Are lesser Daemons good in a CSM army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are lesser Daemons good in a CSM army?

Are lesser Daemons good in a CSM army? I have 2 boxes of plaguebearers for use in a Nurgle Chaos Marines army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Yes.
    My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

No.
    ----------
    :p One word answers are always the most helpful.

I've never seen much use for them, they're weak CSM for 1 less point. Why not spend the extra point and get something that can shoot, has a better save, and capture objectives?
    Nurgle, the freshmaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 points less
    I like Lesser Daemons, although i don't use them often, as i play mostly 1500pts, if i played more, i would probably add a lot of Daemons.

With both types of Daemons is depends on when they come in, 3rd turn is best methinks, because then the chance is you can get them down in assault range, they are the kind of unit that would allow normal CSM to be more shooty/objective holders

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Serbi View Post
    I've never seen much use for them, they're weak CSM for 1 less point. Why not spend the extra point and get something that can shoot, has a better save, and capture objectives?
    Lesser Daemons can capture objectives.

The point of this unit is twofold - first, they can summon to an icon without scatter, so they pretty much show up where they want to, and secondly, they can assault the turn they arrive.

You see, they pop up out of nowhere and kill things...

The most effective application is to have a squad with an icon in a Rhino, have it drive by an enemy unit you want dead/delayed, or an objective, summon the daemons, (who show up outside the rhino) and they can either grab the objective or attack (and tie-up) the enemy unit.

In the grand scheme of things they are about a point or two too expensive, but still a really neat unit.
    My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by aeroplane View Post
    In the grand scheme of things they are about a point or two too expensive, but still a really neat unit.
    Right. Really, they would see more play if they were 12 points. However, the comparison to the basic chaos marine is a little slanted, as nobody takes a basic chaos marine without further upgrades. So for example:

Chaos Marine Squad- 255
    *10 chaos marines with glory icon
    **2x melta guns
    **1x champ with fist
    *rhino

For that price, you can fetch nearly 20 lesser daemons, which can be split into as many as 4 squads without taking up valuable FO room. Now, that's a pretty nice option if you ask me.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Seconded, thirded....errr fourthed?!?

Lesser daemons are a great shock attack unit, the thing a lot of people forget is the invulnerable save. It makes them perfect to attack those units that negate saves in combat (genestealers, termies etc).

Like aeroplane said; the ability to deepstrike without scattering AND then assault is brilliant and a tactical boom that marines cannot provide.

In addition I totally agree with rabbit; the comparison between CSM and LD is flawed as I have yet to see a single list on any forum with un-upgraded CSM.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

I love using lesser demons on CSM drivebys.
    They're great as pure shock troops, and speedbumps. Also, if some combat doesn't look like its going to go your way, summon them up and assault. If you're sitting there gunlining, they can be used as a speedbump while you get your troops into a supperior possition. in CC, they can be used to overwhelm the enemy.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait... Daemons can assault the turn they arrive!? Well why didnt anyone say so

Seriously though... where does it say that? I cant find it in my codex. If they can though... I WANT SOME!

Edit: Ooh I found it now... Sorry... I guess this is kinda a useless post now... My advice? GET SOME!
    Last edited by Malignance 4; June 12th, 2009 at 23:44.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

It is in the codex, there is a section that deals with greater and lesser daemons being summoned. In there it clearly states that they can.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast