500 pts for a demo game... how? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 pts for a demo game... how?

I need to play a demogame in two weeks with my Black Legion to pull in new players.
    I'm going to field my unappealing basic Chaos Lord with a combibolter and a powerfist.
    That's 110 pts.
    The rest should be Chaos Space Marines.
    Any idea on a squad build that would be effective at that scale? And educative? (maybe a few weapontypes?)
    The points we're working with is 500 pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Maybe something like:
    Your Lord 110 pts.

5 CSM w/ 1 Plasma gun 90pts
    5 CSM w/ 1 Melta Gun 85 pts
    5 CSM w/ 1 Flamer 80 pts
    5 CSM w/ 1 Flamer 80 pts

445 points.

So that will leave you enough for 1 Power weapon champion in the melta squad and points for another in another squad if you drop the second flamer. Or maybe a Rhino if you drop both flamers.

Not the most competitive but then it doesnt need to be. 1 of each special weapon isnt a bad idea (Im 99% sure you cant have a heavy weapon if you have less than 10 CSMs) and small 5 man sqaud are just for numbers.
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

Since you're playing a Black Legion army you can take dedicated troop squad without a problem. They usually are what people love when they choose to play Chaos. You could gear them toward CC or toward shooting whatever you like best.

I would advise against a Chaos Lord in such a list, you should go for a Daemon Prince instead (if you have the model). They cost the same amount of point and it's a great support for troops..

CC list:
    Daemon Prince with wings (130 pts)

4 CSM with 1 Meltagun & 1 Asp. Champ. with a Power Fist (125 pts)
    4 CSM with 1 Flamer & 1 Asp. Champ. with a Power Weapon (105 pts)
    4 Khorne Berserkers with a Skull Champion with a Power Weapon (135 pts)
    Total = 495 pts
    Model count = 15 & 1 Monstruous Creature

If you play on a small table you should be able to enter close combat fairly rapidly and with "true grit" the ability Chaos Space Marines have to change the weapon they are wielding each phase they will be a force to recon with. Direct the Daemon Prince and the CSM squad with the Power Fist toward anything with a high Toughness or any sort of armour value and the squad with the Power Weapon and the Khorne Berserkers against other troops, the KB should be really effective if you get the Charge.

The Daemon Prince should be there to support the Troops, not go on his own kill some stuff. He makes for a great counter charge unit and he have the potential to wipe out whole infantry squads.

Shooty list:

Chaos Sorcerer with Wind of Chaos and Melta Bombs (145 pts)

5 CSM with 1 Plasma Gun (90 pts)
    5 CSM with 1 Plasma Gun (90 pts)
    5 Noise Marines with 5 Sonic Blasters and a Champion with a Doom Siren (175 pts)
    Total = 500 pts
    Model count = 17

The Noise Marines should do most of the shooting job. The sonic Blasters can dish out a surprising amount of fire power at 24" and the Doom Siren is a Space Marine killer weapon with a nice little template. The 2 CSM squads will be there in support of this squad. They should be able to absorb the incoming CC unit if any of those get too close. The plasma gun and the rapid firing Bolters should also take their share of casualties up to 24".

The Chaos Sorcerer with Wind of Chaos is a force to recon with in small games and with a large template weapons he can wreak havoc in infantry squads. You will have trouble with anything with of AV13 and up but those should be fairly rare in such a small point game.

A really tough and sturdy list:

Chaos Lord with Melta Bombs (90 pts)

6 Plague Marines with 1 Meltagun and a Plague Champion with a Power Fist (211 pts)
    7 Plague Marines with 2 Plasma Guns (191 pts)
    Total = 497 pts
    Model Count = 15

Now I know that you have all your models in 2 squads and that the Lord have nothing special, but 14 T5 models with Feel No Pain can take you a long way. One squad is dedicated to shooting and the other once (with the Lord) is dedicated to close combat... also once you've played with Plague Marines you generally can't go back... they are one the toughest troop in the game and they are really versatile.

I hope that's what you were looking for.
    Last edited by Thyr; January 26th, 2009 at 19:11. Reason: Grammar corrections

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

You could through in a Rhino for relatively cheap and give the players a taste of what tanks can add to the game.

A list like this would be nice:

Lord - 110

5 CSM with Plasma - 90
    5 CSM with Plasma - 90

8 Khorne Berzerkers with Rhino - 203

Total: 493

That list is pretty straight forward, and has the advantage that if a new player wants to pick up and play, they can just go out and get the Battle Force and a Lord and have that exact list all ready to go.
    Eldar Record: 11-8-3

Battle reports, painting and more at Meandering the Dune Sea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

Usually where I play, when we play on such a small scale, let's say between 400 pts and 625 pts (combat patrols) we have a tendancy to ignore the normal organisation chart.

Usually we don't put anything in our list with more than 2 wounds and the HQ's tend to be tossed aside for more troops. If the Lord takes 1/5 of your points then you will be seriously handicaped compared to other armies (Orks and Tyranids comes to mind) who have cheaper HQ choices and cheaper troops.

Usually I take 2 squads of Plague Marines in Rhinos and a Predator (TL LC turret, HB sponsons) to go with them for 500 pts. For 625 points I take a Biker squad to add to the numbers or just another Rhino full of standard CSM. I take only one Champion in this case and he's the leader of the patrol.

Combat Patrol games might be better if you wish to play a demo game. The rules for 40K in 40 minutes is a great exemple of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

I'm going to back Thyr on this one.

I think the (sry, I lose the name a lot) Combat Patrol rules are fantastic for 500 point(ish) games - it really makes the game more about skill than simply who can beast up their HQ and demolish the other little troopers.

For reference -

- Only 1 Troop Choice is required
    - No vehicles with armor value totals greater than 32 (Essentially no tanks, just transports)
    - No models with more than two wounds
    - No 2+ saves
    - No weapons above strength 7 or 6 (I think Plasmaguns were ok, but not sure)

Even just using a couple of these rules keeps out a huge chaotic factor in small games, and for demo games, I think using troop squads with bread and butter abilities is best anyway.

Hope this helps.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

One problem though guys. I don't have Cult Troops. Just A LOT of regular CSM's.
    I MAY get some during the Summer or i might not. I'd have to change the fluff of my Warband otherwise.
    In any case i'd like to keep it to CSM's with some weapon builds that will work but show of a variation of things.
    My predator i'll keep home for the demogame as people who never played the game at all (i have over the years done a few small games it's just been ages ago and i'm getting back into it) so the focus will normally lie on infantry.

Btw something very odd is happening. When i wish to reply by 'REPLY button' i can't as it keeps saying the message is not long enough.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

In these smaller games, it's best just to stick with generic CSMs anyway. They're highly versatile, and you don't want to reduce your basic bolter fire by taking a bunch of cult marines.
    Last edited by Rabbit; January 27th, 2009 at 19:54.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Darthvegeta800 View Post
    One problem though guys. I don't have Cult Troops. Just A LOT of regular CSM's
    So what!! Regular CSM are the best basic infantry in the game!

Cult troops are cool, but almost always the same points spent on a CSM squad will have been as effective, and a whole lot more versatile.

I have never regretted taking a CSM squad instead of a cult squad. The opposite can not be said.
    My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Darthvegeta800 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!
    Btw something very odd is happening. When i wish to reply by 'REPLY button' i can't as it keeps saying the message is not long enough.
    Yeah, I've been getting that too.

There's a button in the upper right of the editor to "Switch Editor Mode" if I click that (the background of the editor box will turn white), then I can reply or post just fine.
    Eldar Record: 11-8-3

Battle reports, painting and more at Meandering the Dune Sea

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast