Our best tank - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which Chaos tanks is best?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Land Raider w/ Daemonic Possession @ 240 pts

11 18.64%
  • Defiler w/ 2 x-tra CC-weapons @ 150 pts

21 35.59%
  • Vindicator w/ Daemonic Possession @ 145 pts

13 22.03%
  • Predator w/ Heavy Bolter Sponsons @ 100 pts

3 5.08%
  • Predator w/ Lascannon Sponsons @ 130 pts

4 6.78%
  • Predator w/ Lascannon Sponsons and TL Lascannon turret @ 165 pts

0 0%
  • There are better options in the Codex than Tanks. Thank you very much.

7 11.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our best tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Our best tank

Which one is the best tank in our Codex?

It's a simple question, yet a very hard one. It all comes down to personal playing style but also how each individual tank fits into the overall mentality of the codex. Our dear CSM and their cultist brethren all favour medium range combat (dual special weapon CSM squads with ubergrit, cheap rhinos,Karmoons Special terminators, etc.). So our tanks should follow up and provide close range firesupport. Or should they? Is the long range tank busting better? Is not the combination of transport and fire support superior? Or need it be on tracks?

Which is your favourite tank and why?

"The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

I voted for the Land raider with Daemonic Possession. It's tough and very reliable with possession.I transport Berzerkers with it so they can use it's Assault vehicle rule and assault straight out of it. It spells the doom for many a foe, unless it's shot down first. And even if it is destroyed it will have taken a substantial amount of fire away from my rhinos and my gamewinning CSM squads.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

The best tank? The one not in the list: the rhino.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

The reason why I didn't include the rhino is because it's weak armour value, it's lack of weaponry and the fact that it doesnt perform any role that compares to the other tanks in the poll except for tranportation. A tank is a mobile weapons platform used in aggressive or defensive combat, the rhino is a tranportation vehicle that can be fitted with weaponry used primarily for it's own protection [EDIT 2] ...or the protection of it's dismounted squad. [/EDIT 2]

Even if some people have opinions that differ from the ones I've just presented, the poll is what it is.

If the poll dealt with transportation vehicles I would have included the rhino.

[EDIT 1]... and yes it is indeed classified as a tank. I know that. The reasons for this in my opinion is for ramming purposes. It's still a heavy vehicle that is able to deal massive damage through ramming. Yet it doesnt perform any roles that you would select the other tanks to do.

... and the Dread should definately be there too. My mistake. If someone misses the Dread they can simply chose the Defiler option and explain themselves in a post.[/EDIT 1]
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; January 6th, 2010 at 16:48.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

EDIT: Mr_Wayne, I understand your reasoning for not including the rhino; however, it is indeed classified as a tank. Perhaps you should have worded your poll differently to prevent the obvious questions regarding the rhino's absence. What's more, a Defiler is classed as a walker (not tank), which makes me further wonder why the Dreadnought wasn't included. So really, this poll should be asking which of the following is the best offensive vehicle available to Chaos Marine players

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne View Post
    A tank is a mobile weapons platform used in aggressive or defensive combat, the rhino is a tranportation vehicle that can be fitted with weaponry used primarily for it's own protection
    I just have to point out how the rhino is most certainly a defensive vehicle when up against swarms. In fact, it's probably our most valuable asset in this scenario, since it can delay the enemy's assault via rhino-wall. Heck, I even use it as a blockade to control Ultra Marine spam. Just saying.

At any rate, I voted for the Defiler.
    Last edited by Rabbit; January 6th, 2010 at 19:00.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I voted for the better options in the codex..

I prefer to field Oblis and Rhinos, both are not in the List soo

Few reasons:
    LR with possession is though, i agree, but it's 240pts that's a lot of points, and it's not that efficient without content, and the Berserkers cost a lot as well..
    together with Rhinos and regular CSM it can be nasty i give you that. Still not a personal favor.

The Defiler, while nice with the Cannon and the extra CC, it's not artillery anymore and the CC is not that thought for the price. plus [insert discussion over Oblis vs. Defiler here].

Predator is cool with LasSpon and TLLC, but to expensive for the armour value plus the problem with only one single target = not that efficient.

And to explain why, I like the Rhinos with a combi weapon as a mobile cover for the Oblis.
    Of course the whole thing is really rather subjective..
    + We are changer, we are danger // Fallen angels, yet stranger +
    + WIP CSM & DH Exorcists in the making +

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

I realize that most people disagree with me, however, I personally find that our long range tank power sucks. Almost every game my opponent's tanks are lodged in buildings or hiding halfway behind the edge of terrain - Missile Launchers often seems like weaksauce to me and Lascannons are expensive and don't work that much with cover all around. I very frequently have to rely on Meltaguns to bust stuff open. Thus, I find Defilers are the most useful of my tanks - with some luck they can destory enemy squads one by one, but they also are a great threat that the enemy quickly targets (psychological weapon) and they can kill anything in assault (some games I've even used them to bring down Monoliths). While somewhat vulnerable, bringing a pair really helps to give you some great tactical options and fire power.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

I voted Defiler (big shocker here) because of how intimidating and powerful they are. Not only does it draw fire away from even my LR full of Berzerkers and Kharn, but it also dishes out the pain with it's Battle Cannon. I think a very close second place would be our Rhino, it's cheap, it's effective and without it, how would our troops get to their destination? The bus?? I think not!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Perhaps someone can explain to me the popularity with our possessed Vindicator over the Defiler. I just don't see it.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

Bigger, badder gun and better armour?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast