Crack Unit of Chosen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crack Unit of Chosen

Howdy!
    I've been coming up with some awkward point totals lately while working on some awkward point total games (1575, 1625, 1825). My gaming group likes to mix it up each week so we don't keep running the same lists. It works because we all have an abundance of models for our armies (what a problem, right!?), and are pretty lenient with substitutions.
    So this past time, I had around 150 points left and decided to try and run a Chosen unit.

Chosen (5)
    5x Flamers, Rhino
    For 150 points!

The goal was to outflank and hopefully wipe out some Heavy infantry (ie Devastators, Havocs, Long Fangs, Lootas {?}, Fire Warriors or ANY infantry that tends to hang back) with an absurd amount of hits via Flamers. In the game, they popped out and on the second turn, bathed 6 Devastators in hellish flames causing 20 hits, 9 wounds and NO DEATHS! The next turn they were splattered by half an assault squad with a Chaplain.
    It looked good on paper.
    Anyone have any tactics for our only outflankers/infiltrators?
    A while back I tried to load up 5 of em with all Plasmaguns and infiltrate 18inches from the side of a Predator with me getting turn 1... only to lose the initiative and have them get wiped out. Some veterans! HA!

"Men attract not what they want but instead what they are."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flamer chosen fair much better against mob type lists. Remember the flamer is essentially a bolter. And against MEQs you can throw bolter shots at each other all day and there is a good chance that you will do nothing. But against hoard armies like Orks, Nids, Kroot, Guard and then the lightly armored enemies like both flavors of Eldar the flamer is capable of laying down the hurt.

Against most MEQ or better lists the best options are Melta or Plasma. Now a lot of people don't like plasma cause of the fairly good chance it will kill its user. However I like it. The killing potential capable in it is very high and the flexibility it allows for make it totally worth it in my opinion. Melta on the other hand is everyone's favorite toy. The full melta chosen unit is probably our best tank hunting unit in the game, not to mention that with 4-5 melta shots is also a legitimate threat to heavy infantry. The plasma shines against heavy infantry and light vehicles. At rapid fire range you can pump off 10 plasma shots, which is nothing to sneeze at. Albeit you are likely gonna need to roll something like 3-4 armor saves as guys are gonna start melting. However those 6-7 hits are all likely gonna kill something. Which will truely devastate a tactical squad/heavy weapon squad/terminator squad/light vehicle squadron. But all things considered the firey chosen are also a good choice for the whole 20 hits thing they can do but targeting heavy infantry with it is a misuse of resources.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

You've pretty much outlined the issue with a min/max rhino squad of chosen. They have no staying power, are a high target, and can't retaliate in close combat. For 150 points, you're better off taking a 4 man squad of termis with combi-plasmas. The delivery system is more accurate (albeit less consistent), they have solid staying power, and can counter an attack in close combat.

However, for chosen, there's really a couple variants I advocate on these boards:

1) Special Weapons Support Platform
    Chaos Chosen Squad- 153
    *6x chosen
    **3x plasma guns

Notes: A nice little unit that doesn't draw much attention. Can threaten most vehicles and help cover the open channels of the board. Decent at protecting your flank from bikes and assault troops. Also provides close proximity to enemy lines for bringing in a Greater Daemon (providing you add a champ).

2) Spearhead Support Squad
    Chaos Chosen Squad- 259
    *8x chosen with Icon of Khorne
    *3x plasma guns
    *1x champion with fist

Notes: Probably our best all-around unit, that is, if it weren't for the lack of objective holding. Produces a respectable level of rapid fire power. Can handle itself in close combat, either in a combined attack or solo.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Rabbit! You forget one important aspect of your squad choices: the coolness of having a painted and appropriately modeled squad of 5 Chosen with flamers.
    I can picture it now, all five of them tooled out to each look unique, posed cool with a magma effect paint scheme over black armor. With a matching Rhino and Champion of course!
    I can see it now...
    I will see if I can grab a picture of the Rhino I've done in the scheme and post it soon. That Rhino has needed a squad to match it for a while now... Perhaps I should just do magnetized special weapons and make 8 or 9 dudes.
    "Men attract not what they want but instead what they are."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Got a point there, Brymm. I'd rather have a sub-par unit that is fully painted and properly phys repped any day of the week.
    Last edited by Rabbit; April 3rd, 2010 at 19:49.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

a frozen hell from which there is no escape (Utah)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Brymm View Post
    Howdy!
    I've been coming up with some awkward point totals lately while working on some awkward point total games (1575, 1625, 1825). My gaming group likes to mix it up each week so we don't keep running the same lists. It works because we all have an abundance of models for our armies (what a problem, right!?), and are pretty lenient with substitutions.
    So this past time, I had around 150 points left and decided to try and run a Chosen unit.

Chosen (5)
    5x Flamers, Rhino
    For 150 points!

The goal was to outflank and hopefully wipe out some Heavy infantry (ie Devastators, Havocs, Long Fangs, Lootas {?}, Fire Warriors or ANY infantry that tends to hang back) with an absurd amount of hits via Flamers. In the game, they popped out and on the second turn, bathed 6 Devastators in hellish flames causing 20 hits, 9 wounds and NO DEATHS! The next turn they were splattered by half an assault squad with a Chaplain.
    It looked good on paper.
    Anyone have any tactics for our only outflankers/infiltrators?
    A while back I tried to load up 5 of em with all Plasmaguns and infiltrate 18inches from the side of a Predator with me getting turn 1... only to lose the initiative and have them get wiped out. Some veterans! HA!

Sounds like your Crack Unit... got cracked!

*sunglasses*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I've been toying with Rabbit's option number 1 for Chosen in my Death Guard army, and it's treated me fairly well. As the rest of my army tends to rush forwards in the opponent's face (winged DP, Rhinos, CCW Defiler, etc.), I've used this squad as a channel blocker as Rabbit also mentioned. Some players are a bit skittish about moving things into their range, so even if they don't get a lot of shots off in a game, I feel they're worthwhile if they helped defend an objective in that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i preffer heavy chosen

5 chosen
    5 meltaguns
    1 rhino

full stop
    hope this helps

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

I prefer the KILL ME OR DIE chosen
    6 Chosen, 3 meltas, 137 pts.

Super cheap, super killy.
    Nurgle, the freshmaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I endorse chosen with plasma guns, I modelled five fallen DA chosen and they rapid fired everyturn and no one died to gets hot. They took out a lot of models, they are perfect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast