TOO Many Chaos Choices - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Master of the Universe BIGphil22X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

TOO Many Chaos Choices

So lately I've been hard at work resurrecting my 40k armies, and bringing them into the 5th ed. In regards to my my Chaos army...

-Years ago I bought the old CSM battleforce, various individual boxes, and some thoughtless HQ, which gives me the following models.

HQ: Abbadon the Despoiler (judgment lapse in thinking I wanted Black Legion)

HQ: Old-style Chaos Lord (not of the terminator variety)

Troops: 12x Berzerkers, 14x Marines, 2 Champions, and a rhino.

Fast Attack: 3x Bikers

Elite: Dreadnought

-On top of these, I also recently purchased the chaos renegade strike force. This gives me a terminator lord, 5 termies, 20 more chaos marines, a defiler, 2 rhinos, a vindicator, and a land raider. The land raider and vindicator, though, are going to use in my Imperial Fists army.

-Thus, my questions are:

If I run this as a Khorne/ Nurgle list, what is the best combination of 2 HQ choices to use (not necessarily just ones I own either). I'm particularly interested in the special characters, Typhus and Kharne.

If I run shooty Terminators, should I give them a transport?

*Thanks in advance for any help you LO brethren can give.

"Sanguine, my brother."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've played Kharn a few times in a fun game and seen him played in 2000 pt armies. He tears apart any troops like throwing a tomato in a blender, and he can also take down ANY tank with a good roll. He's not any tougher than a regular space marine, so just make sure Kharn attacks FIRST.
    The Emperor died ten thousand years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol you think there are too many choices now did you ever look at the 3.5 codex? We got stripped of SOO many good upgrades. I still miss demonic visage.....
    Change is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want shooty terminators, try using the karmoon special. You don't need to give them a transport, deep striking will be enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you decide to run a Khorne/Nurgle list, for HQ I would recommend Kharn with a squad of 9 Berserkers loaded in a Landraider. This allows them to get into assault quickly and they should be able to handle most anything in combat. For your second HQ I would really recommend a Nurgle Daemon Prince w/wings. The DP is the best HQ choice in the Chaos codex and one of the best units in the codex in general. Combine that with the Mark of Nurgle for +1 T, wings for extra mobility, and if you have the points Warptime, and you have a truly nasty beast.

I wouldn't worry about running shooty terminators in a transport. Just give them a Heavy Flamer, which is a steal for the points, and combi-weapons based on your armies needs (Combi-meltas for tank hunting, Combi-Plasmas for elite crowd control). Then teleport them where they can be most effective on the battlefield and unload. Having icons act as teleport homers for terminators really helps get them exactly where you need.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Typhus and Kharne both rock, but Abaddon rocks harder. While Kharne kicks @$$ against infantry and Typhus takes names against MC's, Abaddon spanks both. He's just a little more than Typhus, but Abaddon really is the shiznit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're not overly concerned about fluff, run Kharn with a squad of Plague Marines.. they'll help make up for his lack of toughness and have a slightly better chance of surviving should he decide to take a chop at them.

Don't take Typhus... he's not worth it. AbbyDonny is a better choice for the points... although I personally prefer a flying Daemon Prince with any mark to either of them.

No transport needed for your Termies.. just keep them relatively cheap and deepstrike them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x3)

Fluff-wise as well, Abaddon could head any chaos army, He's supposed to have the mark of chaos ascendant. I'd prefer him over Kharn or Typhus - Jy2 already gave my reason for me.

^ Termies are difficult to keep cheap, at 30+ points each.

~ L

Master of the Universe BIGphil22X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Alright so I suppose my next question would be, other than a daemon prinde, which I hear are amazing, should my other HQ choice be Kharn, or a terminator?

Abaddon seems like he's just too many points, yet I hate the fact that Kharn only saves on 3+'s (not sure if I'm allowed to post that). Teriminator Lord almost seems like a sweet spot, or maybe I'm just ignorant.
    "Sanguine, my brother."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I'd say stick with a Termie Lord in 2000-2500 armies unless you're confident you've got everything covered, and have those points left to spare to crank it up to a special character.

It's really one of those calls one can only make with the rest of the list considered. Maybe that's not a lot of help, but it's really how I make that choice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast