Number of chaos space marines for a squad? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Number of chaos space marines for a squad?

Hey, i'm trying to craft my 1k point army and Im having trouble fitting around 1k with the stuff I want. It all ends up being about 1045ish. What i was thinking was dropping two marines out of my 10 man squad and id drop 1 standarad and either the guy with the heavy bolter or the guy with the plasma depending on the mission. What im wondering is, if I go to an 8 man squad is that a good idea? Or is that going to hinder me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Eight is a fairly effective squad strength, and at lower point games, it's not as big of a deal. But truth be told we can help you out a lot more if you give us more information about your army composition.

The reason most players take ten is because it allows us to take two special weapons, instead of just one. That, and ten is more than eight or six or whatever. Also allows them to be transported in a Rhino.

Get back to us and we'll see what we can do to help.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright cool, well pretty much heres a rundown of what ive been thinking for my 1k army. Im not trying to make it amazing because I want some fluff, but at the same time I want it to be semi-decent.

HQ- Chaos Lord
    Combi melta on a bolt pistol
    Daemon Weapon

Troops-
    8 or 10 CSM (not sure how many yet, depends on tips i get)
    If its 10, i'll have both a Heavy bolter and a plasma gun (would use two plasma guns but I dont have the money right yet to buy another box just for a second plasma)
    Aspiring Champion with power sword/plasma pistol. Maybe personal icon?

8 Khorne Berzekers
    No plasma pistols
    Skull Champion with power fist

Dedicated rhino for berzerkers, just have it plain at 35 points

Elites- Dreadnought
    Plasma Cannon
    standard close combat arm

Fast attack-
    3 bikers, one champion with either power weapon or power fist
    1 banner of chaos undivided
    1 Melta gun

Heavy Support-
    Defiler with 1 extra close combat arm and autocannon, possibly get rid of autocannon for second arm.

So yea, this is a short rundown of what ive been thinking of doing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

8 guys works fine. Just remember that you can't have the heavy bolter unless it's a 10-man squad. They'll still hold an objective just fine at that points level, though I'd try to scronge up a power fist for the champ if you can. It looks like you've got a battle force or something similar. If you got some possessed in the mix, you can use a few bits from them, like a huge claw or hand, to make a power fist champ for the normal marine squad.

Another points-shaver I'd consider is dropping the plasma pistol on the champ. It's the same cost as an entire marine for what will normally only be 1, maybe 2 shots in a game. Especially in a foot-slogging squad.

I'd also consider dropping the icons. You have nothing deepstriking, and a tiny unit like the trio of bikes is more likely to be dead then making a morale check.
    Wargamer Haven, my little cyberspace blogspot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah cool, well pretty much this is just a rough draft of what i can get, Currently all i have is my HQ and my 10 troops (i'll swap the champions plasma to a bolt pistol but i'll have to cut it off and reglue the bolt pistol)
    I mean, if theres anything you can suggest me getting (as long as its not too expensive and wasteful since im low on funds for this at the moment) itd be awesome, just as long as it contains a defiler and a dreadnought since Id really like to use those two.
    Last edited by Murfywat; April 9th, 2009 at 17:49.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Ok, my suggestion is to make your squad of marines 8 or 9 and give them a rhino if you can find the points, you don't want one of your only 2 scoring units to be footslogging. Put your lord in with them to give him more or less a retinue for wound allocation. You also won't have to worry about a second special/heavy weapon as the lords combi-weapon will take that place. Replace your CSM champ's power weapon/plasma pistol with a fist (it's the same cost), and take off the autocannon from the defiler as you can't fire both it and the battle cannon anyway and the battle cannon is a much better choice, this also makes your defiler a CC monster. I also agree with removing the banner from the bikers, they'll either roll over a weak unit or get completely wiped by something too strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x3)

I'd say 10 usually, as that's the biggest you can have them in a transport, or 9 if you're running a lord with them. I wouldn't have thought there was muhc more you ccould say than that.

~ L

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Thief View Post
    I'd say 10 usually, as that's the biggest you can have them in a transport, or 9 if you're running a lord with them. I wouldn't have thought there was muhc more you ccould say than that.

~ L
    I tend to actually have less than 10 in a rhino if I can help it simply to keep the cost of the squad over all down a little bit.

+ Reply to Thread