Why hate on Abaddon? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Why hate on Abaddon?

i just had a game with CSM vs SM using Abaddon, and i was extremly impressed. He and 4 terminators held off 3 SM tactical squads that had P fist champions. The Termies died off, and it was Abaddon versus over 25 marines. He made all 3 run away, 3 tactical sqauds, and he also had slain a libriarian when the Librarian charged him.

Why do CSM players hate him so? Is it based purely on fluff? Because in all the games I have used Abaddon (this was not the first) I have dominated close combat. CC wise he is equal to a Pfist termi squad on his own. He can even talckle a wraithlord or Greater Daemon and have decent sucess. 4+1D6 attacks at S8 with re roll to wound? What is not to love about that? He is as close to Horus as we will ever get. Yes he is not Horus, but he is as close as GW will get to him unless they crank out more Primarch rules and not just angron.

If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got 2 reason for not using him.

1: because of fluff, i play world eaters so then i use Khârn.
    2: Because i see him as over powered, and expensive.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Since I play Black Legion he is the logical choice, I do have a small World eaters army, but no Kharn. When i get enough PM i will use typhus. As for fluff I can understand, but I however do not share your views. The chaos gods cannot let Abaddon or Horus win for that matter. The Imperium is wiped out, humanity dies off, and the chaos gods cease to be. As for overpowered, no character is invincible, the best why to take down abaddon, like termies, is plasma and plenty of it. He will fail his invul saves Eventually.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abaddon is a beast. He is not overpowered (not for 250 points) but his is a killing machine. Put him with a meat shield of termies in a landraider and he will do work. Of course you have about 650 points sitting in a little box... ...he is not hard to kill at all these days will the copious amounts of las guns, plasma, and meltas you see on the table.

I had him and his retinue mow through a squad of assault termies and an honor guard squad a while back. He walked out unscathed, but his termies were gone. He took out a tac squad after that before falling to concentrated las and plasma. That is almost 3 times his points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
    Abaddon is a beast. He is not overpowered (not for 250 points) but his is a killing machine. Put him with a meat shield of termies in a landraider and he will do work. Of course you have about 650 points sitting in a little box... ...he is not hard to kill at all these days will the copious amounts of las guns, plasma, and meltas you see on the table.

I had him and his retinue mow through a squad of assault termies and an honor guard squad a while back. He walked out unscathed, but his termies were gone. He took out a tac squad after that before falling to concentrated las and plasma. That is almost 3 times his points.
    And you paid how much to do that? My single Daemon Prince with Mark Of Nurgle and wings has single handedly mowed down 2 squads of Grey Knights with force weapons.

I find that a cheap DP will kill swathes of squads as long as you send him towards things without Invul saves. i let my AP 2 take care of those.
    May the "Nurgley Goodness" protect you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, in our meta game daemon princes die quickly in 2k plus games ( I would never take abaddon in less than a 2k game) and I am sure that he would NOT mow through an assault terminator and honor guard squad, never mind the tac squad he ran off the board after that (still with NO wounds.)

Daemon Prince w/ wings MoN ~150
    Cannot be insta killed
    DP monstrous, easy to see and target
    DP cannot attach to a unit, dies with 4 wounds
    DP in 2k + games dies quickly with all of the las/plasma/meltas on the board. Kill one squad, get shot to death.

Abaddon 250
    Cannot be insta killed
    Standard size and in a squad, cannot be targeted
    Standard IC, attaches to terminator squad, Takes between 5 and 10 wounds on a terminator to put a wound on him.
    He costs more but is well worth it in large games. IMO the only 2 special characters in chaos worth taking are Abaddon and Kharn. Both are very solid performers when used properly and attached to the right squad.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Abaddon is a beast. He is not overpowered (not for 250 points)...
    Abby = 275 points.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, in our meta game daemon princes die quickly in 2k plus games ( I would never take abaddon in less than a 2k game) and I am sure that he would NOT mow through an assault terminator and honor guard squad, never mind the tac squad he ran off the board after that (still with NO wounds.)

Daemon Prince w/ wings MoN ~150
    Cannot be insta killed
    DP monstrous, easy to see and target
    DP cannot attach to a unit, dies with 4 wounds
    DP in 2k + games dies quickly with all of the las/plasma/meltas on the board. Kill one squad, get shot to death.

Abaddon 250
    Cannot be insta killed
    Standard size and in a squad, cannot be targeted
    Standard IC, attaches to terminator squad, Takes between 5 and 10 wounds on a terminator to put a wound on him.
    He costs more but is well worth it in large games. IMO the only 2 special characters in chaos worth taking are Abaddon and Kharn. Both are very solid performers when used properly and attached to the right squad.
    that is what i ment he is to exspensive to be in a normal 1500 pts battle. your better of whit a Chaos LR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

In combat though, he can be targeted, as IC's now count as separate units during CC. Unless they have an actual "retinue/bodyguard" he can be picked out in combat.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

IMO the only 2 special characters in chaos worth taking are Abaddon and Kharn. Both are very solid performers when used properly and attached to the right squad.
    *cough* Lucius *cough*

On topic, The Don is a pretty cool character and a beast in combat, it's not really fair to compare any of the HQ's to the DP as the DP is rediculously undercosted that it has almost become a no-brainer.

If you like The Don, then by all means take him. People don't hate him, they just think that DP's are, point for point, the best HQ we have.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast