Combi-weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combi-weapons

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Combi-weapons

As I go through army lists in this forum I very rarely see any use of combi-weapons on the unit champions.

I think they are a great asset (especially the flamer), yet no one takes them.

If you do not take them, I'd like to know why? It seems like a great option.

Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can use them, but make sure you know the roll they are playing. I use them in normal CSMs basically drive up in rhino jump out combi and bolter the target. I double up on combi weapons so that they are the same as the special weapon guys. Also in the rhino put the same combi weapon on it if you have the points. So that means you can get 4 melta shots or 4 flamers which can do wonders. Then get back in your rhino. I know this is all easier said then done.
    If you love kittens you will love http://bloodofkittens.com

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

That's a good question. For me, I rarely use them, mainly because I don't have the extra points. If and when I do, usually, my first priority is in upgrading the dual meltas to plasmas in my marine squads (same cost as a single combi-weapon).

That said, the combi-weapon is an excellent tool. I recommend them especially for CSM squads that don't meet the 10 man requirement for gaining the much cherished second special weapon. In cases like these the combi-weapon provides the squad with dual special weapon simulation for the one round, which is usually enough.

Another scenario where I strongly advocate the combi-weapon is with our Zerker squads. To further the cause, one could also put a combi-weapon on the zerker's rhino; thus the zerkers effectively have dual special weapon action for a single round (again, that's usually enough).

Combi-flamer: Skars, to be honest, I can't justify paying 10 points for the combi-flamer, especially when this is double the cost of the basic flamer. It just seems a bit wasteful. Your thoughts?
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is one area of interest for me. Like i have said in other posts, I have not yet put together my army. I have however read through the codex two ro three times and always come accross these upgrades. I understand the well timed, perfect shot of a combi-weapon, but you are paying for a one shot upgrade. I find it hard to believe that it is worth it many times over for the same single shot upgrade. I would like to hear the pro's and con's here. For me, it is usually better to put more men on the field than spend points on unecessary upgrades. Then again, I could be looking at this from the wrong point of view!

trav
    War is my master; Death my mistress.
    Maugan Ra

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I don't play chaos, but everytime I play against them, seems like if they have a termie unit, they're all equipped with combi-plasmas. It's a great way for them to destroy enemy termies or tough Monstrous units. DS to within rapid fire range and you can basically destroy another 5-man termie unit with 10 plasma shots. 25 points for 5 combi-weapons is worth it if you destroy even 1 enemy termie, let alone a 200pt+ unit. I don't however, see anyone carry combi-flamers. I think it's a cost-efficiency issue.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Combi-flamer: Skars, to be honest, I can't justify paying 10 points for the combi-flamer, especially when this is double the cost of the basic flamer. It just seems a bit wasteful. Your thoughts?
    I take it quite often on my plasma or melta squads for some anti-horde ability.

Take a stock standard CSM squad.

10 CSM, Icon, 2 melta, champ and fist.

Great all round unit but, you come against 30 orks, what do you do? For 10 pts you add a flamer that can kill a lot of orks (insert appropriate horde unit here) and even out the combat. The best part is you do not comprimise your anti-tank ability.

I sometimes take a combi-plasma, giving the unit 6 plasma shots at some big nasty.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to throw one on the rhino, and my termies have them too. Can't afford anyone else to have them..
    Be nice to your enemies, it will make them madder!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    248 (x4)

Funny thing is I was just gonna post about combi-weapon usage in CSM squads.

I've been using combi-flamers on my champs for the last 5 games I've played. I've found them to be a great utility! 2 melta shots and a flamer template just prior to an assault really helps swing the fight in your favor!

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Combi weapons are definately best used on Terminators.
    I havent used any on rhinos, nor aspiring champs just yet. I dont see them being too useful on rhinos, I expect the enemy to immobilise the rhino before I get to an effective range. On a champion, the points cost is increased slightly from that of the terminator, I think this is the old 'eggs in one basket' thing that it suffers from.
    A combi flamer is a good weapon here, I wouldnt reccomend a combi melta to anything but a dual melta squad, wasting the squads fire to shoot the single fire combi melta isnt efficient.

Dan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

To be honest, I never really considered taking them, but this is mainly due to not having the points

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast