Bike question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

Bike question

Hi,

So, I have some space left in my army case, and I`m just wondering what the experienced players think about the bikes? Do they worth to buy, because I like them (the look and the idea behind) but I had no chance to try how they work.
    Would You buy some extra bikes? Good points, bad points? What set up is the best for bikes?

Thanks for every opinion!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Bikes are expensive but good.

I run 14 bikes in my Nightlords army and it works fine.

i often take 3 man squads with either 2 melta's, plasmas or flamers (depending on the army) and they can be a pain for your opponent.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

They're our best meltagun delivery system but are otherwise too low in model count to make a difference. I use a six-bike squad, two meltas and one powerfist. Use them to tankhunt or finish off monstrous creatures, and expect them to be dead by midgame. Still, they rarely die alone.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I think to choose bikes and to talk about them you need to think about raptors as well and decide which is better if you need a fast attack unit(s). They really aren't that different as far as equipment goes but the way they move, cost, and special rules make it vital that you know which one is best for your situation.

Raptors v Bikes:

Bike Pros:

Turbo-boost (obviously a great ability)
    Extra toughness ( very good to have but it isnt "real" toughness which has its downsides)
    Twin-linked bolter included in standard gear

Bike Cons:

Higher price (13pts or 1.65x more expensive than raptors)

Raptor Pros:

Lightning claws option for champ(not really a great pro, but it is there)
    Deep striking (not necessarily a pro, but an option that can be useful for delivering melta blasts where needed)

Raptor Cons:

No bolter like normal troopers/bikers(only pistol + CCW)

Summary:

Bikes - Even though most people use them as expendable models they are more durable than raptors in 2 ways(toughness increase and turbo boost). You will have a smaller squad most likely due to the cost being so much greater. Great for getting where they need to go quickly and delivering shooty pain but no slouches in assault either.

Raptors - Main benefit will be the lower cost making it easier to have larger squads. They have shorter range weapons (no bolter) so are quite a bit less "shooty" as a whole, but both bikes and raptors are being taken for their special weapons and speed, not bolter shots. Personally the larger number of models for the same cost wins it for me, but the best unit is the one that fits your army/needs.

I don't think there is a "better" but you need to decide which type is better for what you want to do. Bikes can be useful when used properly . If you are simply running them straight at the enemy as fast as possible to trade your bike squad for a tough enemy tank, just make sure you'll be getting more points back for that.
    Last edited by paregoric_HAL; June 18th, 2009 at 06:33.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

I'll admit, I'm not a fan of bikers. It's not their cost, but their footprint on the table, along with their inability to 'climb' some terrain pieces.

That said, most chaos players complain of cost more than any other factor, so let's take another look at cost with the following comparison:

Plague Marine Squad- 279
    *8x plaguers
    **2x melta guns
    **1x champion with a fist
    *rhino

Chaos Bike Squad- 291
    *7x bikers
    **2x melta guns

Really, the two are comparable in price, and both function (or can function) as spearhead units, both have sufficient staying power. Additionally, to point out the obvious, the biker unit is only one model less than the plague marines, which is a nice case of demonstrating how even expensive models, such as bikes, can be taken in somewhat larger units, while still keeping the price and squad size competitive with our troop choices.

I chose this particular comparison over the more traditional route of Raptor -vs- Biker, because I wanted to illustrate the hidden costs in our troop choices- that is: the rhino. Once we factor in enhanced mobility for our basic infantry, we find that both bikers and raptors are reasonably priced; albeit, I still contend our bikes should cost 2-4 points less, but that's just an old sticking point. In fact, to tell you the truth, if our raptors counted as scoring units and had 'ultra grit,' I doubt I'd ever take anything else but those speedy little suckers. Seriously, even as they stand, for 20 points, they are a real bargain.

Side: The problem I've had in the past with 7 bikes, as I've posted above, is the sheer amount of space they take up on the table, and thus, exposure to enemy fire. Of course, this all depends on your terrain setting. For my gaming environment, 6 is a better number (again terrain coverage issue), which then affords me sufficient points for the IoK. Like this:

Chaos Bike Squad- 288
    *6x bikers with IoK
    **2x melta guns
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

I like the comparision between the troop choice and the bikers. However given that trrops are so important in 5th Edition Id probably pick the Plauge Marines every day of the week as opposed to the bikes.

In answer to the original post, theres plenty of cool set-ups you can do with bikes.
    Champ w/ PF
    2 Meltas.
    Suicide squad-used for tank-hunting. Squad size can be increased where applicable.

Champ
    2 Special Weapons
    2-3 normal bikes.
    Bullet Magnet. The high toughness will soak up a lot of firepower allowing you to use the bikes to annoy the enemy.

Bodyguard for a Lord on Bike.

They are worth getting, just experiment and see what suits you best. Im a big advocate of having a wide range of madels to pick your army from so having some bikes to switch in/out is a good idea. However personally my bikes are all currently sitting on my paint table waiting for a fresh paint job after being ditched in 4th edition and not used since.
    My personal opinion is I feel they are too expensive/not as useful as Rhino mounted troop squads.
    Last edited by Memnoch; June 18th, 2009 at 20:50.
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

This is my favourite set up.

6 bikers: 2 plasma guns, IoCG, fist.

This is where bikers trump other units, they can rapid-fire the plasma guns and twin-linked bolters and then assault.

But really, comparing anything to plaguemarines is a little unfair. They are argueably the best troop unit in the game.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

Thank all of You for the answer!

I`ve raptors, and also PM with Rhino,and after all the bikers are not so bad, so I think I`ll buy some to make a squad (2 melta+PF). And I shall see if I can use them properly. As a DE player I used to the speed. And the suicide squads as well , I won`t cry when they be wiped out, just do their job (fire magnet, tunkhunting, annoying).

so, Thank You again!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    This is my favourite set up.

6 bikers: 2 plasma guns, IoCG, fist.

This is where bikers trump other units, they can rapid-fire the plasma guns and twin-linked bolters and then assault.

But really, comparing anything to plaguemarines is a little unfair. They are argueably the best troop unit in the game.
    Yeah, I'd have to agree about the plaguers. Although, my point was just to show how our bikes aren't that far out of reach for most players, or at least shouldn't be.

Also, I like your 6 man set up here. A really good bargain for the cost, not to mention the solid versatility against practically every type of enemy unit (troop and vehicle), save for heavily armored tanks. While you're losing a huge advantage of the melta tank busting capability that typically configures into bike squads, at the same time, it's not a huge deal, since your bikes can position in place so as to fire at side armor. Again, nice squad. I'll have to try them out.
    Last edited by Rabbit; June 19th, 2009 at 03:58.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

To be honest I think 5th Ed has killed of people's desire to experiment with anything except troops.

So when a thread like this comes along I get excited that someone dares to take a slightly suboptimal unit.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast