Undead as Chaos Daemons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

Undead as Chaos Daemons

I am looking at trying to do a fun conversion army based on an undead theme. Chaos Daemons caught my attention and I was wanting some opinions on the concept.

Teleporting/deepstriking/summoning is undead coalescing from elsewhere or clawing their way out of the earth. The heavy melee bent to Chaos Daemons allows for a good use of the fantasy undead warriors and knights plus the invul save is the undead fortitude.

Other thoughts off the top of my head would be ghouls for fleshhounds, banshee for flamers, grave guards (or undead-modded SMs) for bloodletters, some kind of undead dragon (wingless) for the soulgrinder... I think you get the picture.

Thoughts?

Also LotR mini's are GW, so given the approximate size matching and right bases, are these legal?

Before the comment, I am not interested in playing fantasy, just using an undead theme in my list. My other option is Chaos Marines with an undead-plague for nurglies, but I like the deepstrike into combat idea for undead hordes rising to kill their enemy-aspect.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why use LOTR minis? They're smaller and I was sure that there was some sort of license with the LOTR guys on it, although I'm not to sure.

Undead dogs/wolves for fleshhounds, easy as buying the dire wolves and the like. Hey, could even be undead calvary.

normal undead can represent whatever normal daemon unit you'd be using, but they don't have to be just normal human zombies, they can eldar, tau, ork, squat zombies if you like.

The undead dragon would more likely fit in as a greater daemon than a soul grinder. Fluffwise, so many planets in 40K and so many strange species, at least one planet better have some sort of dragon. The only dragon models as a whole I can think of are the actual zombie dragon, high elf plastic dragon and the LOTR dragon, unless you'd prefer to just get some dragon toys.
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a good idea.
    The visual of the undead ripping their way out of the ground to drag down their enemies works really well with the daemons deep strike.
    I agree with the above poster about using regular warhammer models over Lotr models. The larger size makes the models more menacing next to the opponents figs.
    I am going to model up a beastmen as daemons army and hope to hear what others think about proxying figs for daemons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

135 (x3)

The only LotR mini's I am honestly looking at are the Ring Wraiths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

135 (x3)

I had done some nice mods before mutilating SMs and adding skeletons bones and zombie parts plus riddling there bodies with bullet holes and melted armor. Alas I sold it off, but aside from my Marauder-Space Wolves, it was some of the most fun I have had on troop modeling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

I had a similiar idea. Also the deepstriking I thought worked well with them rising out of the ground. Also the invul. save works well for zombies just giving them the fact that even being blasted away parts of them are still functioning. You could do zombies of different races for different units. IE: horrors could be tau/eldar with who are more notorious for shooting.

The reason I gave up was some of the units I use I could not come up with a 40kish counterpart that would be able to use some sort of undead aspect. The SG and larger demons would be difficult also most of the units outside of the troops are larger and would take a stretch of the imagination to make "undead" counterpart to. The soulgrinder is massive compared to any other warhammer model and I don't think anything would do the part as undead unless you comehow did a zombified body attached to the soulgrinder hull.

For me the zombie guard would just be more easy and would fill my zombie loving niche. Also could be easily justified and potentially used as a traitor guard army if too many people are playing guard
    My upcoming blog in the works:
    http://plasticrackminis.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

I can see an undead dragon as a soulgrinder. Some might not, but it works for me.

You'd just need Vargoyles (or however you spell it), or something similarly sized as daemon princes and greater daemons.

Ghouls won't work as flesh hounds, because they're on the wrong sized base. Use the undead wolves instead. As long as they're on the correct base size, they should work fine.

As others have mentioned, LoTR miniatures are on a smaller scale (lord knows why), so they aren't good for conversions. They really aren't good for anything, honestly, except perhaps cheap undead (the ghostly warriors are fairly cheap when compared to Warhammer zombies).
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

135 (x3)

Perhaps a soulgrinder green-stuffed to look like a ghost/reaper and painted glowing green and luminescent to give it a Ghost-in-the-machine look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

135 (x3)

So far I have:

Soulgrinder - mod as a reaper

Greater daemons are good with some modding and zombie colors

Nurgle - SM zombies with melee
    flamers - banshees
    Flesh hound - dire wolves
    Nurglings - base of zombie hands or bat swarm
    Screamers - fell bats

Chariots - corpse cart and black coach
    Heralds mounted - black knights or blood knights, perhaps undead SM or Ork bikers!
    Pink Horrors - SM zombies with guns or spirit host
    bloodletters - cairn wraiths
    daemonettes - ghouls

I will try my best to keep 40k bits in there to maintain the futuristic feel and avoid vampiring it out too much.

+ Reply to Thread