Beating Terminators with Thunderhammers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beating Terminators with Thunderhammers

Hi guys,

I've got a campaign game this coming Thursday with arguably the best player in our club and I know he'll be playing those darned Space Marine Terminators with Thunderhammers and Storm Shields....

We're playing 1,500pts, I'm not looking at what's the best roster vs an army fielding this particular unit, what I'd like is to see how best to get rid of them quickly...?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need more information. how many does he field, does he deep strike or put them in an LR, or footslog them, will they have a chaplain or lib attached, and what's the rest of his army like.

if all you care about is killing those specific models, you probably won't do much better (in an all around unit) than a karmoon special terminator squad (4 terminators, 1 chainfist, 1 heavy flamer, 3 combi plasma guns) with a terminator sorc attached (i prefer it with wind of chaos for this, but using warptime and getting in there isn't bad either).
    How Did This Get Here I Am Not Good With Computer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally he fields them in a Land Raider as far as Chaplain or Librarian I'm not sure cos he changes the configuration quite often.... last I heard he used 10 of these guys in two Raiders but more often than not he's played five...

I've heard about that terminator squad but wouldn't this be much better in terms of attacks

8 Berserkers + 1 Chaos Lord with Power Armour / 5+ inv / Mark of Khorne (Base attacks now 4) and Bloodfeeder Demon Weapon which grants 2D6+ attacks....for 308pts

They'll all be inside a Land Raider ready to pounce - with CC attacks ranging from 38 - 50 not to mention the pistols before assault...?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

allufrio, if he's half a decent player at all, he won't allow you to get the charge on his termis. Being in a LR pretty much assures he'll get the initial charge. Although, you could always counter charge with your zerkers, which might not be a bad idea. Still, that means you'll have to deposit one of your other squads to be the poor recipient of his terminator carnage.

Another option would be to load up on defilers and dreads and use them to bust the LR(s) prior to the termi's disembarkment. At least then you could remove their mobility. Then perhaps you could use the dreaded lash to keep pushing the termis away, all the while, pinging them to death with basic fire. Just a thought.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, as far as fire power goes, I could field my unit as mentioned above in a land raider which will ensure I get at the very least a shot at his LR after my initial 12" move (that's if it's still standing) however, I normally field 2/3 Obliterators and a defiler too... meaning he'll have his work cut out for him with regards to firepower...

Also got a unit of possessed which I can field with a couple of meltaguns - infiltrate them and if I get first turn and target his landraider... with some luck they'll take it and leave them out in the open ....

Chaos Marines will take care of the rounds whilst I get my berserkers in for an assault together with the chaos lord... all the while my daemon prince moves in behind the land raider using his lash whenever possible.... once they're engaged he'll come in and give a hand....

obviously, all this whilst remembering that he has other units that need taking care of and an objective to control perhaps... I'm seriously hoping for annihilation on this one!... lol
    Last edited by allufrio; September 15th, 2009 at 18:30.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by allufrio View Post

Also got a unit of possessed which I can field with a couple of meltaguns - infiltrate them and if I get first turn and target his landraider... with some luck they'll take it and leave them out in the open ....
    Perhaps you mean chosen? As, possessed can neither infiltrate nor take special weapons.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Perhaps you mean chosen? As, possessed can neither infiltrate nor take special weapons.
    lol - yeah, chosen chaos marines - got a little carried away there....

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

As Space Marine player who regularly uses the TH/SS Terminators, I can tell you the only thing I fear AT ALL is sheer weight of fire. Nothing else is much of a concern. Keep your chainfists, plasmaguns, all of it. At most you'll take out one or two unless I'm REALLY unlucky with my saves.

But slap 30 wounds on anything and I don't give a rat's arse what they've got - they're going down.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Lash is fun to throw at AssTerms; since they have no ranged attack judicious use of Lash can make them worse than useless, and unless there's a Chappy in the squad they're not immune to Pinning either.

Other than that weight of fire is also not a bad idea, but you need to make sure you're not dumping 2/3rds of your shooting into them so Blasts and Templates are the order of the day. Daemons will also annoy them to some extent. Also bear in mind that charging a half-dead AssTerm unit isn't always a bad idea, because with TH/ SS setup they'll always go last. If you have a proper CC hammer unit like LC Termies or Kharn or a Warptimed DP, it might be worth using that to finish his Termies off.

Of course you could always just drop a unit of Oblits next to the Land Raider, Melt it in it's own deployment zone, then laugh as the AssTerms have to hare it across the table to get at you >_<

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I just shoot them with lots of Rapid Fire guns. Maybe a Demolisher Cannon but Plasma and such is usually wasted, lots of wounds is the way to go. Works in Assault too, put tons of wounds on them before I1. If your opponent has a huge unit, some people run 10, just try to ignore them. That's a huge points investment and his army probably suffered because of it.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast