Where do we stand? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Where do we stand?

Ok its been over a year since we had an update, and compared to the SM and IG updates, you think CSM are still a good army? or are nerfed compared to the newer codexes.

If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Well, I'm not really a tourney player, but playing against a few that are, and while not overly powerul compared to the new marines, we're pretty well off due to some very good troop choices and the lash prince etc don't hurt either

Edit: I guess what I'm really trying to say is, we've got a lot of flexibility in our different troops, the only real thing we'ere lacking imo, is more powerweapons, but can't have it all I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

In my limited experience...

Lash or double lash makes us tourney likely winners. Everything else is either/or - you can win or you can lose, prolly won't be bagging large, official tournament sweeps though.

As with many new books, there's one (maybe two) configurations/units/styles we're forced to take to really be victorious, and everything is so-so when compared. Ork bikers come to mind here, as do SM characters and some SM units.

Examples: Anyone bring anything in tourney armies except for Lash Sorcs, or DP's? Anyone bring normal SM termies anymore? Sternguard in almost every army.
    Last edited by hotspike18; April 21st, 2009 at 17:21.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarb View Post
    Well, I'm not really a tourney player, but playing against a few that are, and while not overly powerul compared to the new marines, we're pretty well off due to some very good troop choices and the lash prince etc don't hurt either
    Zarb, I'd honestly like to know what you'd like when it comes to our power weapon options. We may not have the dual action motto found in Space Pups, but we're still a fairly power weapon heavy race. Look at our chosen, for example, who can take up to 4 per squad. That's a fairly good count, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by hotspike18 View Post
    In my limited experience...
    Blah...blah. You've been around, buddy *gives hostpike a nudge*

Our codex was conceived with 5th edition *somewhat* in mind, but not like the orks or smurf codex, which were put together under full awareness of the new rules. Given that, we have to expect some... discrepancies. Overall, it's a pretty decent codex, and I actually believe we have more options for competitive builds than most other races, due to our nature of having so many different troop choices. While our generals have not mastered the 'split' squad tactics of our loyalist brethren, at the same time, we aren't restricted on our squad count, and can have in excess of 10 models per unit. That's not something to be undervalued, even if most players rarely go above ten. In the end, we're free of the Imperium, which has its ups and downs. After all, we have four gods; they have a toilet-bound emperor who needs safety bars on the side of his stall.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    After all, we have four gods; they have a toilet-bound emperor who needs safety bars on the side of his stall.
    Quoted because I'm LMAO.
    "Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?

Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are still in good shape. CSM are still have fairly cheap options so power creep has not effected us too much. Still though with every new codex all old codices usually lose a few viable list options. Their is still many options you can have and they do not involve the word Lash in them.
    If you love kittens you will love http://bloodofkittens.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really do not see what the crying is all about. i play a pure Nurgle army and i am still a force to be reconed with vs SM.
    May the "Nurgley Goodness" protect you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ability to move others pieces, the versatility of obliterators (although its usually that darn AP2), and some awesome troop choices really makes chaos a force to be reckoned with in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Types of Armies

Some really effective setups on these boards BESIDES the dual-lash-prince ... some of these have been mentioned already.

Black Legion - Chosen with TeleHomer, Undivided Troops with PF/Meltagun, Termi Squad w/combiweps+Lord, Preds or Oblits for Heavy Support.

Nurgle/Khorne - T6 Nurgle Prince (Impossible to kill with most weapons) with Wings/Warptime, Plague Marines with 2x PlasmaGun, Khorne-Marked Chosen and/or Berzerkers. 2 preds.

Iron Warriors - Undivided Troops with Lord included in a squad, 3x Preds or 2x Defilers + Oblits or a Pred. 2x Dreadnaughts with ML/HF.

Slaanesh/Undivided - 1 Lash Prince, 1 Doom Siren Troop, 2x Sonic Blaster Troops, 2 preds. Marked Raptors with Flamer/Meltagun/Fist combo.

So actually, the only thing you HAVE to have would be Predators or Oblits, and Rhinos ... seein' how fifth ed made vehicles mandatory and those are our two best.

Sabre
    Comfirmed Disciple of Chaos

Rogue Angel: "Meet da Chaos Lord"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

If you played Nurgle or Khorne in the past edition ,you probably didn't have much of an adjustment to make and the transition to the fifth when by smooth, i don't think you'll feel the codex is lacking. Anyone that played anything else however will beg to differ.

From Iron warriors and Alpha legion to the daemon heavy list, everything that's not khornite or Nurglian in principle probably lost more than it was worth... Heck even the old 1k sons are better now in my opinion; Given the massive amount of cover saves you'd be better off with 2 wounds instead of ap3 bolters . In fact i'd gladly take instability tests for none generic daemons and the old possessed over what we have now any day of week.

I think it was a poorly timed released also , like Rabbit said ; they probably had the 5th edition in mind. I think its obvious they had some idea of where the game was going: tanks are going to get a boost in endurance , Troops wil be important & lots of HQ (they probably didn't get the memo that all HQs shouldn't be pushovers). But they didn't get the whole picture .

The crux of the problem is that people that played legions had to revise (and buy) lots of new models to adapt their armies to the 4th edition (Me, i went from Night lords to noise marines and 1k sons.) And then we got hit with the 5th: Cover saves > Ap3 bolters , And forget about those noise weapons taking down tanks or zergs, its all about melta and flamers now!

I don't care much for the current state of Chaos, both the marines and daemons. I'd say we've got to pay twice as much for 2 mediocre armies , if that.

If you're wondering about the new Imperial guard release; I'd say that any list with a lot of drop pods/ Orbital bombardments /teleporting terminators with 3 invulnerable saves or out flanking land raider redeemers will do fine... If you get what i'm saying
    Last edited by seismic; April 25th, 2009 at 04:25.
    "The things that appear are a vision of the unseen"
    -Anaxagoras of Clazomenae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast