Black Legion: Ways of War (Help Request) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Black Legion: Ways of War (Help Request)

Hey there LO'ers!

Sorry to mods if this is in the wrong place, but I felt like it was a borderline call and that I'd get more responses here (punt it over if I messed up). Anyway, I need your help guys! See, I've always been an indecisive person, and I'm trying to decide how to paint my many models. I'm torn between three Legions (don't worry, it's not one of THOSE threads). Those would be the Iron Warriors, Alpha Legion, and Black Legion. But in trying to decide, I found I wanted more information, specifically, about how the Black Legion makes war. The books are all rather vague on this. Sure, they mention the Terminator HQ killer strike, but makes little mention otherwise. I want to fill this out with some depth. I want a legion that is organized and still actively pursues the destruction of the Imperium.

From what I can figure, only the soldiers under the Despoiler (who admittedly is a bit lame, does he ever suceed at anything?) have much organization. Even then, how do they fight? Mostly infantry? Do they adjust their tactics on the field quickly? How do they begin an invasion? They don't seem too sneaky. How would they go about a siege?

How are they organized? We know Abaddon has a Mournival-like possey, but they are the colors of Chaos, which I'm not that interested in at the moment. I'm not a warband guy, I'm an giant evil conspiracy guy I guess.

Anyway, the basic idea is that I want YOUR help, help me fill in some gaps so I can make an informed decision. Thanks everybody!

EDIT: I know I put this together a little quick, but if you guys get some ideas down then I'll try and bounce some questions off of you or something

Last edited by hotspike18; February 17th, 2009 at 04:43.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After what i know of the black legions tactics (under Abbandons leader ship), would be to send some frenzied berzerkers of Khorn first and then send the rest of the bulk. but if you want a legion that is still diciplined and uses formation i would have an Iron Warrior scheme, me my self has a legion colour that mixes the colours from Iron Warriors and World Eaters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well from what i remember, the Black Legion were the counterpoint to the Ultramarines before the Heresy - flexible troops, well led, numerous, lots of tanks, devastators/havocs and fast attack, oh and led by Horus who was a great tactician and leader.

Don't know how they've progressed since, but the old Chaos codex did make mention of them swapping alliances between the gods quite often, never being drawn too far down the path of one god (except specific squads) and they would often allow themselves to become possessed for short periods knowing they could rid themselves of the host.
    Sorry but don't know much else.

Personally i think they represent one of the most flexible and mid-line armies in the CSM codex and should be played as such. An army to take on all comers with a mix of everything.

The good thing is that they always look good and are a surprisingly underplayed army/colour scheme (at least in my area). The backround is such that you can easily tailor the army any way you want.

Good gaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

If they're painted well, Black Legion always looks nice. But to often do people just basecoat the model, touch up a few of the spikey parts with boltgun metal and claim its the black legion. While it IS acceptable, it just makes me shake my head.

Iron warriors are a bit harder to paint than the black legion, and fluff wise, they can field fluffy armies that are still tournament effective.

Alpha legion on the other hand (have been playing those since 3rd edition), is much harder to stick with the fluff when creating an army and still being effective against anything. Although, the guy that I play most of the time uses IG, and when I use 3 squads of melta chosen against him, he cries alot.

The alpha legion color sceme will turn more heads, IMO.

And, no, Abaddon doesn't have a Mournival. He has a sewwing circle, where they all cry about how they'll never be like daddy Horus.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Depending on the quality you want a good way to paint black legion quickly is to undercoat black (I use 2 coats to be sure) Then drybrush the whole model dark grey before anything else. the armour is now shaded and you can then paint all other details as normal as the dark grey on the non armour bits hardly makes a difference to subsequent colours and the drybrushing also makes the relief stand out more.

Another way to do good black armour is to paint the model the darkest grey you can find such as Tamiya panzer grey or a valegio colour then thourourly ink it with 1, 2 or 3 coats of badab black.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Some material that might help is the Index Astartes article on Black Legion and the stuff from the previous codex in the books of Chaos section-I found these the most helpful as regards tactics.
    (in addition to the HH series).

As regards painting-these days I undercoat black and then paint over it black which gets rid of the flat look that only undercoating can give.
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey if you are into big conspiracies and overall scheming, hunting the universe for the most powerfull relics and knowing things NO ONE else (if you kill them) knows then I have your solution right here.
    Its the great, the incomprehensible 1k Sons. Its all the rage this days, with incredible sense of taste and quite literaly the most obidient troops in the whole universe. Join now!!!! And get a free loin cloth

(there have been some minor side effects reported: mild loss of free will, increased psy talent and a whole empire are hunting you).
    Last edited by whitewolf1984; February 17th, 2009 at 18:31.
    If the war by heavens gate released desire
    In the line of fire someone must have known
    That a human heart demands to be admired
    Cuz in the center of the universe we are all alone
    Kamelot

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I play Black Legion, they are suppose to be to CSM what the Ultramarines are to Loyalists. Would be interesting if they foguht each other during the heresy. Anyways, fluff wise they can have any cult troop. So you can see berserkers fighting alongside thousand sons Or even Ahriman fighting with abbadon if you so wish to represent a shaky alliance between chaos lords. As for painting, simple black with gold of silver trim works well. For cult troops in the black legion. Mix, paint Berserkers Mostly black with some parts red or brass. Plague marines give some green amoung the black. Thosuand sons blue and black, and Emperors children Pink and black. It may clash, but fluff wise it works, as it represents these cult troops serving under abbadon.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Hashulaman View Post
    Would be interesting if they foguht each other during the heresy.
    Black legion didn't exist then, Abaddon was still Horus's whipping boy in the mournival.
    And Horus pruposely sent the Ultramarines way out to the other end of the galaxy so they couldn't get there in time to fight them in the heresy. He was affraid of Guilliman.
    Bah! Alpharius should have been the warmaster. Him or Angron. Though, there wouldn't have been much a galaxy left to rule after the 'zerkers laid down the hate.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well pre heresy I think the luna wolves where a balanced legion. And in the horus heresy setting we have garviel Locken (not sure) and he says that the luna wolves fight by learning the opponents strength and weaknesses. But that was Pre-heresy and with horus leading..... now with abaddon, I cant really picture them doing anything usefull. I mean abbaddon represents the triumph of optimism over experience.
    Tactics wise I figure they use termies deepstrike and just regular old marines, a vanilla army, seems to variate in accordance to the warlord rather than a specific tactic.

Now the other legion have their specific attributes and skills. Alpha = stealth and cunning, Iron Warriors = siegecraft and tanks, Black = No specialty, no flaws, no flavor just plain regular.(not that its bad, just use a warlord with a certain specialty and BL wouldn't ne wrong or unflufy) IMHO. Hope it helps and one more thing 1k sons have cool helmets and loin cloths
    If the war by heavens gate released desire
    In the line of fire someone must have known
    That a human heart demands to be admired
    Cuz in the center of the universe we are all alone
    Kamelot

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast