marines can butcher them up close (especially with 5 man marine squads.)
    I didn't t think about that one, especially pulling the unit in so two of the 5 unit squads can assult them would be great, especially since it will allow me to move an extra 6 inches during a turn in assult. The fire warriors shouldn't last to long in CC. Though in a breakout mission I can see it being a problem if I get into prolonged CC battle because it prevents movement if it lasts until my next turn. But this could be a good argument for the larger squads.

Thanks for the ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I updated my list with bigger squads and I think this group has a better chance of making it.

Here is the new list

HQ

Chaos Sorcerer
    IoS
    Lash
    Jump Pack

Troops

12 CSM
    IoCG
    2x Plasmas
    Aspiring Champion
    - Combi Plasma

8 Bezerkers

Heavy Support

8 Havocs
    4x ML

Using this list I plan on running the Sorcerer with the 12 CSMs. The sorcerer will lash a group of fire warriors close to the bezerkers and the bezerkers will slaughter them pretty easily. I will use the havocs to rear guard against units coming from the other direction, hopefully killing any transports on the first turn.

Then its just a mad dash to the finsh line using the Lash to move the crisis suits to where I can plasma and missle them to death.

Plus if I get within 18' of a crisis suit I should be able to get my lash sorcerer into CC with him and take care of it with a force weapon.

If you have any ideas let me know, I appriciate the input.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread