Best Dreadnought Configuration? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master of the Universe BIGphil22X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Best Dreadnought Configuration?

Hey all, I'm working on modeling up two chaos dreads, one which I bought about 4 years ago, when I was doing the buy anything that looks cool regardless of gaming potential thing, and another I am making from chaos bits and an old Mechwarrior model. They won't make it into my lists until about 2,500+ points, so they aren't army staples.

With that in mind, what are some of the best dreadnought weapon load-outs?

"Sanguine, my brother."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the extra clos combat weapon and to switch one of the twin linked bolters out for a haevy flamer. but thats just me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

The best config by far is the Missile Launcher, dread close combat weapon, and heavy flamer.

That way if it fire frenzies your own stuff you can choose to use the missiles that hurt less. If you would shoot your own armor use frags without worry.
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironangel256 View Post
    The best config by far is the Missile Launcher, dread close combat weapon, and heavy flamer.

That way if it fire frenzies your own stuff you can choose to use the missiles that hurt less. If you would shoot your own armor use frags without worry.
    Another perk to this particular configuration is that it gives us something relatively cheap for managing light armor. Our codex doesn't have much in the way of cost-effective options when it comes to transport busting; we're far more focussed on managing medium to heavy armor, such as enemy preds. This is another reason the missile dread has value- as a cheap rhino popper.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I'm a fan of plasma cannon+heavy flamer. I like this because of the sheer killing power that plasma cannons can output. However this does come at a risk. Should the dreadnaught fire frenzy you could have the plasma dumped on you instead. What I like doing is putting him off on a flank by himself and having him make a b-line (with the exception of good blocking cover for anything of mine in range) for HQ choices, exposed troops choices, and just generally provide grazing fire. Now being all on his lonesome out of the thick of things makes him non-priority. Some people will shoot at him with something good like a lascannon or two, which is good. It means they aren't being fired at the defilers or the rhinos (both of which are much more useful in the long run. But the flip side is that if the opponent does not deal with the dreadnaught in the early game it gums up even the best laid plans really quickly. Because once its in the thick of things it has a chance to fire its plasma cannon twice, and its heavy flamer. Or get into close combat.

As a side note, this works best in games of about 1000 to 1500 where the amount of anti-tank/big guns is generally a bit sparse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork-Titan View Post
    Personally I'm a fan of plasma cannon+heavy flamer. I like this because of the sheer killing power that plasma cannons can output. However this does come at a risk. Should the dreadnaught fire frenzy you could have the plasma dumped on you instead. What I like doing is putting him off on a flank by himself and having him make a b-line (with the exception of good blocking cover for anything of mine in range) for HQ choices, exposed troops choices, and just generally provide grazing fire. Now being all on his lonesome out of the thick of things makes him non-priority. Some people will shoot at him with something good like a lascannon or two, which is good. It means they aren't being fired at the defilers or the rhinos (both of which are much more useful in the long run. But the flip side is that if the opponent does not deal with the dreadnaught in the early game it gums up even the best laid plans really quickly. Because once its in the thick of things it has a chance to fire its plasma cannon twice, and its heavy flamer. Or get into close combat.

As a side note, this works best in games of about 1000 to 1500 where the amount of anti-tank/big guns is generally a bit sparse.
    This is the only other config worth while imo but as you said it does pretty much require you to stick the dread out on a flank on its own. Have you tried a plasma cannon + Missile Launcher + HF config? I find that to be even more deadly alone on a flank, plus it should be an even bigger fire magnet.

Master of the Universe BIGphil22X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Hey everyone thanks for such a rapid response!

I believe I am going to have to go with the CCW/ Missile Launcher/ Hvy Flamer option. It is dirt cheap for the effectiveness, and like what has been stated, can fire weeksauce frags at my own troops. Already started converting some.

This is not to say that the plasma isn't good, but I just don't wanna sink the points when the other version performs just fine for something like 95 points.
    "Sanguine, my brother."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

i have been going with the TL lascannons, keep him on the flanks. a few games ago he fire frenzied three times in a row, killed 3 tyranid warriors and one of my rhinos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

291 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner37 View Post
    ...and one of my rhinos
    That's why I can't field TL Lascannon dreads... The missile launcher imo is just as good, it does lose some of the str and AP but is so much safer and gives you the anti horde frag missile option as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Predators and oblits are much better options if you're looking for lascannons, both of which are generally better for anti-tank any way. My favorite set up is TL heavy bolters - it's cheap and puts out a lot of anti-infantry fire - my list is all mechanized, so it generally won't hurt anything of mine if it frenzies, or a pair of CCWs and a heavy flamer, which really just turns it into a giant fire-magnet / powerfist bait. But it's fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast