Do you actually deep strike your obliterators? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you actually deep strike your obliterators?

I guess I can see wanting to deep strike with Obliterators if you morph meltaguns or flamers.

However, there is the disadvanage of not starting on the board and blowing things up from the beginning and also not knowing which turn they will show up.

Also, the advantages of being relatively far from close combat as well as the selection of heavy weapons available seems to be a much better deal for Obliterators then deep striking and randomly showing up at a position.

Are there any good times to deep strike Obliterators instead of starting them on the board?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

Objective based games, it's great to deep strike them. Also, if your enemy has a lot of str 8 weapons, deep strike would be great.

And if you have icons in your army, deepstrike = you kill enemy tank when they come in. (Twin linked melta-guns kinda do that)
    Nurgle, the freshmaker.

With Oden On Our Side... The Doctor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

I always start Oblits on the board. I'd much rather have that fire power from the start. Plus, it gives another target for my opponent to shoot at that isn't my Rhinos filled with Berzerkers.

Granted I only tried using Oblit's twice, so my experience is pretty weak. I'm not really fond of deep striking anyway. Not knowing when some big guns will show up (or where precisely they'll show up, unless you're using Icons).

Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Beer for the Bronze Keg!

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

I never used to deep strike my oblits. Previously I used them as my main long range AT, but now that the chaos list is faster with cheap rhinos and is orientated for the CC and short range Id be tempted to hold a cult in reserve. Then using yor Icons you can fall upon a troublesome unit (Im thinking terminators dreadnaughts etc.)

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I almost always start them on the board since they're the primary source of quality and quantity long-ranged support. However, there are times, especially with objectives, they can be fandy. I was playing a footslogging list in Capture the Flag (whatever the name is, I'm brain-farting) and my elf-zilla opponent had a big unit of pathfinders sitting on his objective in cover. Deepstrike twin-linked flamer toting oblits right next to them, score 10+ wounds and watch the entire squad evaporate leaving him with just 1 scoring unit remaining (granted, a squad of 10 wraithguard with farseer and warlock). Suddenly my objective was much safer from claiming by the enemy
    Wargamer Haven, my little cyberspace blogspot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

I almost always Deep Strike my Oblits. In my mind the randomness in their arrival isn't a something that works against me, but works against my opponent. They have no idea when my Oblits will show up and need watch themselves accordingly, and as far as I'm concerned if I can't find something for them to when they arrive, I've already won the game.
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also find deep-striking my Oblits to be more beneficial, especially if you are playing dawn of war. If I could always place my obliterators in some terrain with a good view of the entire battlefield, I would start them on the board each time. But since this is not the case, I prefer to deep-strike them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

If I start mine on the field they get Lascannon'd very quickly - which there ain't much you can do about that.

Deep Striking also allows you to place them where you need with the help of Icons, you can wait and decided when they come in where they will be most needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i deep strike them since they tend to be fire magnets for my opponent's heavy weapons. in addition, it makes it easier for me to use their twin linked meltaguns/flamers or multi melta against irritating walkers like soul grinders and dreadnoughts.
    How Did This Get Here I Am Not Good With Computer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x3)

It depends on the mission, outline of the table, opponent race and armylist. I can't say there is a tacticel correct answer who can generally be applied.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast