Possessed Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Possessed Marines

Hmm... im new to warhammer and have not only just recently finished my army iv only played about a dozen games. however playing from 500 point games to 1500 point games one of my units has generaly failed not only to impress me, but to prove usefull at all: my Possessed Marines. on top of this the seven of them cost my almost 200 points! im very seriously considering replacing them with a secend defiler, plauge marines, or mabye just a extra space marine squad.

I guess what im asking is, is there something im missing about them to make them really worth their point value? or if not what best to fill a 198 point hole (i current run a set of plauge marines, marines, predator, two rapor squads, a defiler, daemon prince, greater daemon, 2 close combat set dreadnaughts and a rhino)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Nono, you are not missing anything. Possessed really are that bad. The are just way too unpredicatable to do anything worthwhile, I personally never build possessed, and instead combine their bits with normal marine bits to make chosen, champions, lords, or just awesome looking marines.

As for what to fill the hole they leave with, I would take either another defiler or another predator, plus some more rhinos. That, and you NEED more troops choices, it seems to look like you only have two.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Thank You

After buying / planning a bulk of my army i and my freinds (a few of us have picked up the hobbie) discovered that only "Troop" choices can capture points (we had thought any troop [the unit type] chould do so). So i suppose the question is as follows: Marines + Rhino vs. Plauge Marines?

P.S. >.> wow... this forum is a awsome source for us newbies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Carcearion View Post
    So i suppose the question is as follows: Marines + Rhino vs. Plauge Marines?
    For objective holding, I'd recommend plague marines, if possible. But they are expensive. Try and get plague marines in a rhino. That's the best combination

I'd consider getting rhinos for all units possible. They're useful, even if you don't ride inside them (blocking Line of Sight etc etc)

P.S. >.> wow... this forum is a awsome source for us newbies
    That's exactly our intention. Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy your stay and eventually you'll be able to give advice and help to others.

^_^
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

6 Plague marines can be a useful cover-hugging objective holder and will soak up a lot of light to medium weapons fire.
    Don't take their toughness for granted though, the right types of weapon can clear them out in a hurry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to LO!

Welcome Carcearion,

Like you i thought possessed looked awesome and wanted to give them a go and then pretty much they failed to perform in any battle i had. The advice you have been given is spot on.

You should really join us in the LO chat room so we can talk more, it's great for asking questions and just speaking to everyone

message me with what direction you would like to take your army if you like and i'll be more than happy to help in anyway i can

take care,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others have already stated, Possessed are horrible. I hate them for the same reason I hate our Dreads: They don't do anything reliably.

I mixed in the Possessed bits with CSM bits to make marines that look cool but are obviously still marines. And I used the wings for my sorcerers.

Since you're new to CSM/40K, play with what you have for now. But if you have money to spend over the long term, 2 - 3 more rhinos won't go amiss. Depending on your play style Plague, Noise, and/or Khorne marines can all have a place in your army, as well. And mmmm...Obliterators...my personal favorite in the HS spot although Land Raiders may be more appropriate, depending on your style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Hmm... Well that’s pretty unanimous on the possessed marines.

oh I hadn’t even noticed the chat room feature, thanks.
    Could you understand the beauty of the beast?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started playing Chaos about 5 month ago and one of the first units I had was Possessed, and believe me I learned my lesson. Too many points for me and like you said they dont pull their weight. Also like some have already said in 5th ed you can only score with troops. Looking at your list it looks rather good but you need to try and bulk out on troops if you can. Maybe 10 man squad of marines and rhino instead of your possessed. Hope it helps

Scarred ///
    I am that wolf you always hear, no matter were you are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basic CSM's with a rhino are always a good investment.
    CSM's are quite good and useful and you can tool them up to your heart's content.
    Cult Troop wise... Nurgles and Berserkers are the ones seemingly taken most.
    And i suppose they are best but all four types have a use and can be fun.
    Heck none of those are useless.
    A nice unit of Termies, some Oblits for instance and a Defiler would be good additions to a Chaos Force.

But stay away from Possessed and Dreads. I always read and got negative feedback on them. However if you prefer to play a fluffy list purely for 'fun'. Then go for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast