Opinions on this unit... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Opinions on this unit...

I was reading another forum and somebody suggested the following;

Havoc or Chosen squad with 4 Plasmaguns, Rhino, and a Close Combat independent character (Kharne, Lucious, Dual Lightning claw Lord... you get the idea)

Marines get out and rapidfire, IC separates from squad, and assaults next turn, while marines hang back and continue rapidfiring.

This seems like it could do some serious damage to any unit in the game.

My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I see two main problems. One, the character in a Rhino would have difficulty assaulting out of a Rhino; the enemy would have to be quite close. Two, the limitations on how many Marines can shoot out of a Rhino. The unit's only practical use would be for the squad to climb out one side while the IC climbs out the other (since the IC must be over 2" away from the unit to count as having left it), and then hoping that the enemy is so close that there will still be target models within charge range of the IC after taking a lot of plasma dakka. That's a very specific set of circumstances. You could point them at different targets, of course, but it still doesn't seem an earthshaking idea.

Of course, a lot of that could be patched up with the Lash...but it's still a lot of points riding around in a Rhino.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

aeroplane, I've used this setup before to great effect. It isn't *that* difficult to get a special character into close combat via rhino. In fact, against MEQs, it's highly consistent. Something like this:

5x havocs
    *4x plasma guns

+

Kharn

I prefer this kind of throw-away squad in the havoc configuration, because they can disembark with Kharn and soften up enemy lines, either prior to Kharn's charge or as a counter against a second incoming enemy squad. It's really not a bad strategy at all.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I use this sort of configuration in two ways:

Havocs with 2x meltas and 2x flamers, ICG and rhino.
    Kharn

You drive up to their lines asap.
    You stop in their lines, shooting either the melta's or flamers, or popping smoke. (there's also a few rhino's with zerkers about so it's more effective.)

In your next turn, don't move the rhino. You can then disembark and charge.
    Honest - If the vehicle hasn't moved you can get out and charge, assault vehicle or not.
    p.s. I'd recommend seperating kharn, you can get multiple units this way in one turn. and there's no chance of him killing your own men.

I also have my fave unit of chosen, who outflank (as they come with infiltrate) who used to have 4x plasma guns but now have twin melta and twin flamer (and IKG, champ and fist). Originally designed to kill ork mobs, they actually kill, well, anything.
    Their record is 10x tac and 5x devastators (turn of arrival), then a dreadnaught, 5x assault marines and a chaplain. The two remaining men would have been given a pat on the back. and a WELL DONE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by aeroplane View Post
    I was reading another forum and somebody suggested the following;

Havoc or Chosen squad with 4 Plasmaguns, Rhino, and a Close Combat independent character (Kharne, Lucious, Dual Lightning claw Lord... you get the idea)

Marines get out and rapidfire, IC separates from squad, and assaults next turn, while marines hang back and continue rapidfiring.

This seems like it could do some serious damage to any unit in the game.
    To answer your last question: yes, it can seriously damage any unit in the game, but it would depend on WHEN you commit this unit. When your army is close to your enemy,
    then go right ahead, but if this unit is the only one to be near the enemy, it will be dealt with severely. It will depend on how heavy the countermeasure(s) is/are and how much
    trouble the enemy is going to have removing this unit to get a good swap for your points invested.
    ------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I've always had sucess with a 10 Man havoc squad with 4 Flamers and the Mark of Khorne. The unit is just Death to hoards. Sometimes they even get a Land Raider to roam about in. It's quite a nice, cheap little anti infantry/combat unit.

+ Reply to Thread