Scheming for an RT - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scheming for an RT

So I've been out of the game for a little while since 5th Ed came out, so I've only played a small few games with 5th Ed rules... However, there's an RTT coming up in a couple weeks at my local store and I want to field an army for it. It's 1850 pts, which I can swing easily, but I"m not quite sure how I should approach a list-building philosophy, as I've never done a tournament setting before.

Anyone care to offer a little general wisdom for a good RTT-building mindset?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best bet is to try and devise something well rounded. Try to add plenty of anti MEQ, anti-armor, and anti-horde units into your list. I would normally recommend you play a good 10-15 games before you settle on one list, but it doesn't sound like you have much time to make that happen.

Remember, in fifth edition most of your wins will come from capturing objectives, which only troops can do. Keep that in mind when making your lists.

Good luck, and make sure you let us know how it turns out for you.
    Chaos - 55,000+ points
    Tyranids - 15,000+ points
    Necrons - 6000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a more troop-choice heavy build is probably better, with a few heavy support pieces? I've always gone a little light on troops in favor of Defilers, Obliterators, etc... But maybe if I went with 3 or 4 less-than-full CSM squads, back them up with a Vindicator or something heavy, and keep it more infantry-ish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for an 1850 list, i would want about 4 full-sized troop units. at least. if you're light on points, grab 3 full csm squads and a lesser daemon squad. for the csm squads, i would grab 2 of a special weapon for each (ie 2 plasma in one, 2 melta in one, 2 flamers in one). keep your hq and retinue cheap, and if you are so inclined, fill out the rest with pie-plate throwing heavy support (s10 large blasts are good against anything.) if you are going with armor, rhinos are worth it for your csm squads just so all of your enemy's antitank weaps arent going to be trained on your heavy support choices.

the main thing to remember is, you have to make a list that you are comfortable playing.
    How Did This Get Here I Am Not Good With Computer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So even more troop choices than I thought... Guess I'm used to playing a lot of heavy stuff (most of the casual gaming at my shop is Apocalypse-style megabattles)

A few thoughts -- I'm not quite moving this to the army list section yet, because I'm still just trying to pick out some philosophies and unit choices before I draft a list... Any thoughts are welcome:

As far as HQ goes, I'm attached to the characters I've put together as my renegade chapter's leaders... So I'm probably looking at either a Khorne Lord w/Daemon Weapon on a Juggernaut, or a Tzeentch Sorcerer with a pair of spells.

For troops, I might try two ten-to-twelve man CSM units with 2x special weapons (1 melta, 1 plasma), and a unit of 10 Khorne Berzerkers.

As far as heavy support goes, I'm toying around with an anti-tank Havoc squad, Vindicator, and/or Defiler. I've also got 5 Obliterator models, but I'm not sure if I want to use them.

Elite-wise, I'm thinking of either an infiltrating Chosen unit, or a little something point-heavy/crazy but possibly deadly in a 5-man unit of Tzeentch-marked Terminators, all Champions. That many attacks/shots with a 2+/4+ just seems like it can make all kinds of headaches for my opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I forgot to change accounts, and here I am on my old one... Oh well, point still stands >.>

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Tritoch42 View Post
    So even more troop choices than I thought... Guess I'm used to playing a lot of heavy stuff (most of the casual gaming at my shop is Apocalypse-style megabattles)

A few thoughts -- I'm not quite moving this to the army list section yet, because I'm still just trying to pick out some philosophies and unit choices before I draft a list... Any thoughts are welcome:

As far as HQ goes, I'm attached to the characters I've put together as my renegade chapter's leaders... So I'm probably looking at either a Khorne Lord w/Daemon Weapon on a Juggernaut, or a Tzeentch Sorcerer with a pair of spells.
    I'd give the Tzeentch sorceror wings and go with him, as the juggernaught stop the khorne lord takking another mode of transport, or getting in a vehicle, menaing he is stuck at base movement the whole game.

For troops, I might try two ten-to-twelve man CSM units with 2x special weapons (1 melta, 1 plasma), and a unit of 10 Khorne Berzerkers.
    Ten man Chaos Marine squads, and give them rhinos. As for 2 special weapons, I hope by 1 plasma 1 melta you mean 1 SQUAD with dual plasma and 1 SQUAD with dual melta, mixin special weapons is bad.
    All three of these squads should have a champion, perhaps with powerfists. You could get away with a powwer weapon on the berzerker champion.

As far as heavy support goes, I'm toying around with an anti-tank Havoc squad, Vindicator, and/or Defiler. I've also got 5 Obliterator models, but I'm not sure if I want to use them.

Obliterators are really great units, however if you do not with to take them, and want to take the defiler/vindicator approach I recommend two of one instead (Two defilers OR two vindicators), so the opponent does not have such a clear target between the two.

Elite-wise, I'm thinking of either an infiltrating Chosen unit, or a little something point-heavy/crazy but possibly deadly in a 5-man unit of Tzeentch-marked Terminators, all Champions. That many attacks/shots with a 2+/4+ just seems like it can make all kinds of headaches for my opponents.
    Aye, but it would make them a huge priority target, and they would probably be wiped from the table. If you want terminators look up the 'Karmoon Special' squad here on LO.
    As for the chosen, if you want more infantry like that why not take another troops squad? the extra objective holders will help alot.
    Comments in Teal above.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

+ Reply to Thread