My mechanised objective holding problem - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mechanised objective holding problem

Basically, my whole list is completely mechanised and at 1250 here is my list:

HQ

Daemon Prince, Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission, Wings -155

Elites

4x Terminators, 3x Combi-Plasma, Powerfist, Heavy Flamer -150

Troops

10x Chaos Space Marines , 2x Melta Guns, Icon of Chaos Glory, Aspiring Champion with Power Fist, Rhino -255

10x Chaos Space Marines, 2x Plasma Guns, Icon of Nurgle , Aspiring Champion with Power Fist, Rhino -295

9x Khorne Bezerkers, Skull Champion with Power Weapon, Personal Icon, Melta Bombs, Rhino -264

10x Lesser Daemons -130

The Problem: 2/3 missions i have 1 objective near my deployment zone or in it. This means i have to sit one of my rhino squads in their and waste their rapid fire death/cc death to sit back and fire pot shots. This list is really aggressive but relies on overwhelming force so leaving a squad back does hurt a bit. My problem is what should i use to babysit my objective? Is my list bad or am i not playing it right/missing something?

"I did my first model at the age of 7"

Wow. When I first read that I misinterpreted it. Bad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Hmm, this does seem a reoccuring problem in mechanised forces. Personally I do as you do and 'babysit' my objective. I find a squad of Noise Marines, Plague Marines or even Rubrics do this well (Could replace your IoN squad with Plague Marines, for 1 point less you could have 8 plague marines set up with the same weapons + a personal icon and rhino).
    The alternative is, last 1 or two turns, hop some marines back into a rhino and dash back to the objective (Remember, you can hold an objective from inside a transport). Or if a squad gets badly damaged (Maybe 2-3 members left?) retreat them to the safety of the objective and use their rhino to screen them.

But yes, you need to sacrifise some offence for defense in these positions.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riptor View Post
    Hmm, this does seem a reoccuring problem in mechanised forces. Personally I do as you do and 'babysit' my objective. I find a squad of Noise Marines, Plague Marines or even Rubrics do this well (Could replace your IoN squad with Plague Marines, for 1 point less you could have 8 plague marines set up with the same weapons + a personal icon and rhino).
    The alternative is, last 1 or two turns, hop some marines back into a rhino and dash back to the objective (Remember, you can hold an objective from inside a transport). Or if a squad gets badly damaged (Maybe 2-3 members left?) retreat them to the safety of the objective and use their rhino to screen them.

But yes, you need to sacrifise some offence for defense in these positions.
    Ok. So its not just me. Thanks for that. Do PM have Slow and Purposeful?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

No PMs can move as normal. Your other option with that list is to summon the Daemons early on and use them to babysit the objective.

Riptors advice (as usual) is spot-on, a squad of PMs holding an objective are very hard to dislodge.
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Farseer Rusty View Post
    Ok. So its not just me. Thanks for that. Do PM have Slow and Purposeful?
    Nah, they are just I3. Thousand Sons are the cult troops with S&P.

Edit: Ah crap, Memnoch beat me to it.
    Last edited by psichotykwyrm; December 22nd, 2008 at 10:12.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried this list tonight but replaced the nurgle CSM squad with 8x Thousand Sons, AS with Wind of Chaos. Played the multiple objective mission with dawn of war deployment. I won deployment so deployed lash prince and the bezerkers with their rhino on half way. I used rhinos as walls to protect my bezerkers, thousand sons etc to guard the two objectives behind the wall. This was reinforced with lesser daemons. I used my lash prince and terminators on offensive. terminators killed his captain and assault squad and a combat squad. Prince killed a 10 man tactical. He conceded at the bottom of 3 after i wiped almost all his scoring and he realised he couldn't hope to claim my objectives with AP3 bolters and Bezerkers ready to charge anything to venture past the rhino wall. The objective sitting wasn't much of a problem at all and it sort of worked to my advantage as the rhinos were used to block line of sight not advance. Overall a great game and i will playtest the list with the Thousand Sons more. On paper and during this game however it was a resounding success!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of curiosity, in the mission with D3+2 objectives, have you tried placing all of your on one side? Unless someone catches on to waht you're doing, the side of the board with 5 objectives looks very tempting, and if you get first chice, it's even easier to make sure they get all the objectives.

In the mission with one "base" in each DZ, have you tried simply abandoning your base and going for his whole hog? You could always turn a rhino around on turn 3 and go top speed back to contest yours if he manages to take it from you, but I find that if he's devided his army into a defence force and an assault force, the sight of your entire army bearing down on his base makes him throw his plan out the window.
    "Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men." - Jean Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

I have to agree with what was said above here. In these cases it is probably best to throw any idea of defense to the winds(of chaos) and hammer his objectives with everything you have. As your force is so mobile you shouldn't have a problem getting back to your objectives should the need arise.

As an aside, hello all... I am back after a rather long hiatus from the site.
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I was having a look at your list to try and solve your problem when I noticed that you are 10 points cheaper then you should on your squad with the icon of nurgle. You should be 305 points.

All and all, I would change the icon of nurgle for an other icon of chaos glory, drop a khorne berzerker and adding 4 demons to the lot. Now with 14 demons split them the way you want to make 1 sqaud hold the objective and the other one kick some butts.
    "Iron Within, Iron Without"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ussually do a vareation on a big rush like that, and thats to leave a small 5 man sqaud with IOCG sitting on my objective just in case i cant disslodge everything off of his. For 85 points it isnt to bad if they do nothing for the whole game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast