Bare Bones Daemon Princes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    51 (x1)

Bare Bones Daemon Princes

Hey guys, wanted to pick your brains; I've been running a super pricey daemon prince of tzeentch, with wings and breath (it's the old chaos dragon I got for a song). For it's points price, I could get 2 bare bones Khorne DP's to run with my bloodletters. I get double the wounds, 150% more attacks, but a lesser save. I'd use them as mainly destraction units, looking for them to pull shots away from my troops.

Has anyone done something similar, and what results have you had?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

first off, why are you running a Tze DP and not taking a single Tze upgrade? instead of breath take Bolt of Tzeentch for the great anti tank ability. If not then just get Iron Hide instead of MoT

Anyway DPs are too fragile. 4 wounds at T5 with only a 5++ save will get downed easy by a one of two units of infantry fire. Just as slow as normal infantry and since you don't have any shooting you have to wade it into combat like the rest of the Khorne daemons. Worse of all being a MC it's almost impossible to get a cover save as opposed to bloodletters and cruhsers. I'd rather take an equal worth of bloodletters because they at least can cap objectives and get a cover save while retaining pretty much the same offensive abilities on the charge

DPs are only really good if they're around 200 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    51 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by CrownAxe View Post
    first off, why are you running a Tze DP and not taking a single Tze upgrade? instead of breath take Bolt of Tzeentch for the great anti tank ability. If not then just get Iron Hide instead of MoT
    My armies khorne/tzeentch, so it needed either a mok or mot. Second, the models a dragon, so breath made sense. Also, breath is a more combat orientated power than bolt, and I use the DP as back up to my bloodthirster or LoC. Finally, with wings it's generally out of range of rapid fire weaponary, and only really gets targeted by Heavy Weapons not pointed at my GD, so an invulnerable save made more sense than a slightly better armour save. Can't be negated by a lascannon you see.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

I agree with Crownaxe, breath doesn't make sense on a DP of Tzeentch, not when they can take bolt, and fire with a BS of 5.

These days, I only run daemon princes one of three ways, but all of them work well:

DP of Tzeentch w/bolt

DP of Slaanesh w/iron hide, pavane, daemonic gaze

DP of Nurgle w/breath, flight, noxious touch, cloud of flies

The DP of Tzeentch is a great distraction unit that can also pop rhinos easily. They're a great unit for the initital wave.

The DP of Slaanesh is good for moving enemy units around, thinning their numbers, and then holding them in close combat (as long as they don't have powerfists). It's a little more expensive then the first one, but it's a bit more versatile, especially against non-mechanized enemy armies.

The DP of Nurgle is very resilient to low strength enemy fire/attacks, and is great against virtually any type of opponent. Just be aware that they draw a lot of fire. I don't give them ironhide because they have toughness 6. That's high enough to usually resist most enemy infantry fire, making high strength enemy fire the largest threat to it, and most of that is at least AP3.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

If you're looking for effectiveness, winged Tzeentchy DPs with nary a bolt to be found are not going to be for you. That said, it sounds like a neat model, so whatevs.

The problems with naked Princes are the same as those with Bloodcrushers and Bloodletters. Sure they hit hard, but they're slow. If you don't have any speedy units, it'll be tricky getting them into assault unharmed or even at all. The only feasible way is to bring stuff like Fiends, or a whole mess of slow beaters (Kheralds on chariots, Crushers, DPs) and drop so nothing can escape your net of doom. It's a risk, of course, but dropping RAEG comets on people is amusing.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

That's a very good point, ==Me==, and that's why I always give Daemon Princes either flight, bolt, or pavane. One way or the other, you need a way of getting close to the enemy, and although bolt doesn't do that directly, it takes out transports and forces the enemy to deal with you, often bringing them close and within reach of assault (if not, then fire away ^_^).
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread