Dark Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Wolves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Wolves

I was always planning making my khorne force dark wolves. I personally think the models are plain badass, except that they don't wear helmets some times, which i never allow because it is freaking retarded not to wear a helmet. With the new codex and models for space wolves coming out, i was wondering if i should go the whole nine yards and use space wolf rules. Does anyone have an opinion on them compared to chaos rules? I know i would be leaving the cool realm of chaos for the mundane imperium, but the wolves have units like wolf priests and wolf guard that i like. Additionally, would it be possible to label them as chaos marines, or do i have have to become plain space marines? Responses are appreciated and i am torn about this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wolf preists, khorne hates pyskers
    If a man wants to live let him fight, If a man does not want to fight he does not deserve to live.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFear888 View Post
    wolf preists, khorne hates pyskers
    this.

if you want any form of psyker, you'd have to severely break fluff. not sure how you feel about that. but of course it would also be up to your opponent.

I'm also wondering would you hope to still have access to icons, daemons, defilers, etc.?

if you don't care for them and can do with out, you might as well go imperium.

on the same token, I know if I was playing you, I wouldn't be thrilled with you cherrypicking from 2 codices

(just my .02)
    Last edited by Demoneyeskyo; September 19th, 2009 at 07:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFear888 View Post
    RUNE preists, khorne hates pyskers
    fixed
    cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not familiar with Dark Wolves at all, but I'm not really keen on hybrid codex.. Well, in friendly matches, rules are there to be broken, really. But choose the codex you'll play. You can't really get the mix and match the rules like you wanna. That's the reason I see for us to have Ubergrit, and the loyalists to have combat tactics.
    And now to erase your memory of this entire conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

I say go for it. Dark wolves sound really interresting and cool. Make them using Chaos Torsos with Space Wolves shoulderpads and vice versa. That way you get a healthy blend of chaos stars and wolves iconography. A nice colourscheme would be black with green or grey details.
    You can then use both codexesdepending on which time they fight, close to their break with the Empire (using Space Wolves rules) or a few hundred years after their break (using CSM rules) or even a few thousand years after the break when they have descended down the path of bloodlust (using only khornate units).
    I would LOVE to play against such an army - never knowing what rules set to expect.
    This is also a great base for fluff. You can describe why a whole company of Space Wolves turns traitor (maybe during a Warp accident), how they have organised the fall, who their leaders are etc etc. And how they are hunted by their brethren secretly (it would be a disaster if the Inquisition discovered that a whole great company have turned traitor).
    Keep me updated on how you'll do this.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clarification

I realize that I was not clear before, my fault. My real question was which codex I should use. I do not want to hybridize codexes (codexi?), because i think that it would be unfair. Again, i was unclear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

What do you mean by hybrid codexes?
    And how would it be unfair to have an army that you can use different codexes with?
    It's not like you'll use mixed units from several codexes in the same army. That would be crazy, and extremely broken.
    My thought was that you modell and paint models that you can use both as a Chaos army and a Space Wolf army. It's up to you decide how to use it. You could use it to break the game and tailor it to meet different enemies, or you could use it as a fluffy army that uses different codexes depending on where in their own history they are. That's just up to you
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; September 19th, 2009 at 18:47.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that depends totally on how you wanna play them.
    Like Deamoneyeskyo said, Are you intending to use defilers and oblits within your pack, or do you find the ferocity of the wolves interesting enough to just use them?

When the new SM book was released, alot of players were rethinking their way of looking at chaos. What would they rather, have speciel rules for their tacts, that might give them some of the old fluff back a bit, or would they rather use our flexible, but rather fluff-limited codex.

Personally, I'd try both.. Playtesting is a beautiful thing, and it lets you experience without all the serious matter some opponents might have..

But just out of curiousity; What is so speciel about the wovles?.. I think their great looking models, and I love the old nordic inspiration they have upon them. but what rules are involved, what speciel units do they possess?
    And now to erase your memory of this entire conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

You can do something like what I'm planning to do: make both armies at once.

Take a space wolf. Add two wolf skulls to the backpack. Magnetise the head if it has a helmet. Paint them red. Make some Khorne Helmets for the models that would need them, and magnetise them too. You can then use them as either Khorne Berserkers or Wolfs!

Sure, you'll have to be creative with greenstuff to hide Astartes insignia and whatnot, but it can be done.

I'm also planning on converting/magnetising dreadnoughts so I can swap peices as needed to play them as daemon princes.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast