5 Meltas in one squad?!?! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    loves purple tyranids SGluciousa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

5 Meltas in one squad?!?!

Just like Swarm Tactician I too am starting up Chaos. I was originally going to make a pre-heresy death guard list, but I decided against it after I built a squad of marines, a lord, and a dreadnought. All of them are painted to look pre-heresy except the Lord who looks as if he has captured souls in his armour and they are trying to escape.

But anyway, I want to run a Hakanor Reaver army. I really enjoy the scheme for it is simple, yet effective. Also, I believe I can easily do it in a short amount of time. To the point though. I have been running throught the codex and I have been wondering about the chosen. I noticed that it is possible in a 5 man squad to get 5 plasma guns. Is this a good idea? I think that would be pretty intense to give all 5 of them Plasmas, Meltas, or Flamers. It just sounds beast to put them in a rhino with 5 melta's and just go tank popping. However, because of the 5 man squad they are very vulnerable. Now I am just rambling though I shall finish this up.

What do you think of this Choson idea?

The Great Plague meets The Devourer of The Galaxy. What does that make us?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Chosen in a rhino with a good compliment of melta / flamer lovin' is a great disruption unit. Outflank and watch your opponent shiver (or take a beating when they show up). And you can always add a few more chosen to pad the weapons a bit.
    Wargamer Haven, my little cyberspace blogspot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, while I haven't made the 5 man melta in rhino chosen yet, I still want to. On paper they just seem way to hilarious not to try out.

As for 5 chosen and 5 plasma, I'm not so sure I'd run them by themselves. Throw some more bodies into that squad so they can keep on shooting. With the melta squad, you can run in, blow up at least one vehicle and call it a success with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Five Meltas in one squad? Sounds like some serious overkill to me. That is unless you plan to be going toe to toe with some Titans in the near future.

In all seriousness though (as I have to add something constructive) I don't think you'll need more than three Meltas in one unit, and since those are Assault weapons I'd suggest adding a Flamer alongside. I'd save the last weapon slot for that Powerfist Champ (which you should bring on almost every CSM squad in my meager opinion). Like the others have said, that configuration with the Mark of Khorne is popular to outflank with. I can't say from any personal testing though, I love the fluff of Chosen, but rarely get a chance to use them. I also think that a squad with three or four plasmaguns would be very useful as well (though I'd probably drive them up from deployment, not outflank).

Hope this helps. Kudos for choosing the Reavers, I'd love to see how your paint job turns out!
    Last edited by hotspike18; July 30th, 2009 at 23:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

runnign 3 flamers and 2 powerfists/swords a out of a land raider seems far to hilarious to not use at least once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Also a good point - and I've actually done this once before - have the boys bring a bunch of Powerfists and Weapons and all that - really good time, expensive, but fun with the assitance of a Land Raider. (largely impractical though)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

I don't have my codex with me but I'll take a wild guess here and expect the 5 man plasma squad to be very expensive (point wise) and especially so, considering the risk you're taking; A small squad that will be priority numero uno on "seize initiatives", and with their only weapons being made on the "gets hot!" rule... this sounds like the outcome.

The problem i see with a plasma or melta heavy chosen squads is;The proximity required for optimum effect is very short, meaning that an you either have to outflank or use infiltrate.

-If you decide to outflank ,you'll risk arriving on a side that's useless to your tactic or having your reserves rolls too late (My land raider already on your side of the board toasting your troops with some template 6s ap3 goodness , oh yeah!)

Comparing an outflank "Chosen" tactic to a deep striking terminator with combi<weapon> approach, you can see that you'll get , for almost the same points: 2/5++ armor saves, power weapons, more precision strikes with Icons preventing scatters.

"But wait" you say, "Combi-weapons can only fire once! Clearly, investing in chosen is worth the multiple shots it gives". In my experience its never been true for short range special weapons. On the other hand, Long ranged weaponry, Plasma cannons or missile launchers will definitely fire more than once, so range again is the issue here.

-If you get to fire an extra d6 penetration on my tanks or rapid fire my troops with plasma: Chances are you'll get assaulted next turn to prevent you from shooting again , or I'll "fleet' of "All out" move my tanks out of dodge , again to minimize the lethality of your chosen.

Combi<weapon> terminators have better survivability , and more lethality in close combat, making them a better choice regardless of the single "combi" shot. But if you insist on getting the full melta effect , I'd go with raptors any day of the week: They cover more distance, can pursue enemy much better etc.

I've gone on for a bit too much ,I'll leave it at that.

-Peace &
    Last edited by seismic; August 1st, 2009 at 01:34.
    "The things that appear are a vision of the unseen"
    -Anaxagoras of Clazomenae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

To make chosen work to maximum effect they really need to have a transport, which will typically mean a rhino. Otherwise you will indeed be likely to get a bit more mileage out of the termies.
    Wargamer Haven, my little cyberspace blogspot.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

i just take 5, 3 with meltas, cos they dont hit all the time and 2 flamers cos they always hit and let them outflank its amazing how quickly people forget you have units outflanking
    thats how those damn genes always get me

loves purple tyranids SGluciousa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x2)

Well I have a really cool bit of tactics that I would like to try out, but this requires me being able to drive a tank backwards. Is there a rule about that?

What I want to do is take a 10 man squad of berzerkers in a rhino. Then take the 5 man squad I guess with three melta's and two flamers because that seems more practical. You put the berzerker rhino in front with the chosen rhino behind them, but the rhino's rear-ends are touching. That way, the back armor is never showing giving you an advantage. PLUS, you can drive up sideways to your enemy and deploy the troops behind the rhinos. Then on the next turn when you can assualt, you move the rhinos out of the way, flamer and Melta anything close, then assualt with the berzerkers.

So how does that sound?
    The Great Plague meets The Devourer of The Galaxy. What does that make us?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast