Tactics for an interesting tournament concept - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactics for an interesting tournament concept

Hello to the fine folks of LO!

I've been coming here for a while, but haven't ever posted. I thought it was time.

A friend of mine is going to be hosting a tournament with an interesting twist - it is a 'persistent' tourny. Basically, we all chose armies of around 8000 pts and then play a standard ladder tournament with 1750pt forces. We make up our 'battle' forces from the overall army before the game begins. The twist is that if a unit or model dies in a previous battle, it cannot be used for the rest of the tournament. It makes for a whole new (cool, I think) tactical level of playing.

I'm going to be fielding a Chaos army for the tournament - I've only just started using these guys. In the past I've played Necron and SM. I'd welcome any advice that you have you give - from basic tactica to ideas for dealing with the tourny's structure.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Level 20 Alpharius Handbag of Joy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That actually sounds real fun if not incredibly broken as a system since theres no way you'll be able to make seperate 1750 point armies perfectly due to unit costs and proxying being dissalowed in tournaments.
    Nevertheless I would play that if I could know of a valid way to do so as the whole choosing of units from a reserve is quite appealing to me, where does this tournament happen to be held?
    (country included please cause I'm in Aus and do not know of foreign cities much).

Quote Originally Posted by swntzu
    What's volition? Sounds like an STI.

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

There are actually several different variations of the "reinforcement campaign type"

To avoid having to have 8000 points of minis you can also try.

using a fixed total points value for your games of say 8k points and you replenish your 1750 point list from the "bank" of 8k points until you run out. You can run this as either model for model replacement or the replacement of completly destroyed units.

Using a "bank" of Force org slots 12 heavy slots 24 troop slots 12 fast slots 12 elite slots where your list can only contain items still available in your bank this leads to really wierd list designs such as 20 man marines slogging and maxed out obliterator squads instead of a single one. Only completly destroyed units need to be replaced.

This is very compatible with a victory points table where you can get more reinforcements for to replenish your bank.

All variations of the reinforcement theme is very rewarding to play in longer campaigns so have fun
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Make sure you don't design an army list around a particular character that you can only take once in the 8000 points. If you need that character you could find it dies early.

You can use this to your advantage by knobbling enemy characters when you see them.

For example, if a Salamander force looses Vulkan in the first round then all his flamers and meltas will loose twin linked status for the rest of the tournament. Vulkan is a unique character so the Sally player cannot take multiples of him as backups.

Eldrad, Kantor, Shrike, Grazgul (sp?), Abaddon and the Fateweaver are all good assasination targets. If you kill all the inquisitors a daemon hunter player has then he can't include any of his assasins or orbital strikes. If you kill both space marine captains on bikes then none of his large bike units become scoring in later rounds. Kill Kantor and none of the sternguard score either.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Handbag of Joy View Post
    That actually sounds real fun if not incredibly broken as a system since theres no way you'll be able to make seperate 1750 point armies perfectly due to unit costs and proxying being dissalowed in tournaments.
    Nevertheless I would play that if I could know of a valid way to do so as the whole choosing of units from a reserve is quite appealing to me, where does this tournament happen to be held?
    (country included please cause I'm in Aus and do not know of foreign cities much).
    Hey Handbag - We're in BC, Canada, and its just a semi-annual mini tournament me and a few of my buddies play. Nothing huge. Generally, we do allow some amount of proxies, and I'm sure for something like this we could use a fair amount.

Mad Cat - Thanks for the advice. What does chaos have that is better than average for character hunting?

I guess the flip side is that I will probably only be playing an individual player once (unless I happen to meet them again in the semi/finals - its possible with our ladder structure), and so it might not benefit me to much to be character hunting to hobble the enemy in future games.

Actually, come to think of it, if I were playing a really talented player i could try my best to hobble them, and try to let 'newer' players through unscathed. That way, they might have a better chance down the road, and if I made it to the finals, I would be fighting someone less experienced.

(Also, knocking off a really huge character in the first tier of this tournament would just be... evil. I expect my witch-hunter playing friend to be rolling out the assassins.)

+ Reply to Thread