Clarification on codex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clarification on codex

Also, reading the codex it's saying that in a regular CSM unit, a second model can have a heavy weapon after a first model has a special weapon.

Does this mean that I couldn't have a 10 man squad with a heavy bolter only?

Seems crazy to mix the two weapon types, especially as we can't do the SM trick of splitting into combat squads.

What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

no its two different sections of text.

situation A you have a unit of CSM of appropiate size 5-20 they may have 1 special weapon
    situation B you have a unit of CSm of at least 10 people they may have 1 heavy weapon

situation A can be combined with B but you can opt for just B if the unit is the right size.

so you can have a 10 man IoCG with a lascan hiding in a house to take pot shots at enemy tanks thatc an claim objectives in your deployment zone.

have fun and good luck.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Process View Post
    no its two different sections of text.

situation A you have a unit of CSM of appropiate size 5-20 they may have 1 special weapon
    situation B you have a unit of CSm of at least 10 people they may have 1 heavy weapon

situation A can be combined with B but you can opt for just B if the unit is the right size.

so you can have a 10 man IoCG with a lascan hiding in a house to take pot shots at enemy tanks thatc an claim objectives in your deployment zone.

have fun and good luck.
    i thought you got a special weapon if under 10 and if over 10 a second special weapon or a heavy weapon? that would give you 3 options then.

A with 10 men and 2 special weapons
    B with 10 men and 1 special and 1 heavy weapon
    C with 10 men and 1 heavy weapon
    May the "Nurgley Goodness" protect you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deathklaat View Post
    i thought you got a special weapon if under 10 and if over 10 a second special weapon or a heavy weapon? that would give you 3 options then.

A with 10 men and 2 special weapons
    B with 10 men and 1 special and 1 heavy weapon
    C with 10 men and 1 heavy weapon
    Just checked...you're totally right!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, it gives a very SPECIFIC list that you can choose from. From what I understand, if you have the magic number 10, than you get the uber weapon (obvious choice = lascannon). This is the SECOND CSM. The first CSM must choose from a much smaller and less uber list of p-gun, meltagun or flamer.

So, under my understanding, the idea is to take squads of 10 in order o maximize the weaponry. I prolly shouldn't say "obvious" either, as there are many good choices for weapons in the second list: missile launcher, h. bolter, autocannon, p-gun, m-gun, flamer, lascannon. Or, you can choose to not spend the extra points, and go with a no frills CSM squad of any size and not have to "worry" about making the cut with numbers. Oh, my bad, forgot to mention the aspiring champion. He gets his own list of goodies to choose from. All in all, you can make a very nasty CSM 10 man squad.

Also, I totally agree that it's crap the CSM can't split up into different units. I mean, come on! O, wait, that's right. GW doesn't nut over CSM, just their pretty boy toy good guy space marines (gods please kill the emporer. for the love of madness, kill the blasted guy. he's only, what, like yoda x 100 years old?).

trav
    War is my master; Death my mistress.
    Maugan Ra

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

skip lascans and go dual melta way more bang for buck and you discourage them pesky ironclads from deepstriking into your 1k sons too
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ZolBatar View Post

Seems crazy to mix the two weapon types, especially as we can't do the SM trick of splitting into combat squads.

What do you think?
    Do You mean like flamer+lascannon or melta+ML etc?

Look, I like to take flamer with anything as it is a template weapon, and it is very good to burn hordes/swarms/wytches etc. That`s for the protection of my shootie squad againts assault.

And they (SM) can split we can`t (and also many other races), we can upgrade our marines with marks as we want to, they can not.
    (10csm, flamer, Lascan+ khorne=anti-assault or 10csm, flamer, Lascan+Nurgle=anti-shootie)
    Last edited by Kaptin Elwazz; April 9th, 2009 at 11:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kanordog View Post
    Do You mean like flamer+lascannon or melta+ML etc?

Look, I like to take flamer with anything as it is a template weapon, and it is very good to burn hordes/swarms/wytches etc. That`s for the protection of my shootie squad againts assault.

And they (SM) can split we can`t (and also many other races), we can upgrade our marines with marks as we want to, they can not.
    (10csm, flamer, Lascan+ khorne=anti-assault or 10csm, flamer, Lascan+Nurgle=anti-shootie)

sorry to say but, your examples are not a good use of points.

10 csm with flamer, las and IoK is completely rediculous. IF you are going to use IoK you are going to want to assault, the flamer works slightly but the very static lascannon is not going to do anything for you. If you want MoK take Zerkers, they are so much better than CSM with IoK.

If you want anti-assault use Plague Marines, blight grenades negate the bonus attacks for charging and pretty much level the playing field.

10 cms with flamer, las and IoN is just silly expensive for what it does (not a whole lot). For the points of IoN you are better off taking PMs for their FNP.

if you want to use CSM take 2 special weapons and IoCG. if you want heavy weapons take Havocs (you get 4of them) or oblits (the CSM swis army knife)
    May the "Nurgley Goodness" protect you!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Deathklaat has a point. It's rather a bad comparison if you're looking at our loyalist counterparts as reasons for taking both a heavy and special weapon in the same squad. CSM units are designed primarily as ten squads with dual special weapons. While we certainly have heavy options available to us in our troops, they aren't exactly cost-effective upgrades.

If you're wanting templates in your troops, then you might consider upgrading the champ with a combi-flamer. This would provide you with appropriate template abuse for hordes, while at the same time preserving the squads dual melta or plasma potency, which is where CSM units flourish.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

A-ha

So, overall Nurgle is better for defending type of normal csm, also and I can not take lascannon with Plague marines.

And the combi-flamer is realy good idea, but i did not want to buy any

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast