Two legged Defilers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    248 (x4)

Two legged Defilers

I have 3 Defilers sitting here and I've been trying to figure out a way to make them much more interesting and unique. I've seen a couple of really nifty two legged conversions with them standing upright. At first I was thinking this was a daft idea as it would make then easier to see but then I remembered how tall the stock model is. With the True line of sight rule I really don't think Defilers are gonna be hiding very often in games during 5th ed.

So Iím chattiní with my bud about conversion ideas while at the LGS today. When all of a sudden a couple of local Tourney played decided to enter into our conversation. They inform me that I better have a stock model built and on hand for determining TLoS for shooting and cover saves. They point out that modeling the Defiler to be standing on two legs would amount to cheating because the defiler would have less thing block itís LoS as it could see over more cover.

I point out the defiler would be more susceptible to being shot at and a lot less likely to ever receive a cover save. It would clearly balance out any perceived advantage gained.

Iím not a big tourney player with 40K, so itíll probably not be much of an issuie.

I know this seems like it could be a modelling question, but it's more of a question for the Chaos players and rulezmeisters as a group.

What do you guys think?

Is this really a big issue with game play?

Would you model your Defiler on two legs even if others may complain?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

As far as 'Modelling to your advantage' goes, I'm of the opinion that aslong as you're not building it smaller than the original model(to make hiding it easier) I'm okay with it.

This defiler belongs to one of the guys at my local club and I can't ever recall any point where it's huge height has been of advantageous for him. But cool conversions is something that should be encouraged, so I say you should go for it.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't have a defiler, so can't give good advice but, another conversion idea could be a dreadnaught with a battlecannon mounted on his shoulder or something with a couple of extra arms..
    Be nice to your enemies, it will make them madder!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

For tournaments, you generally need a model that's close to the same dimensions as a stock version. That's the ruling I keep seeing at tournaments and hearing from my GT-loving club mates. They're not always entirely happy as it does limit conversions a bit for them, but it's an understandable ruling with TLoS.

On the other hand, if you don't much care for tournies, go for it! Cool conversions are one of the great opportunities of Chaos marine armies, after all.

Worst case, just make a rough carboard cutout of a stock defiler's shape from the front and side then stick em together down the middle. Voila, easy "stock" defiler for TLoS without spending another $55+ and untold hours of assembly.
    Wargamer Haven, my little cyberspace blogspot.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Xardian summed it up very nicely.

For casual games, as Kaiser mentioned, going larger only makes it easier for your opponent, so rarely is this a problem. Also, in my experience, unless you're skirmishing in city fights, most other terrain pieces won't cover the defiler. That said, a handsome coppice of forest can often give a defiler a little bit of cover, whereas your two-legged variant won't likely receive any cover.

Having seen a number of these conversions, I must say, they're very good looking, and I'd be happy to see anyone field such striking walkers.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

248 (x4)

Thanks for the input. Well since I have three Defilers maybe I'll make two normal and do one on two legs. I can then avoid bizzar situations should I enter a Tourney.

Besides then i can really embellish the conversion on the two leg Defiler and use it as a Knight titan in Apocalype games.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

One problem with a two legged defiler is it's size against blast weapons - without those legs spread out on all sides it's easier to miss, you'd get a good inch or two.

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    One problem with a two legged defiler is it's size against blast weapons - without those legs spread out on all sides it's easier to miss, you'd get a good inch or two.
    Something easily fixed by giving the 2-legger a large base to stand on.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

248 (x4)

Ah, heck with it! I'm just gonna do 'em all on two legs! Found these on an internet search.

I'll just be a follower and use Oblits in any tournies I may go to.

They will definitely go on a base the same size as the a normal Defiler would fit on.

Again thanks for the input!
    Last edited by BDJV; January 16th, 2009 at 19:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are cool, if I ever get defilers I may bipedalise them too!
    That way I don't have to cry about soulgrinders being better looking ^___^

I like the one on the right more cause of the more daemonic look and crouch-y stance.
    Be nice to your enemies, it will make them madder!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast