Vs Droppod list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vs Droppod list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Vs Droppod list

Well, facing my first droppod list on wednesday and must confess, I've got no idea how to handle it, so could use some pointers on deployment etc

it's a 1500 point battle, and I've roughly got 3 squads in rhinos, 2 defilers with cc weapons, 2 oblits and a lashprince. My guess is he's fielding 2-3 tacticals, perhaps a sternguard squad, some dreads and probably Vulkan

Any pointers welcome gents

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep everything in reserve?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reserves is dumb idea as you could come on piece meal aswell and atleast half his army automaticly comes on unlike yours meaning he can blow you away assuming he has a fully fledged drop pod list or just 3-5.

Best tactic is keep your army together so he can't pod on one flank leaving your other flank out of fight i know because i play with pod lists myself. I love players who stay in reserve as i can just pod in near good fire points while you come in piece meal.

Just remember they can pod into difficult terrain meaning the squad automaticaly has cover save try keep them in the open deny them and cover options.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I was considering keeping the prince and maybe the obliterators in reserves, then deploy the armour close together, as the rhinos are fast enough no redeploy and the defilers got the range to shot at anything of his that isn't in reserve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rhinos are your best friend against drop pods. The squad inside the pod has to waste it's firepower on the rhino before it can do anything to the troops inside. Nothing nicer that forcing a squad of ten marines to waste an entire turn to pop a 35 point rhino. Even better, if the melta gun or plasma gun misses, they have to waste another squad's shooting to get it open.

Just be careful to protect your rear armor on more valuable assets like the defilers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Chrach made some great points. Be aware of your armor's rear facing, you can't always help it, but just be careful. Remember that he does scatter off the board, he can't stop that. Keep your squads protected inside the Rhino, so he'll have to try and break them open first - also, keep your Rhinos somewhat near eachother, so he can't isolate one of your squads and outflank you. Once he drops, get in there and shoot him to pieces, or if even better, if you can, show him why we've survived for ten thousand years, we roxxorz in CC vs. those loyalist wanna-be's. Sternguard can be very dangerous, and should usually be a high priority for you to kill or assault with something time consuming like a Defiler. Your Defilers will have free shots at him when he drops, use that, and don't be afraid to assault them with it. Defilers are great, they can kill squads, but also simply hold down a squad so that they cannot do anything except die, then you can concentrate on other things.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Also, drop pods mean half of his pods will come down first turn, then the rest roll as usual. Just so you're prepared.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Cheers guys, gonna have to look at my deployment, we're playing as part of a campaign with different missions, so we'll see how it goes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defilers get free shots when he drops?? How so?
    Everyone is corrupted by Chaos, myself more than others!

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by KingDamo View Post
    Defilers get free shots when he drops?? How so?
    What hotspike is saying is, when the pods drop down, they have to disembark and will do so in a nicely packed bunch, he cant move and most likely wont be running, so that pie plate will splatter some marines. Following that up with your fleeting marine eating walker of spidery doom, he wont be laughing.

My thoughts would be to stay in a tight formation, in cover, then leap on the badger when he deploys from the pods.

Dan

+ Reply to Thread