Defiler or Predator - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defiler or Predator

So, for my army, composed of a squad of 1k Sons, 2 squads of Khorne Berzerkers, a squad of CSM with IoN, 5 Termies with IoT, 5 Havocs and 2 Rhinos, I decided to get another vehicle to support my Havocs which I don't always field, or rather, for a change in flavor.

I want something that can just blast enemies away, providing covering fire for all my other units. The Predator seems like the better choice but the 72" Defiler weapon seems to draw me in. Any suggestions?

Edit: I also read on another thread that Defilers have Str8 and count as a Monstrous Creature, but my codex doesn't say this...

Last edited by ExpansionRod; February 25th, 2009 at 04:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Defilers in 3rd edition chaos were classed as monstrous creatures. In 4th edition chaos, they have the equivalent of a dreadnought c.c. weapon, which maxes their strength out at 10. No longer are the considered monstrous creatures either.

For you build, the predator is the more reliable choice, especially since you have very few options in your current list for long range tank hunting. That said, do what you want. It's a game, and we're suppose to have fun
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Honestly, either can work for you.

Defilers work great just lobbing shells across the board from the back of your deployment zone. Every once in a long while I get mine into CC, but mostly he sits back blasting away. It's a solid all-around option able to hurt either tanks or infantry reasonably well, making it the more versatile on the table.

Preds are best if you have a definable gap in firepower. Depending how the havocs, CSM, and termies are kitted, you might be in need of more anti-tank, or more anti-horde. The pred can be fitted either way, and for fewer points then the defiler, but you're locked in to the choice once you hit the table.
    Wargamer Haven, my little cyberspace blogspot.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I prefer defiler myself. It isn't limited to either move full distance or fire like the predator. The predator is ab ok choice, but id take a defiler first.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I know it's not completely relevant but why would you field CSM with IoN? Depending on the squad size it might be more beneficial to class them as plague marines and get FNP.

Sticking to topic - I personally prefer defilers and am getting a second for my world eaters. Then again I'm also getting a second predator to kit it out differently [already have tri las, going to make a dakka]

My tri las pred never has much luck, it's mostly firing at the front armor of a vindicator or a land raider though, and being such an expensive tank its not long before something has cut through it.

Defilers are more scary, more mobile and more fun. I usually slog my defiler up the field behind the rhinos and such, keeping out of LOS of enemy tanks and in LOS of infantry. Then when i'm close enough run towards the tank and turn it upside down =]
    | Hybrid Warband | __*W:7 *D:1 *L:1__
    | Hive Fleet Hybrid | __*Not Unleashed*_

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Being an Iron Warrior, a learned openner of enemy vehicles, you are MUCH better off using two or three units of AT at 1500-2000 points. Ensure you meet this.

I personnally use 3 AT predators in my 1500 list. On Monday I played a semi mech guard force, with sentinals, chimeras and two russes. First turn I had stunned one russ and had the other belly up. If I had not done so my force would be marching under pie plates which isnt good.

My thoughts for your choice would be to check what long range AT you have (a meltagun is not a long range AT weapon) and then consider what role needs fulfilling.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HybridChaos View Post
    I know it's not completely relevant but why would you field CSM with IoN? Depending on the squad size it might be more beneficial to class them as plague marines and get FNP.
    I don't have any plague marines, will be getting some soon, though

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

DEFILER!
    there is no contest sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ExpansionRod View Post
    I don't have any plague marines, will be getting some soon, though
    You can eithe chip a few dents in the armor, and/or just paint them death guard colours. Maybe you don't even need to do that. Your local gws and the people you play with should be alright about you fielding them as plague marines. It's only tournies that should be that strict
    | Hybrid Warband | __*W:7 *D:1 *L:1__
    | Hive Fleet Hybrid | __*Not Unleashed*_

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

If you do follow those posters saying go plauges, then your PMs need to be distinguishablly different from the normal CSMs. Otherwise its likely to confuse your opponent which is sportsman like.

Dan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast