How to beat Nurgle, tzeentch CSM - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

How to beat Nurgle, tzeentch CSM

So I played an old friend yesterday in a tournament, and he brought Nurgle tzeentch CSM, I brought my DE ( I dont play with them very often theses days). I pulled a draw, not bad right? But here's the thing I've only beaten him once before, and he was off his game that night. I play damn near every army, and I've had difficulty with his list for years. I'm starting to get tired of it to be honest with you! So TIRED with his COCKY attitude I want to table him and FAST!

Since, I dont know how to beat him in the first place I figured I'd go here for help. his list typically looks something like this (it changes just slightly over time)

HQ
    Nurgle lord with daemon weapon

Elites
    Dreadnaught w/twin linked hvy bolter (Forgeworld nurgle dreadnaught)

Troops
    10 plague marines in rhino w/ 2 melta guns, and PF champ

10 PM "see above" 2 flamers instead of meltas

10 thousand sons, bolt of tzeentch, in rhino

10 thousand "exactly as above"

10 khorne berzerkers PF skull champ, in rhino

HVY
    2 obliterators

1 obliterator

predator, auto cannon, hvy bolters

He claims its 1500, and I never took the initiative to check in my chaos codex. Any help you can offer on how to beat it would be great!

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Well, the first thing would be that this list comes out at nearly 2,200 points. Might wanna bring him up on that.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Aside from the 700 extra points he's somehow managed to cram into his 1500 list, his build is nothing extraordinary. It's solid on troops, but weak on tank busting.

Also, I see that he's maxed out his rhinos at 10 men each. How exactly is he delivering his lord into c.c? Footslogging?
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Riptor View Post
    Well, the first thing would be that this list comes out at nearly 2,200 points. Might wanna bring him up on that.
    Riptor is right; I get 2200ish just from the things listed, and I'm sure there are a couple little things missing here and there (like the lack of movement mode on the Lord, no Personal Icons, etc).

If you can pull a draw against an opponent fielding 700 more points than you, then that's something to be proud of.
    Last edited by Caluin; March 31st, 2009 at 03:02. Reason: Bad math. Shouldn't do it without the 'dex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And just note that any one troop cannot be both Nurgle and Tzeentch at the same time (i.e. those plague marines don't have invulnerable saves)..

N00blets who bend the rules are really annoying, which reminds me of a DE player I played once..

Best way to kill thousand sons is to just rain heaps of fire on them. 3+ saves can only take those guys so far. Zerkers are happy to eat anything AP3. High power shots on the plaguemarines. Anything AP2 for the Oblits.
    Be nice to your enemies, it will make them madder!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Honestly, the best thing you can do is publicly call him on his lists cheating, so that the rest of the store patrons and employees know about him, then never play against him again.

People like that are ridiculous, and I'd wager that he'll lose his interest in the game very quickly if he has to play you and everyone else legally.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

In case your opponent asks, you can show him this:

HQ
    Nurgle lord with daemon weapon- 150 points

Elites
    Dreadnaught w/twin linked hvy bolter: 105 points

Troops
    10 plague marines in rhino w/ 2 melta guns, and PF champ: 325 points

10 PM "see above" 2 flamers instead of meltas: 315 points

10 thousand sons, bolt of tzeentch, in rhino: 350 points

10 thousand "exactly as above": 350 points

10 khorne berzerkers PF skull champ, in rhino: 285 points

HVY
    2 obliterators: 150 points

1 obliterator: 75 points

predator, auto cannon, hvy bolters: 100 points

TOTAL: 2205 points
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I don't think he'll play me ever again anyway seeing as how at the tournament this past weekend he awakened khorne and got me to explode!

I think the only reason its over is that he's changed his list so much recently I managed to lump it all together. Like his first list with the new codex, was just the thousand sons and plague marines accompanied by a nurgle daemon prince, and 4 obliterators. Then he started using berzerkers here and there. Now he's got a bunch of forgeworld Nurgle stuff lately so its just the plague marines, some terminators, and 1 or 2 squads of thousand sons with a couple oblits and that lord.

It's just all started looking the same to me lately. But in general to get back to the original thread topic, points aside and all. What do recommend for beating thousand sons and Nurgle plague marines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

283 (x6)

For us to give you the best advice, we'll need to know what army you plan to play him with the next time you see him.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Well, with DE for example: Agonizers eat plague marines. Wyches with wych weapons can take down tzeenches with not much to worry about in return, especially if they luck out on +1WS, and can also handle a Lord pretty well in assault (especially with agonizer). Dark Lances ruin oblit's day, as do Blasters. Disentigrators are nice in general vs MEQ. Pop his rhinos and go to town. If you're footslogging it vs his army, you probably have a much tougher time of it.
    Wargamer Haven, my little cyberspace blogspot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast