New chaos player wanting advice on army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New chaos player wanting advice on army

Hello. Im looking to start a chaos space marine army as a change to playing my dark eldar army.

Ive decided on going after a thousand sons based one, admittidly mainly for the colour scheme, and its an excuse to buy some of the awesome forgeworld vehicle upgrades eventually when cash is less of an issue!

Im wanting to buy a balenced 1500 point force. It doesnt have to be totally dedicated to 1000 sons, but i dont want to use Khorn units since I understand thats a big no fluff wise, I want the force to at least be viable storyline wise.

Anyway, so far I was thinking of buying the following. Cash is an issue at the moment so id like to keep cost down, but will be building on the initial force over the next few months. Heres what im considering buying so far.

1 Demon Prince
    1 thousand sons squad box
    2 normal chaos space marine squads
    1 squad of 5 terminators
    1 Obliterator
    1 Rhino
    1 Chaos Predator
    1 Defiler

That will be a very shooty force however and has nothing for CC other than the demon prince.

So yeah, im new to chaos, and have only ever played DE in the past year since I started 40k again, so any advice is welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by spaghettyhoop View Post
    Hello. Im looking to start a chaos space marine army as a change to playing my dark eldar army.

Ive decided on going after a thousand sons based one, admittidly mainly for the colour scheme, and its an excuse to buy some of the awesome forgeworld vehicle upgrades eventually when cash is less of an issue!

Im wanting to buy a balenced 1500 point force. It doesnt have to be totally dedicated to 1000 sons, but i dont want to use Khorn units since I understand thats a big no fluff wise, I want the force to at least be viable storyline wise.

Anyway, so far I was thinking of buying the following. Cash is an issue at the moment so id like to keep cost down, but will be building on the initial force over the next few months. Heres what im considering buying so far.

1 Demon Prince
    1 thousand sons squad box
    2 normal chaos space marine squads
    1 squad of 5 terminators
    1 Obliterator
    1 Rhino
    1 Chaos Predator
    1 Defiler

That will be a very shooty force however and has nothing for CC other than the demon prince.

So yeah, im new to chaos, and have only ever played DE in the past year since I started 40k again, so any advice is welcome!
    Personally, i'd drop either the predator or the defiler for another obliterator and another rhino. Obliterators are brilliant, and you want to make the most out of them, and you want most your squads in rhinos (Thousand Sons can get away with not being in them, but normal CSM need a rhino 90% of the time).

What I would recommend is going into the army list section and looking at a few lists, then buying the codex and making a list or two of your own for us to critique. Its difficult to give advice just based on the models you are buying, and tweaking an existing army list will mean that th list is still closer to what you originally wanted.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Ive bought the codex already, so i'll do what you said.

Out of the predator and the defiler, what would be the best in an all round force? I did actually mean to write 2 rhino's in that list, ive learnt the importence of transports thanks to my DE army.

I'll write up a list shortly and post it in this thread, cheers for the ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a good list so far, you do have some CC, the defiler can be pretty awesome in CC, your normal chaos space marines are ok at CC too, although you may wish to put a heavy weapon in those squads like a rocket launcher or lascannon, general opinion is that a lascannon is one of the best armour popping weapons.

I would recommend getting

Arhiman (HQ) of the thousand sons
    2 more oblitorators
    landraider

i appreciate money is an issue, and these 4 units will run up about £54 but lets look at the pro's here to help you make a decision as to whether you will get them

Arhiman : access to 4 (or is it 5) psychic powers, the ability to use 3 psychic powers in the same turn, 3 wounds, has a force weapon (personally i love the guy, perfect leader for a thousand sons force).

2 Oblitorators : If you have played a game with your Oblitorator, you will no doubt appreciate the power and versatility of this unit. Choice of 6 weapons, 2+ armour save, 2 wounds, can deep strike. (the reason i say get 2 more is because you can make a squad of 3, helping you to distribute wounds accross them rather than having to take 2 wounds on your single oblitorator resulting in his death, 3 is the maximum squad size for 1 choice from the force organisation chart, you could also take them as singles (3 choices from force organisation).

Landraider : the "metal box" as many call it, 14 all round AV, 2 twin linked lascannons which can still fire if it moved up to 6", also serves as an excellent troop carrier, big LOS blocker to shield your advancing troops, becomes a fire magnet in most games but it does soak up a lot of damage unless you get very unlucky.

I hope this has helped
    Honour the fallen - for tomorrow they will be your brethren

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

If you want 'shooty' then obliterators and vindicators trump defilers and predators, in my opinion. Defilers are nice, but only when virtually everything in the army is in a transport, otherwise they're too easy to single out and kill.

I'd use 2 rhinos, 1 vindicator, a unit of 2-3 Obliterators, 1-2 daemon princes, 1 unit of deep striking terminators, and the rest in troops. If you want shooty, then noise marines and/or 1000 sons are the way to go. Plague marines are also pretty shooty if you give them plasma guns.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    If you want 'shooty' then obliterators and vindicators trump defilers and predators, in my opinion.
    Agreed,if you want the best shooting out of the chaos book go for obilterators.
    Eradicating chav scum since 2005!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

In my opinion Defilers are a must in a thousand sons army, the are all around good. They can shoot well (battle cannon or twinlinked autocannon), and the give a much needed hand in close combat.

Predators help against tanks and are a lot cheaper then obliterators.

CSM with the mark of tzeentch is good because you kit tehm out with champ with fist, 2 melta guns, rhino and icon and they can tackle anything in the game.
    "Iron Within, Iron Without"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Fluffy

Id go very fluffy

and its true that the defiler is tempting as hell to get for the battlecannon but he rarly get his points back

pie plate way is the vindicator

for the oblies well true that they are good but you are in no obligation to have them
    i really like to have a land raider since new rules make armor even more a treat to have

instead of termies i would bulk up in 1k sons

hard to be more precise since i dont have access to the codex atm but my what i wrote is just suggestions
    This is my Bolter. There is many like it but this one is mine. My bolter is my best hobby.....And i still hate dragons. Find out More at http://necrohammer-at-war.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

The main advantage of the Defiler over the Vindi is that you're trading a slightly less accurate pie-plate for additional close combat finesse. Also, most of the time, ordinance should be firing at troops, in which case, the increased stats of the Vindi's cannon aren't *that* significant. Of course, in cramped battles, the S10 is very convenient, when scattering off your main target often lands you a hit on a vehicle hull. This happens surprisingly often.

With the Defiler, you're guaranteed a first turn shot, whereas the Vindi, due to its short range, can sometimes fall short. This, tallied with weak side armor, means the Vindi is easily damaged by side-shots, which is especially concerning, since it must get relatively close to the enemy.

For Thousand Sons, who have very little ways of contending in close combat, the Defiler just seems the route to go between our two pie-plate models.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

say the truth

you are right rabbit, just that my defiler always been THE fire magnet so never last very long
    This is my Bolter. There is many like it but this one is mine. My bolter is my best hobby.....And i still hate dragons. Find out More at http://necrohammer-at-war.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast