Spearhead sounds like lots of fun....... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spearhead sounds like lots of fun.......

So, I am sure we all spotted the new incoming of Spear Head. And to think Daemons didn't already have enough fun dealing with armor, Games Workshop has now gone ahead on the A-okay of making an expansion on an entire Vehicular expansion to the game. So? Who is ready to have fun? And now many Screamers will you be hopelessly spamming to try and deal with wave after wave after wave of tanks?

First off, I am probably blowing this out of proportion, but I hate dealing with Armor, in my games with Daemons, it is really the only thing that wrecks them and puts an utter halt on the Daemonic Assault (Other then IG Veterans who have been given First/Second Rank Fire and loads of special weapons.) I think it is fair to say that Daemon hate armor a lot more then any other race and now with this up coming set they are going to be spamming it.

To face off against Armor problems in the past, I have tried a few things to combat them...

Greater Daemons: These guys pop them open like tin cans, its a shame that they are always blow away by a group of basic guys via rapid fire. But seeing these critically reduced, they might get better by a noticeably better.

Screamers: Flying Melta Bombs that move 24' and have a +4 Inv Save? For only 16 points and it takes up a otherwise worthless Fast Attack slot? Where do I sign? Then in fine print at the bottom of the page gives me little warning of their total lack to hit anything in melee and that they die to basic rapid fire weapons.

Daemon Princes: See Greater Daemon/ Soul Grinder for more info.*

Soul Grinders: These guys rock, but with their anti-armor attack suffering from a BS 3 and a truck load of memories of a few games where I never killed anything with it makes me think twice. Plus, in an all-armor fight, 85% or more of the foe's vehicals have anti tank weaponry. With one lucky shot a Soul Grinder is gone, then is down graded to an average shot when melta is involved. In the up comming ifhgts I think I will be picking up Daemon Princes for the heavy instead of Grinders, as where one Multi-Melta would wreck a Soul Grinder in one shot, a Daemon Prince of Tzeentch has a 50% of just saying "No" or taking 1 wound out of four.

Heralds and Horrors: Bolt and Fire use to solve so many of my problems with infantry and transports it was not even funny. But now, I don't think even the constant spam of cheap Bolts will keep an armor company from rolling over these guys. The only real plus I can see it that they get a +4 inv save that might help against the few lascannon bolts or Lance flying at them from vehicles.

Heralds of Nurgle:.....Lets not talk about it......

So what I really want to know form you guys is do you think Games Workshop will lend a helping hand in some way to Daemons or do you think they will just sort of ignore us? Also on how you plan on dealing with the advancing approach of 100+ tanks?

Last edited by Trouser Tyrant; March 16th, 2010 at 02:01.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, btw, Have fun loosing mono-Nurgle, and Iron Hide is not as great as it use to be with this expansion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Fiends, Flesh Hounds, and Tzeralds/DPs with bolt have always been ==My== go-to armor hunters.

Massed S5 attacks, even hitting on 6's will shred AV10 (most vehicles) and can slow down AV11 enough. AV12 and up is trickier, hence the need for bolt (preferably on a mobile platform so you can get side shots easier.

6 Fiends charging is 36 attacks, 6 hit, 1 pentrates, 1 glances. .33 destroyed results, .66 immobilized/stunning results. Not too shabby, considering how cheap, mobile and multi-purpose they are.

I don't care much about expansions, they generally throw balance out the window for sake of spectacle (buy more models!!!)
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See, those are answers to normal armor. Fiends are not going to stand up to a front line wave of Land Raiders or Russ. Being the key problem, is how to deal with countless chucks of armor that is more then problibly going to be the best tanks from that books army.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    191 (x3)

Gw's attempt to get the player to buy 40-55$ models and field anywhere between 10-15 of them in an average game.. Its good marketing stratagy... I imagine they will tinker with the FOC and let you take 8 heavy or so. Maybe they even throw in some superheavys or forgeworld stuff. Basicly apoc. with a gearing toward tanks..
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Russes are rear AV10 and 11, so no worries there

Land Raiders are always a problem, we don't have anything to reliably stop them. Your best bet is to present so many targets that a handul of LR don't pose much of a threat, kill the support, and draw the units hiding inside their Raiders out (by snagging/contesting objectives, presenting obvious targets to lure them out, or killing off their support).
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, Russ have a bad rear, but its the fact of a main weapon that can fire with sponsors on the move. When twin Heavy Bolters and the large blast templates go flying is what I have problems with. As for the Land Raider, that is what I do now (or send Screamers after them, they always get lucky for me when I throw them against land raiders.) But I have a feeling with this Tanks and Armor will be able to score, so they may never have to leave the safety of their AV 14 fortress.

No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

Who is to say deamons won't get suitable selections to match other armies' armor? You know, a formation of Soulgrinders, deamon princes, or greater deamons doesn't sound too bad.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be nice, or if they made stats or integrated into the main stream rules for the Forge World Daemon Engines that come in Squadrons of 1-3. In normal games Blight Drones are priceless, but I think they will be rendered ineffective in an armor fight. The Blood Slaughters, although overpriced IMO, could still tear apart armor and may be the answer to Land Raiders.

I can't see having squads of Greater Daemons, but I can see them adding 1 extra HQ choice. I really hope they have the 3 for 1 slot for Daemon Princes, like what Nids' have for the Fexs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be nice, or if they made stats or integrated into the main stream rules for the Forge World Daemon Engines that come in Squadrons of 1-3. In normal games Blight Drones are priceless, but I think they will be rendered ineffective in an armor fight. The Blood Slaughters, although overpriced IMO, could still tear apart armor and may be the answer to Land Raiders.

I can't see having squads of Greater Daemons, but I can see them adding 1 extra HQ choice. I really hope they have the 3 for 1 slot for Daemon Princes, like what Nids' have for the Fexs.

+ Reply to Thread