Questions from a chaos daemon noob - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions from a chaos daemon noob

Hi guys. Desperate for some advice on the Daemons. Haven't been playing 40k for long and my first army has been Tau, which of course is highly shooty. But after having experienced my mates khorne bezerkers perform over 30 power weapon attacks on my group of fire warriors, I wanted to get a very close combat orientated army, and with such good looking models the chaos daemons were an obvious choice. I do have a few questions though. I already have a fair few models although I haven't played them at all. I've listed what i have below, but I would really appreciate your advice on which units are good and those that aren't and which units you think I should be investing in. Another question that I had was that I was thinking of fielding Skarbrand and it says in his profile that he has breath of chaos, but he doesn't have a BS figure and there is no range on the breath of chaos stats. How does that work?

I currently have:

Fateweaver
    A Bloodthirster
    A Keeper of secrets
    Skulltaker

10 Bloodletters
    10 Daemonettes
    10 Plaguebearers
    2 units of nurglings

1 bloodcrusher

5 Flesh hounds
    Karanak

A soul grinder
    2 Daemon Princes

All help is greatly appreciated guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Breath of Chaos is a template attack, check out the rulebook for full coverage.

Khorne Berzerkers don't have power weapons, only the Skull Champion gets one

Daemons have problems with speed, getting shot up, and armor. You need units to close quickly so you won't get shot up, units that can endure a round of shooting, and a way to knock out armor and get units in transports out of them.

Fiends, Flesh Hounds, Seekers, and things with fleet/wings do the 1st, Plaguebearers and Nurgle DPs do the 2nd and anything with bolt, Fiends, MCs and Hounds do the 3rd.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Fiends and Bloodcrushers are two of the best close combat units in all of 40k, so I'd consider getting more of both. They're expensive in real $, but you could always convert them out of plastic/random parts. I built my fiends out of chaos spawn and some extra tyranid bits, and I built my bloodcrushers out of the dwarven carts from the 'battle for skull pass' set and some bloodletters.

With the new rending rules, Skulltaker isn't worth it anymore. I'd just use him as a really cool looking bloodletter.

I'd consider getting 5-10 more daemonettes. You really need 15-20 in the unit for them to survive shooting. They're very effective in close combat, but you need them to survive long enough to get there.

I'm not crazy about flesh hounds, but some people like them, so use them if you like. However, I'd definitely add a unit of fiends and/or more bloodcrushers before using any fleshhounds.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers guys, all help is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Fateweaver is rather useful in any army, as he allows you to reroll any type of save. Don't completely rely on him as this ability only extends to units within 6".
    The point that Skulltaker rends on a 4+ causing instant death makes him a great MC or SC killer.
    Looking at the models you have, i'd seriously consider using the Bloodthirster as Skarbrand.
    I'd also consider flamers, as a problem i had when i started was that i had no fire support in my first wave, the inability to cut down enemy numbers can be bad, as this means they'll have more to shoot you up before you get into combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've bought a couple more Bloodcrushers and another set of daemonettes. Was going to field Fateweaver within 6 inches of the 3 bloodcrushers to give them the reroll on failed wounds and also gives them a bit of shooting to soften up any enemy units first.
    Was also thinking of taking a slaanesh herald on a chariot, and keep it near the daemonettes for back-up.
    Fiends and flamers are the next must have units on my list, but I will have to wait for christmas.
    Last edited by Penfolds Beatch; November 25th, 2009 at 23:14.

+ Reply to Thread