Which Heavy Support? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Heavy Support?

I have 7 havocs so far, but I feel that I need more heavy, which I probably do anyway...

Vindicator, Predator, Obliterator... which one is usually the best general choice? I just need heavy support, nothing specific per se.

I'm inclined towards Vindicators due to the fact that I can pick Demonic Possession and it won't affect its Ordinance cannon...

Last edited by ExpansionRod; February 11th, 2009 at 05:03.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Hello there,

It's difficult to say without knowing your army and gaming playing environment. However, if you're looking for something general, then obliterators are single-handedly the most renaissance unit available to us. Perhaps you could provide your army list?
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, Obliterators are the most versatile heavy support. But my favourite has to be the Defiler for its diversity as well. It will take out a decent amount of horde and MEQ's (as long as the scatter/dice gods are smiling upon you) and can still hold its own in close combat (although initiative 3 sucks).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually fight Orks, Necrons, Eldar and Tyrannids. My army is quite small so far. I only have a Rhino, a few Berzerkers (around 12) and around 12 CSM. Recently I got 5 Terminators and 8 Thousand Sons, along with the aforementioned 7 havocs.

I have yet to use my TS or my Termies in a game (got em about 2 days ago) but what I usually have trouble beating is the Eldar and the Genestealers from the nids (they tear apart my zerkers due to their higher initiative).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For smaller armies obliterators tend to be very economical.

Defiler and vindicators are good as they have large blast templates which can take heaps of genestealers (and other troop masses) down at a time from a safe distance, and cost about the same as two obliterators, but I wouldn't take them if they will be your only vehicles, maybe pop in another rhino...

With genestealers, I end up sending two units near each other, one being the sacrificial lamb (as I lack stuff with large blast templates). You sacrifice the lamb so that after the assault the genestealers are out of combat for your shooting phase. Then you just template or blast them apart (wind of chaos with aspiring sorceror, heavy flamer with termies/dreadnaught, twinlinked flamer on obliterator etc)
    Be nice to your enemies, it will make them madder!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x3)

I love all the heavy support choices. to be totally honest the one that's done me the most good so far is my predator. The defiler is amazing on occasion, but it tends to scatter too far to do serious damage with the battle cannon.

But I generally play against other SPM/CSM armies, so I don't have much of a view on what's the best all rounder.

~ Lowell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

In my all-comers lists I've used all of our heavy support options at one time or another. The best overall hands down has been the Obliterators for thier sheer unmatched flexibility.

Defilers I enjoy for the big pie plate and long range on it. For a while I favored Vindis a bit more for the cheaper price tag better AP and stonger armor, but ultimately the superior range on the defiler has made it easier to use, especially with it's ability to perch on buildings much better then a treaded tank

Havocs are ok, and if you're not bringing much armor they're a solid enough choice. Best for area-denial since they're not very mobile when toting heavy weapons. Good melta-palooza squad though. And overall probably the most sturdy option in bigger squads. I still miss being able to put Tank Hunters on them though

Vindi is solid and cheap. If you have a lot armor to give it side protection it can do awesome things, but gets an even higher target priority then defilers. I mostly field vindis if there are Lashes on the table to maximize that cannon. and since I haven't been using Lash much lately, the vindi's been taking a nap.

Preds are cheap and solid firepower. But I find thier field of fire is often more limited by being unable to perch on the upper levels of ruins like oblits and (sometimes) defilers. They're also not quite as versatile once the game is under way as the defiler or obliterator options. If you have a deffinate gap in your firepower though, a pred is an excellent choice.

Oblits though... man, they basically always do me proud. I can deepstrike them to hit hidden enemy armor and contest objectives late-game if needed. They have a weapon for every occassion. They can fire on the move. They're pretty sturdy. If you can get them some high ground (better if it also gives good cover) they can provide amazing support.

I'll give you a relevant example: Playing against nids, Capture & control, spearhead, and he's got 2 squads of outflanking genestealers. I keep a bit away from the edges and just barely manage to keep beyond the assault range when a squad runs on the field. The oblits turn 3 plasma cannons on the squad and wipe it out entirely in 1 round of shooting. They also finish off the flyrant and a zoanthrope with lascannons. This is fairly typical of thier in-game performance for me. They've also cracked a squad of plague marines in cover (took a couple turns of plasma cannon bombardment, mind you).

So overall, for the most flexible heavy support that can fit into just about any army and make itself very useful: Obliterators.
    Wargamer Haven, my little cyberspace blogspot.

+ Reply to Thread