Twin lightning claw termies viable? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twin lightning claw termies viable?

Hello, i am new to 40k in general, as well as to chaos. I was wondering if 4 aspiring champion twin lightning claw + 1 chainfist termie was viable. I am starting a khorne army and would put mark of khorne on them as well. I calculated that they would get an average of 8.25 saved wounds on space marines and terminators, with 20 rerollable to wound power weapon attacks and 3 powerfist attacks. Are they possible to deepstrike effectively or must they go in a land raider to be effective?

On a separate but related note, are lightning claws available to buy somewhere by themselves?

Thank you in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like them, though I'd only seriously consider it if you put them in a Landraider. Taking the lightning claws in pairs is probably your best bet. Give your chanfist guy either a combi-melta or a reaper autocannon for a little ranged support.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

That is an expensive unit, not sure if it is a great idea.

But if you do decide to go down that road then a landraider is almost mandatory.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

As Skarsgard said, rather expensive. You're spending 230 points just for the four termis, and that's not even including the addition of a 5th with chain fist. Still, it can be done.

Also, how are you getting 8.25 wounds against Marines with this unit?
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my calculation

here it goes:

20 attacks (claws)
    X
    50% chance to hit
    X
    75% chance to wound (50% chance to wound + 50% chance on a 50% chance for reroll)
    X
    66% chance of avoiding the invulnerable save
    =5

(I figured out i messed up last time by giving then a 5/6 chance of bypassing the save)

3 attacks (chainfist)

50% chance to hit
    X
    83% chance to wound
    X
    66% chance of avoiding save
    =.8514 of a kill

I was incredibly far off and i notice those invulnerable saves really add up ( i didnt factor them correctly before)
    Last edited by evilmuffinz; September 17th, 2009 at 05:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

You dont attack enemy terminator with your own terminator. You attack enemy terminators with your Berzerkers. Your I5 vs their I4 = win. Plus you got S5 and lots of attacks.
    You send your terminators after enemy infantry squads, NOT after their HQ (power weapons are bad for you, especially those at I5 when you're I4).

There really isnt anything that Twin Lightning Claws Terminator Champs can do that Berzerkers can't (except being much cooler).
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

In Chaos, there are a of of CC units vying for space in your list. Lightning claw Terminators are worth their cost; bring 'em if you like 'em! Mr. Wayne made a good point about initiative; I think IoS would prove much more valuable than IoK if you're hunting MEQs. Also, I recommend a fifth Terminator instead of champion upgrades; in my experience, numbers count more than anything else in close combat. (Assuming you're already capable of hurting the enemy, of course. Also assuming you don't intend to use them as a Lord retinue.)
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread