Weapon Assignment Dilemma - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Weapon Assignment Dilemma

I've been putting together a Night Lords army recently and I have a 1750 list I've been building towards but I've kind of hit a snag. I have most of my army down to a point that I am perfectly happy with but the weapons options for some of my squads are giving me a headache thinking about it. Basically it comes down to this. I have two 10 man Marine units in Rhinos with Icon of Glory and PF champs and two 8 man raptor units with champs with lightning claws. Now between these four squads I have the points for 4 Melta Guns and 4 Flamers. Originally I had each unit with a melta and flamer each which while tactically flexible doesn't sit well with me. I like a little bit of certainty and I don't like the idea of the squad firing its lone melta gun at a tank and either failing to hit or not causing significant enough damage and then have to fire an entire other squad to finish the job.

So I've been thinking of a few set ups and would like all of your opinions on which is best. Keep in mind these options are all based on what I have and has already been assembled so some set ups I can't do (for example two of my raptors special weapons carriers are already assembled and painted with flamers so two raptors have to have them).

Okay for reference sake the rest of the army is a winged/warptime Prince, 10 chosen with PF champ and 3x Melta, 4 Terminators with Heavy Flamer, Chainfist and 3x Combi-Plasma and 10 man marine squad with PW champ and 2x Plasma and IoCG in Rhino and then the other 4 squads.

So here's the set ups

Set Up #1
    Both Marine squads with 2 Melta Guns (PF Champs, IoCG, Rhinos)
    Both Raptor Squads with 2 Flamers (LC Champs)

Set Up #2
    1 Marine Squad with 2 Melta Guns (PF Champ, IoCG, Rhino)
    1 Marine Squad with 2 Flamers (PF Champ, IoCG, Rhino)
    1 Raptor Squad with 2 Melta Guns (PF Champ)
    1 Raptor Squad with 2 Flamers (LC Champ)

Set Up #3
    Both Marine Squads with 1 Melta Gun and 1 Flamer (PF Champs, IoCG, Rhinos)
    1 Raptor Squad with 2 Melta Guns (PF Champ)
    1 Raptor Squad with 2 Flamers (LC Champ)

Set Up #4
    1 Marine Squad with 2 Melta Guns (PF Champ, IoCG, Rhino)
    1 Marine Squad with 2 Flamers (PF Champ, IoCG, Rhino)
    Both Raptor Squads with 1 Melta Gun and 1 Flamer (LC Champs)

Or keep it as is with

Both Marine Squads with 1 Melta Gun and 1 Flamer (PF Champs, IoCG, Rhinos)
    Both Raptor Squads with 1 Melta Gun and 1 Flamer (LC Champs)

Which do you guys think will work best for me? My main opponents will be Chaos (Mostly Undivided or Mixed players), Marines (Salamanders, Black Templars and Space Wolves), Orks (both Horde and Speed Freak), Tyranids (mostly balanced), Eldar and to a lesser extent Tau and Imperial Guard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

I like setup 1 the most, as with the jump packs, the raptors can more easily jump into a position forn the flamers to be most effective. The meltas are fine on a normal marine squad, as the rhino has the firing points anyway so they can fire from inside it.

As for the rest of your army, if I may a comment on it, I find that you may be better off swapping those 3 meltas in your chosen for 2 plasma guns, and the 2 plasmas in the normal squad for 2 meltas. Also then upgrade the power weapon in the normal squad to a powerfist. The plasmas benefit more from the outflank rule because you can bring the models in on the side and start blasting away, whereas with the meltas you will then have to move towards a vehicle, which could kite you around. Meltas benefit from the rhino extra movement more than plasmas because of their increased movement.
    Either that or i'd considerswapping the chosen squad to make anothernormal squad for objective holding purposes, but thats entirely your choice of course.

I must say that the list looks quite like my own (Which is tgo say, AWESOME! ) but I think you may hit the same problem as I do, armour. Because of having so few armoured vehicles out on the table many enemy tank killing weapons will come to bear on them turn 1. Whilst my list also does not run a daemon prince (Which can soak up some) I still think you will struggle in the same way, so if I may aks, how do you overcome this problem?
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that you have pretty good choices. I would go with 2 CSM with Meltas if you lack anti-tank capabilities or if you have that covered I would say go all flamers and get them stuck in much like the flamer armed Raptors will be doing.
    "They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel13 View Post
    Originally I had each unit with a melta and flamer each which while tactically flexible doesn't sit well with me. I like a little bit of certainty and I don't like the idea of the squad firing its lone melta gun at a tank and either failing to hit or not causing significant enough damage and then have to fire an entire other squad to finish the job.
    I use the melta/flamer setup on all my CSM squads. There's a certain trick to it if you want more "certainty".

The key is to never let one of the squads wander off alone. They should always run in tandem (in pairs at minimum) so that everything is supported.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Meltas on troops, flamers on Raptors. If you use flamers in CSM squads then you often lack the movement to get a really good hit in, plus your opponent has an easier time denying you a follow-up charge for the same reason. (Jumping out of a Rhino at point-black is almost always a once-per-game opportunity.) It's better to have non-scoring units doing charges in any case as it's generally hard to fight a CC and not suffer damage. Lastly, meltas in CSM squads deter tank shock attacks. (Remember scoring units are often priority targets!) Raptors have the movement to make optimum use of flamers, are good choices for a followup charge and have krak grenades if they really need to take out a vehicle. Since they don't rely on a transport, they can always charge after moving.

To recap, troops should have the kill-all guns while Raptors should have the start-a-charge-with-a-barbecue guns.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

The raptors with there lightening claws are setup to kill hordes or infantry.

The marines with there powerfists are set up for anything.

Id insist on meltas on the CSMs and flamers on raptors.

Dan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I think Riptors idea of putting the plasma on the chosen and giving the CSM the meltas is a great idea.

Also for the setup I would take setup no 1. I never combine melta's and flamers they are not meant for the same job. Having jack of all trades instead of a specialized force has lost me a few games when I started playing, now I never do it. If you want too bust a tank have two meltas ready, that way if one doesn't hit you still have an other one instead of swearing after your flamer for not being able to do anything to a tank.
    "Iron Within, Iron Without"

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I like setup 2 myself.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im having a similar problem with my black legion army. i was doing well with flamer/plasma in my regular csm squads, until i ran into a DA player running two dreads in 1500 pts. id like to swap out the flamers for meltaguns, but that leaves my army with only one squad with templates (my nurgle lord and terminators, 1 heavy flamer and 3 combi flamers, mounted in a land raider). should i just put a combi-flamer or combi-melta on my aspiring champions? or just rely on the termies for my anti horde.
    How Did This Get Here I Am Not Good With Computer

Big fish in a little pond raytard22's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I would say setup 1 is the best... you are matching the high toughness weapons together... So you send your CSM's at the elite infantry, and land raiders ... and let the raptors handle infantry and rear armour 10 targets... Setup 2 is a close second, however I'd change the PF for a PW on the flamer CSM's...

+ Reply to Thread