Plague Marines vs Thousand Sons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which should I take?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plague Marines

28 75.68%
  • Thousand Sons

9 24.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Plague Marines vs Thousand Sons

I'm considering starting an army based around Thousand Sons, largely because they're a constant pain whenever I play my mate's Chaos Marines and the models are funky. My mate's advice is to go for Plague Marines instead; apparently the only reason he doesn't use them is because he doesn't want to buy the models. I can sort of see where he's coming from; they're both tough as old bread but the PMs are a lot more flexible than the Thousand Sons, they're not Slow And Purposeful, and you don't have to lash out points for a Force Weapon-toting Sorceror plus Psychic Power for each and every squad. However, massed AP3 Bolters and a squad-wide 4+ invulnerable save seems like a bloody good trade-off to me, and Slow & Purposeful movement isn't a big deal when they're mounted in a Possessed Rhino.

So yeah; Thousand Sons or Plague Marines, which is nastier?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes AP3 bolters are good, but what happens when your opponent takes Termies ect. pts wasted. Also If your playing armies such as 'nids or orks where its majority 5/6+ saves then your better off with standard bolters, so once again points waisted. I'd agree with your friend and take the plague marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming from a none CSM player i always felt 1k sons got a hard time of things, sure ap3 is immense, but it only has an effect on meqs. They are an expensive unit and have (in general) less survivability than plague marines. That and as mentioned before they are limited options wise.

So, although largely irrelevant, my opinion would be you should get Plauge marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just take bezerkers they are much better, especially if in a land raider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rodgers37 View Post
    just take bezerkers they are much better, especially if in a land raider

how are they better in a LR? sure its AV 14 but to get the zerkers into range you would have to be moving at top speed and not firing which completely wastes the LRs weapons. You could drive 6" a turn and shoot but you would be slow to get anywhere. Or you could stand still and not shoot and completely waste your zerkers, on top of that you cannot assault out of the LR. Zerkers in a LR is a huge waste of points.

Go Plague or Go Home!

sure the AP3 sounds soo nice for 1k Sons but they have many downsides, slow and purposeful, the manditory sorc..

PMs are good for just about everything and thats how i use them. They are good at shooting and great for sitting in cover or on objectives and killing anything that gets within range. They can hold their own in CC and Blight Grenades really make your opponent think twice about assaulting.

What really makes PMs shine is the fact that to effectively kill them you need to have lots of AT, AT does not come cheap so if your opponent piles the AT on you will not have much to face and taking out what counts or will hurt you the most should not be hard.
    May the "Nurgley Goodness" protect you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

as a matter of fact, zerkers can assault out of the land raider.

i can't see whats the big fuzz with slow and purposeful beeing so bad. you can always shoot as if stationary, so you can start mowing down your opponents marines from the beginning of the game. you can also charge into close combat after shooting the enemy squad with rapid fire ap3 bolters.

plaquemarines are very tough but they excel in lists where you got some armour to draw your opponents anti-tank guns away from your troops. thousand sons, however are best to be killed by a massive amount of anti-infantry fire.

to come to a conclusion: i'd use plaque marines in a tank heavy list with lots of rhinos, predators, vindicators, dreadnaughts, defilers and/or land raiders.
    if i'd have a foot slogging list with no or very few tanks, i'd go for thousand sons.
    Last edited by Moschaboy; April 8th, 2009 at 15:25. Reason: stupid spelling

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Moschaboy View Post
    as a matter of fact, zerkers can assault out of the land raider.

i can't see whats the big fuzz with slow and purposeful beeing so bad. you can always shoot as if stationary, so you can start mowing down your opponents marines from the beginning of the game. you can also charge into close combat after shooting the enemy squad with rapid fire ap3 bolters.
    Agreed. TS marines aren't meant to really go anywhere with haste. Plus, their movement is really for keeping them out of c.c., so you don't typically need a lot of speed; just a little here and there for repositioning. But the simplest solution is to put them in a rhino, which gets around the problem, and ensures they'll be in rapid fire range (best use of inferno bolters, don't you know?).

That said, Plagers are truly renaissance. Their augmented staying power makes them quite effective in close combat as well as at range. However, it all depends on you and your environment. If you run into large spammers of MEQs, then TS are a top choice; against most everything else, plague marines are better. However, even against marines, plaguers do quite well.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play almost exclusively against MEQ and have had no problems with my all PM army. 2 DP, 4 PM squads in Rhinos and a lone Vindi keep my opponents AT very busy. Keeping out of sight untill i am within optimal disembarking and shooting range can be a bit tricky but it is nothing that cant be done.
    May the "Nurgley Goodness" protect you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

I've run both in my lists, and I tend to lean towards plague marines, even against MEQs, since the new SM codex has come out.

the plague marines have a better staying power against the marines falling back and charging shenanigans that they get with the "combat tactics".
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deathklaat, there not better in LR, its just good moving 24 inch in first 2 turns, then getting out to assualt, rather than 24 in rhino, getting out, getting shot at, then next turn assault

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast