What are Chaos Daemons like? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are Chaos Daemons like?

I know very little about the new codex for Daemons both for Warhammer Fantasy and 40K. What are players opinions about this army and how it fares against hordes, marines and armour type armies? Are the lists varied or restrictive?

Also are they generally an easy army to collect and paint? Cost is a constraint and my painting skills aren't great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Unless you convert or stick to plastics, a Daemon army is going to be fairly expensive. Lots of metal, lots of conversions, but all very rewarding imho.

Daemons in Fantasy are rock solid, a very flexible list that can do just about anything well.

Daemons in 40k have a unique playstyle and a lot of options for an army. If you can get over the randomness inherent in the army, it should be a good time. The randomness of the army keeps it from being a truly competitive army, but it's a lot of fun and can work really well if your dice roll true.

What did you have in mind?
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still new to daemons myself (in the process of putting together my army). They will play very differently in 40k from the rest of the armies due to their deep strike rules.

They have numerous close combat options for taking on both hordes and for ignoring armor. They tend to have a lot of attacks with a lot of special rules. Most Khorne units have power weapons, most Slaanesh units are high Init with a ton of rending attacks. Nurgle tends to be durable while Tzeentch has some nasty, nasty shooting.

What I've gathered so far is that as long as the chaos gods bless your deep strike dice and you are able to make it into combat without getting shot back to hell, daemons are unstoppable! It's the landing in the right spot and surviving shooting phase that is the trick.

Daemons are also able to field 5 nasty deep striking monsterous creatures if they choose to!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to like the look of Tzeentch or Nurgle more when looking at Daemons, but I play a 40K Ork army and a Fantasy VC army, both which rely on swarming and numbers, so I'd rather an army that was fairly elite and durable so Nurgle would take my first bet. All forms of Marines are too boring thou so Daemons looked nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

A pure Nurgle army is actually quite good, but you'll need Epidemius to make it viable.

The typical Nurgle build consists of Epidemius, a Great Unclean One, 3 Daemon Princes, a mess of Plaguebearers, Beasts and Nurglings.

The GUO and DPs will start off the tally and rack it up big time before going down (there's only so much 4 models can do). By then, you should have the tally high up, and this is where Beasts and Nurglings shine. They can mop up while your PBs sit on objectives with icons to bring the rest of your army in.

Tzeentch is all about shooting. Tzeentch units aren't particularly tough or killy in combat, but they provide awesome firepower and some are really speedy.

Did you want to go for a pure god list (ie only Tzeentch or only Nurgle), a mix of the two, or a little bit of everything?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than likely it would be a pure god list - makes things easier if I were to do the same for Fantasy. All depends on which is more cost effective really then as both would be enjoyable, one is awesome with ranged/magic, the other is tough as nails!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

They would probably cost around the same, as everything is metal in both armies

Fear not though, for you can do up a cheaper army if you convert. I've seen people use Ghouls and Zombies as PBs and Dryads as Horrors.

In 40k and Fantasy, Nurgle is going to be slow, hard to kill, and reliant on the Tally going up to get most of their killing done. It starts difficult but as you rack up tallies life gets much easier.

40k Tzeentch is all shooty all the time, while Fantasy Tzeentch is all about the magic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghouls and Zombies as Plaguebearers.............LEGEND! I got 80 zombies and 15 Ghouls coz I also play VC. I'll be more than happy to use zombies for Plaguebearers instead, lets face it a plaguebearer is a walking lump of rot............well thats a zombie for you!

Just need some nurglings from somewhere, the HQ's, maybe a Heavy Support option if Nurgle or Tzeentch have anything worthwhile for it.........oh yes and something for horrors and yes, brilliant! :-) Its certainly an idea especially as they normally come on square bases anyway!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

If you're going Nurgle, Epidemius and as many MCs as possible is key. Epi provides the tally, making your units that normally suck in combat amazing and your DPs/GUO rack up the tally quickly as the only units with real killing power without the Tally.

So, zombies/ghouls for PBs, Nurglings, Beasts, 3 DPs, GUO, and Epidemius is the way to go here.

+ Reply to Thread