Why Do Players Like The Fateweaver? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Why Do Players Like The Fateweaver?

I don't understand why people like the Fateweaver so much?

I used a Lord Of Change in my army list for my first game with deamons with an army another player had lent me and he isn't a huge fan either. So he showed me what would happen if I had took a Fateweaver.

And damn! When my LOC took his first wound on turn 2 he asked me to take a leadership test which I failed so that would have been the end of the game for the Fateweaver, other weaknesses include...

Not being very strong in combat compared to the LOC: When you've got an all tzeentch army you need powerful units for combat. The LOC was able to shoot a tank with bolt and flamer another unit before finishing it up in combat, the fateweaver would struggle to do that.
    Weaker stats than the LOC: If I had taken a Fateweaver he would have been shot down by a volley of small weapons fire in the first 2 turns, the LOC's toughness allowed him to withstand most of the fire from the pulse rifles.
    Units need to be within 6: Granted the re-rollable saves are fantastic but your forced to bunching up your deamons within 6 of him and this can be disasterous due to ordnance and multiple charges by powerful combat units.
    THE BIG WEAKNESS: One failed leadership and he's gone.

I find this to be too many weaknesses for my liking, especially for a 333pt unit. I'd rather keep my Lord Of Change with We Are Legion and Breath Of Chaos for 320pts.
    So why do people like to take him instead of a Lord Of Change?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I don't like the LoC normally. He's an expensive compromise unit. If I want to bust tanks, I'll field 2 Tzeralds in chariots for cheaper. If I want a HtH power house, I'll run a BT. The LoC doesn't have the firepower to justify his massive price tag.

Fateweaver helps this. He still doesn't have great shooting, but his ability helps a lot. Re-rolling saves is huge for Daemons, who normally have poor saves. You don't have to bunch up, just have 1 model from each unit within 6", same as the Ork KFF.

Poor stats? I don't want him in combat anyway. T5 and re-rollable 3+ invulnerable > T6 3++ every time, unless you're up against Psycannons. And a high Ld means he won't be poofing any time soon.

Now, Fateweaver is not without weaknesses. He's expensive, T5, and can go down to massed fire. When the new IG Codex comes out, Fateweaver will drop off of the map. Their Battle Psykers can reduce his Ld by up to 9 and all the firepower IG can dish out will see Fateweaver fail a save and go poof on Ld2.

He's best in a focused build, but compared to a LoC there's no contest.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I think the craziest thing I've seen done with the Fateweaver is tag teaming him with another GD, especially a LoC. That's some seriously scary crap against most armies. But I would agree, that if you don't plan at least a little around using him and his ability to the fullest, he won't be worth it compared to the LoC. If I run him I tend to keep him near a group like my bloodletters, or away from enemies, with my Horrors. Keeps both of those groups alive, very well.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by grantneodude View Post
    I think the craziest thing I've seen done with the Fateweaver is tag teaming him with another GD, especially a LoC. That's some seriously scary crap against most armies. But I would agree, that if you don't plan at least a little around using him and his ability to the fullest, he won't be worth it compared to the LoC. If I run him I tend to keep him near a group like my bloodletters, or away from enemies, with my Horrors. Keeps both of those groups alive, very well.
    This is exactly what my standard list is. 693 points of duo-chicken coming at you. Believe me, it's a freaking nightmare for the opponent to try and deal with a standard LoC with a rerollable save. (For obvious reasons, they try and kill Fateweaver first, but I'm fine with that.)

Fateweaver's a good support unit. He keeps things alive a lot longer. If you're an assault army and Fateweaver gets you through that arrival turn, then he's done his job. If you're doing a mono-T army, then he's a top quality gun platform with a special ability and *respectable* combat stats (not for his points cost, but his S, A, and MC status isn't terrible.)

Personally, I don't mind getting him into combat so long as he's got another Chicken by his side. The two of them together should have shot something to ribbons before charging it to finish off whatever was left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been pairing Fateweaver with a Bloodthirster, to much success in the few games so far. We play a lot of team games and have ruled that "friendly" means that allies could benefit from re-rolling their saves if in proximity.

+ Reply to Thread