Help beating tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help beating tyranids

Hi, my friend plays tyranids and we have had a few games and every time he has absolutely destroyed me, apart from one draw which was pure luck as he killed his own lictor.

I will try to recall wat he uses.
    Flyrant
    2 warrior broods, 4 in each.
    3 squads of gaunts, 16 in each.
    3 zoanthropes with warp blast.
    2 carnifexes with barb strangler and venom cannon.
    Brood lord with genestealer retuine (outflanking)
    8 genestealers (outflanking)

Might not be exactly right but its close enough. Anyone have suggestions to beat it? I'm looking for suggestions to be used in 1500pt games. Thanks

Last edited by bimmy; July 25th, 2009 at 08:03.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

kinkeh secks pl0x?! Brother Tiberius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x2)

the 4 flamer chosen squad should work quite well against this army...

Give a 5 man chosen squa 4 flamers and run them in a rhino.. taking out an entire gaunt squad would be hilarious then embarking back onto the rhino and mvoing onto the next bug...

If you want to be truely horrible run 2 of these units.
    My homage to my time spent at Libararium Online:
    Crimson Fists
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1658499

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x6)

Honestly the only way I have ever effectively beaten nids is by getting the big guys at the longest range possible.

I would suggest take a Defiler to wait patiently for the broodlord, him and his gene-boys can be REAAAL nasty if not delt with fast. (im sure youv experienced them if he uses them) The large blast should be able to get a good amount of them in a single shot, Also, keep your men away from the board edge if you can.

Then I would say some obliterators for the 'fexs and flyrant (who should be an imediate priority)

Don't deal with the gaunts to much, CSM units with just bolters is all that should be dedicated to them until the large guys are gone.

1k sons can do some good damage to warriors, a squad of 10 of them should be able to get most, if not all, a single squad of 4 warriors down in a single shooting round.if he is using hormigaunts get some regular marines around them to try to charge and lock them in combat as best as you can (shoot 1st though if pressented the oportunity)

as for the zoanthropes, it really depens what he actualy decides to give them. basicaly anything but warp blast or possibly catalist means they shouldnt be a huge priority, if they effect your leadership and you get charged by a fex, you WANT to run, and hope for some good rolls so he doesnt catch you.

All in all, stay out of combat with as much as you can. Only charge if you need to protect something like your heavy support (or equivalant weapon platforms like 1k sons)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes i can see that going very well, thanks, keep it commin. And yea he does give the zoanthropes warp blast.
    Last edited by bimmy; July 23rd, 2009 at 14:27.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig150294 View Post
    And yea he does give the zoanthropes warp blast.

I figured that much, most people do take that. Just try to keep in cover or out of 24 inches is all i can say about them. dont waist 1k sons on them if you go with that idea, the 2+ armour will win. lol just put as many shots at them as you can, if you WANT to try CSM with plasma, then that can work, i personaly stay away from plasma weapons because more often then not i kill myself and inflict no wounds. (i suck at rolling for plasma weapons, i dont know why)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Defilers make a mess out of Genestealers, Gaunts and and Warriors, especially if paired up with a lash prince/lash sorc. For the Flyrant and Carnifex', add a few lascannon shots, preferably from a squad of Oblits or Predators (Land Raiders obviously work too, but they cost alot). I've had a ton of success with using Plague Marines to stave off Genestealers, Warriors and Gaunts as they need to roll 4+ in order to wound and PM get their 3+save and a 4+FNP. I've had a few games that my PMs get charged by Genestealers and I only lost 2 models before wiping them out and going on to the next squad.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

It would help us more if you told us your army list too. Then we can give specific advice on tactics or list changes.

As a general tactica you need plenty of plasma firepower. Plasma guns in CSM squads, Plasma cannon on obliterators and of course other anti tank weapons help as well.

Don't wory too much about the gaunts. 16 of them will harry the CSMs but a good load of bolters will help evaporate them down to an insignificant number. Noise marines with sonic blasters are good for mowing them down at range with heavy 3 shooting at 24". You can also use them like grey knights using the assault 2 firing mode to withdraw in front of gaunts keeping them out of charge range. This also works against steelers and warriors especially if he doesn't take extended carapace.

Killing steelers is probably your top priority. Most firepower should be directed against them appart from the lascannon etc who should try to kill tyrants. Predators with AC+2HB and a havoc launcher will do a good job.

10 Standard CSMs in cover with 2 plasmas and a PF champion work well. The cover helps out against those S5 AP3 blasts but also means steelers and the like have to attack last giving you an extra opportunity to kill 3-4 of them in combat. If he pays for flesh hooks then you will at least be facing fewer steelers.

If you wish to kill tyrants and carnifexes then take 5 terminators with 1-2 PF and 5 combiplasma. Rappid fire these at any monsterous creature and watch it dissapear. After the combiweapons are empty they still have a role gunning units down with bolters and charging them with power weapons. Tyranids have problems with terminators with very few ways of getting through the armour except up close in combat. This means your 10 plasma shots when you rappid fire should not be deminnished by incoming fire. Icon of Tzeentch will help your termies in the inevitable combats with armour ignoring units.

Lash princes are worth their weight in gold. Lash of submission can clump nids together to increase the effecitveness of blast and template weapons. They can also disrupt the tyranid advance by delaying some units while others arrive unsupported. When steelers approach a CSM squad move your men back to 11-12" range and rappid fire at them. If the shooting didn't kill enough just lash the survivours back 2D6" to give you an extra round of shooting. Early in the game you can lash a victim unit towards your gunline to enable 2-3 squads to rappid fire when they would otherwise be firing at long range. Daemon princes have also got a reasonable chance at finishing off wounded monsterous creatures before they get to attack you. Warptime and MoN is the other favourite design. Just don't sennd them in against the steelers or broodlord.

Obliterators are excelent with their golf cady of weapons. If you take no vehicles the oblits can take over the role and they are less vulnerable to the zoanthrope powers and venom cannon.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

My favorite squad to hunt tyranids has to be 10 CSM with 2 melta guns, champ with fist, icon of khorne and a rhino. It comes out at 275 points but you are both good against the hoard and the MC. 3 power fist attacks per turn is really good against MC with no inv save.

You have to deal with the genestealers by shooting, in cc they will destroy you. Everything else is manageable with a power fist.

Usually vehicules are my way of winning against tyranids. Make them open up the tanks in close combat, disembark, on your turn move shoot assault and you deal with the units one at the time. Do not go to the next until the first is dead. If they can't destropy your rhinos just ride them along and shoot from the hatch those melta guns until they can open it.

A shooting fex is a easy target to a power fist. Zoantropes are dead once in cc, they are only good at shooting. The Flying Tyrant is the biggest threat because he chooses his combats, if you keep everything close to one an other you can easily counter-charge.
    "Iron Within, Iron Without"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_rose_00 View Post
    The Flying Tyrant is the biggest threat because he chooses his combats, if you keep everything close to one an other you can easily counter-charge.
    Black Rose speek um much sense here. Deploying in a mutually supporting manner is very important against nids and the like. You avoid individual units being picked on and if an enemy killer unit does wipe out a squad you have several close by units to shoot the pants off them and ensure it doesn't happen again.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the broodlord can't fleet or scout so he can neither come in from the board edge or charge you after running, well this is how i play him as I used to think he had the same rules as the genestealers until my mate pointed it out.. have a read through your freinds codex as this will be a big help.

T.G.
    I'm Useless :D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast