mass autocannon army effective? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

mass autocannon army effective?

A 1000 point doubles tournament is coming up and I was thinking both me and my partner bring CSM with lots of autocannons. It was effective with the last codex and I was curious if it could be effective in this edition? Not to mention how many do you think you could fit in 1000?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

Personally, I like Autocannons a lot; even better than I like MLs. They're great for making sure that you take out transports and they do quite well against just about any non MEQ infantry. On top of that, they look cooler than MLs or HBs.. while being capable of doing the job of both.

The key is to not count on them for busting things above AV11. Take a couple of Obliterators, or something else with S8/9 guns for taking out the more heavily armored targets.

At 1000 pts, I'd take a pair of Havoc squads, 6 guys each with an Icon and 3-4 Auto Cannons.
    "Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?

Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

They're good against rhinos, raiders, trukks, and other light vehicles as well as non-MEQ infantry and ok against medium armor such as chimeras, wave serpents, and dreadnoughts. But what about opponents with predators, leman russes, monoliths, land raiders and other heavily armored vehicles? What about monstrous creatures with 3+ or better saves? You'd definitely want a couple of lascannons or missile launchers and meltas to complement your army in the event that you encounter these. Unless you know your opponent's army composition, just bringing autos will not make your army a well-rounded one.

How many autos can you have? Approximate:

DP 125
    10x CSM -Autocannon, melta, rhino - 205
    10x CSM -Autocannon, melta, rhino - 205
    5x Havocs - 4 Autocannons - 155
    Last edited by jy2; April 26th, 2009 at 00:59.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

autocannons are a nice weapon, Heavy bolter on steroids i sometimes call it. It doesnt have as many shot though. SInce the AP is the same as a Heavy bolter, the ehavy bolter would be ebtetr for infantry, and the autocannon would be good for MEQs and light vehicles. If you are going to take autocannons, take quite a bit. You will need volume
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

+ Reply to Thread